Should BRTD travel to Syria and join the rebels?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:45:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Should BRTD travel to Syria and join the rebels?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should BRTD travel to Syria and join the rebels?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Should BRTD travel to Syria and join the rebels?  (Read 803 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2014, 08:56:46 PM »

It seems quite popular with the Somali population of Minneapolis. Seems like a hipster move in my opinion.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 09:08:39 PM »

Go for it.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 09:33:56 PM »

I wonder if they have Egret portals there.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2014, 09:38:57 PM by the blue man group won't cure depression »

I wonder if they have Egret portals there.

There aren't any. I didn't have to check now since I did a long time ago. People were talking about solidarity between the Resistance in game and anti-Assad resistance, just as we did with people in Turkey that were still claiming portals in areas under assault by riot police while protesting Erdogan (and a lot of global salutes to the Turkish Resistance for what they were doing in game and in real life at the same time) and the people in Ukraine and those in the local Resistance there standing up to Putin. That's what Resistance is all about.

Of course Simfan fits the profile of an Enlightened player to a T.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 09:39:58 PM »

And who would play the bad guys? The Syrian Army, with their own portals? And I suppose in between shooting at each other they'd play a game?

This is perhaps the most ridiculous thing I've heard from you yet.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 09:44:45 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2014, 09:48:05 PM by the blue man group won't cure depression »

And who would play the bad guys? The Syrian Army, with their own portals? And I suppose in between shooting at each other they'd play a game?

This is perhaps the most ridiculous thing I've heard from you yet.

Well there aren't any portals in Syria. What was rumored to be planned was creating a control field over Syria using portals in Israel, Turkey and Armenia or Georgia (basically draw a triangle between those locations). But the logistics of that would be quite difficult to say the least.

But in Turkey it's known that the Turkish Resistance basically kept on fighting the thugs to get to their portals while the Turkish Enlightened fled like cowards. And the Resistance dominate most of the most anti-Russian areas in Ukraine.

In all fairness though it's worth noting one of the most prominent Russian Enlightened members has been pretty critical of Putin in his non-Ingress writings and called his country's actions in Ukraine an absolutely disgrace.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 09:48:11 PM »

So you are telling me what really caused the Turkish riots were people trying to play your Egret game. Got it.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 09:48:56 PM »

Is there an Ingress portal in Syria?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 09:51:34 PM »

So you are telling me what really caused the Turkish riots were people trying to play your Egret game. Got it.

No. I'm saying it didn't stop people from playing it.

Also there was a report of at least one protester in Turkey holding up a sign with the in-game Resistance logo on it and captioned something like "It's right to resist!" in Turkish.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 10:01:35 PM »

BRTD, morbid curiosity, and I know I shouldn't be encouraging you, but do you think I'd be Enlightened or Resistance?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 10:13:35 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2014, 10:18:09 PM by the blue man group won't cure depression »

BRTD, morbid curiosity, and I know I shouldn't be encouraging you, but do you think I'd be Enlightened or Resistance?

You'd be whichever side the friend who recruited you was. You have traits of both, but none of the type of person who'd actually sign up on their own. But if you did just happen to sign up...pragmatism would perhaps lead to Resistance. Enlightened seem a bit too True Left in some ways (even though they're also full of annoying faux-intellectuals, Paulite-style libertarians and for some reason: Lots of "bros".) Here's Wikipedia's summary:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

FWIW the way each side views the other per the plot is that the Enlightened are a cult like a megalomaniac who was killed in 2011 but actually entered some sort of extrasensory dimension afterwards in contact with aliens/extra-dimensional beings trying to control the Earth and prowled electronic systems recruiting people to his cause who was resurrected via Enlightened operations at the end of 2013 into a physical body who claims he will lift humanity to a new era and worship a new mysterious energy source while preaching against the evils of AIs and now throwing slogans like "Earth is for the living, not for the machines!" while the Resistance are a bunch of paranoid luddites afraid of the unknown backed by a largely corporate and shadowy parts of the government conspiracy while being led by a rogue AI who now appears to be occupying the body of a young Scottish woman and is trying to read the minds of many people under her control fields in order to design more prototypes for human/AI hybrids that will be able to throw off all external influences.

Also the current story arc revolves around a Enlightened supporting researcher who was found to be dead...but then appeared to be not dead, but it turns out that actually he is and in fact the current version of him is actually some sort of clone, but the clone is going to die soon as a result of the Resistance's actions and victory in the last arc (If you couldn't tell already these arcs are sort of "Choose Your Own Adventure" style based on who wins the last arc) so now the Enlightened are trying to save and preserve his memories while the Resistance are trying to block these actions and give more access to be able to observe and possibly replicate human mental functions to the AI ADA (who two of my teammates named their daughter after.)

Yeah it's that type of storyline.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, 10:20:09 PM »

the AI ADA (who two of my teammates named their daughter after.)

Lovelace?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 10:28:35 PM »

No, her name isn't even Ada, it just starts with those three letters. But it definitely comes from the game. Also she wears a Resistance onesie.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »

Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 09:59:57 PM »

Pages: [1]