Refugee Crisis For Undocumented Children
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:58:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Refugee Crisis For Undocumented Children
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Refugee Crisis For Undocumented Children  (Read 779 times)
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2014, 01:09:09 PM »

CNN reports that due to instability in some Central American nations, many children are opting to come to the United States alone, without their parents or guardians, in hopes of a safer and better life, posing a quandry for enforcement of border security.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 10:53:52 AM »

As this story develops, the Los Angeles Times and conservative Washington Examiner have provided additional insight.

The LA Times refers to the issue as a humanitarian crisis caused by the excessive violence in "Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador" and points out that shelters are being put in place for the children, while the Examiner's Michael Barone argues that some of the children coming to the United States from Central America came because they thought that their arrival was legal due to their status as unaccompanied minors.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 11:09:13 AM »

The obvious solution for their own safety is to send every detained child migrant who comes alone back to their parents or next of kin via their country of origins consulate.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 09:17:16 AM »

Further evidence that our immigration regime is morally bankrupt and arbitrary.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 08:29:58 PM »

The obvious solution for their own safety is to send every detained child migrant who comes alone back to their parents or next of kin via their country of origins consulate.

A lot of these children are actually coming to be with their parents who are here already illegally in the US.  The children were staying back in their home countries with family while the parents send back remittances.  But with the danger from violent gangs, the parents are sending for the children, along side many youths who come here without family.

Meursault
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 08:34:37 PM »

Michael Barone, lmao
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 06:39:50 AM »

Which country's immigration "regime" should we copy?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 06:48:20 AM »

CBS Evening news last night placed this entirely at the feet of the misconception that there is a perception that there was amnesty waiting for them in the US or if they got in by a certain month, they would be allowed to stay.

Like shua said though, there is more then one dimension to this of course. I find it surprising that CBS would take this line on this issue though.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 12:16:04 PM »

A lot of these children are actually coming to be with their parents who are here already illegally in the US.  The children were staying back in their home countries with family while the parents send back remittances.  But with the danger from violent gangs, the parents are sending for the children, along side many youths who come here without family.

Well, in that case, we ought to detain the children until their parents come forward so they can all be deported.

CBS Evening news last night placed this entirely at the feet of the misconception that there is a perception that there was amnesty waiting for them in the US or if they got in by a certain month, they would be allowed to stay.

Like shua said though, there is more then one dimension to this of course. I find it surprising that CBS would take this line on this issue though.
From what I have heard, corrupt elements of the Mexican government are spreading these rumors as a lot of them are involved in the trafficking of people through Mexico and into the United States.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 12:48:33 PM »

It's easy to see why these rumors exist. There is certainly a lot of people who come here and stay and aren't deported, and the relation between current policies and reality on this are hard enough for Americans to understand, much less people who don't speak English and/or live in another country.  On the news some high-level bureaucrat was criticizing potential immigrants for believing they have a chance at being allowed to stay - it was ridiculous.  I'm reminded of the slaves who when the civil war begun believed if they made it to the Union lines, they would be free, a rumor that only became a reality after the slaves acted on the belief that it was true.  For myself, I cannot see how it can be right to deport children and their families back into Central American death traps.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 12:27:43 PM »

As this story develops, the Los Angeles Times and conservative Washington Examiner have provided additional insight.

The LA Times refers to the issue as a humanitarian crisis caused by the excessive violence in "Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador" and points out that shelters are being put in place for the children, while the Examiner's Michael Barone argues that some of the children coming to the United States from Central America came because they thought that their arrival was legal due to their status as unaccompanied minors.

I have personal connections to El Salvador. In fact I spent time there doing missionary work in a very  poverty area due to the civil war of the 70's and 80's. Between my contacts and personal experience El Salvador, there is more law and order than you think since the war. Could be possible that they are speaking of the border area between Honduras and El Salvador, which when I was there I didn't see any sort of excessive violence whatsoever. Could things on the ground have changed since I was there? That's entirely possible.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 04:30:20 PM »

The one that allowed your family to emigrate here, of course.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 04:49:07 PM »

cop out
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 06:08:12 PM »

cop out

How is that a cop out? It's a very straightforward answer that succinctly explains my position in favor of a liberalized immigration system that reflects not only history but the idea that ethical obligations should supersede vulgar nationalism.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 06:48:23 PM »

Well you started out saying
You seem to be implying that the US's immigration "regime" is worse than other places.  Which lead me to ask which country's "regime" would make you happy.  If you think ALL modern countries immigration "regime" is morally bankrupt, that's fine (ignorant, but fine), but you should have been more clear in your first post.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies