Has anybody here ever seen the 'Phantasm' films?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:21:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Has anybody here ever seen the 'Phantasm' films?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Has anybody here ever seen the 'Phantasm' films?  (Read 350 times)
Meursault
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2014, 03:13:18 AM »

They're a series of four surreal horror movies - Phantasm (1979), Phantasm II (1988), Phantasm III: Lord of the Dead (1993), and Phantasm: OblIVion (1998) - directed by Don Coscarelli, the guy behind the other cult horror flicks Bubba Ho-Tep and John Dies At The End.

The Phantasm films are very strange, almost disturbing. They're sort of like the A Nightmare On Elm Street series in their emphasis on strange visuals and dreamscapes, but are much less formulaic and conventional. The plot, loosely, is about an extradimensional undertaker ("the Tall Man") who steals the bodies of the dead to reanimate them as servile dwarves in his home dimension. He turns their brains into murderous mechanical spheres.

Well, I ask because, after sixteen years, the fifth and final movie, Phantasm: RaVager, is being released this October. Which makes me very happy, as the fellow who plays the Tall Man, Angus Scrimm, is pushing ninety.
Meursault
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 09:48:08 PM »

=-[
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 10:15:56 PM »

Phantasm was a great movie but for some reason I never got around to seeing any of the sequels. Scrimm was fantastic; I didn't know he was still alive and I don't think I've seen him in anything else. Was he in Bubba Ho-Tep? I've seen Bubba Ho-Tep, but it's been ages.
Meursault
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 10:29:33 PM »

This is one of the few horror franchises where each film is of about the same quality as the original. The series shifts tonally in the second and third pictures - they're less dreamy than the original and more slapdash black humor ala Evil Dead - but OblIVion is easily the most surreal, and features a lot of cut scenes from the original, used as flashbacks. They're all worth seeing.

I think Scrimm may have had a brief cameo in Bubba Ho-Tep, but I can't recall. I know he did in John Dies At The End.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 10:35:54 PM »

This is one of the few horror franchises where each film is of about the same quality as the original. The series shifts tonally in the second and third pictures - they're less dreamy than the original and more slapdash black humor ala Evil Dead - but OblIVion is easily the most surreal, and features a lot of cut scenes from the original, used as flashbacks. They're all worth seeing.

That's really good to know. I might seek out the rest of these.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

From what I've heard about John Dies at the End it seems like the sort of movie I'd enjoy. How would you describe its tone by comparison to Bubba Ho-Tep or, say, the original Little Shop of Horrors?
Meursault
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 10:39:40 PM »

I'd actually compare it to a funnier, somewhat less overtly horror-themed Drag Me To Hell - there's quite a bit of overlap between Coscarelli's style and Raimi's generally.
Meursault
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 10:46:01 PM »

Also, the weird thing about OblIVion and its flashbcks is that it suggests that even the parts of the film set in the 'present day' of 1998 (parts of the picture involve time travel) happen contemporaneously as the 1979 original.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 11:47:01 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2014, 02:55:37 AM by asexual trans victimologist »

I'd actually compare it to a funnier, somewhat less overtly horror-themed Drag Me To Hell - there's quite a bit of overlap between Coscarelli's style and Raimi's generally.

That sounds excellent. I have various crows to pluck with some of Raimi's more recent work but his a lot of his stuff I still enjoy quite a lot.

Also, the weird thing about OblIVion and its flashbcks is that it suggests that even the parts of the film set in the 'present day' of 1998 (parts of the picture involve time travel) happen contemporaneously as the 1979 original.

I recently read a novel involving time travel in which one timeline seemed to be set in multiple different stages of Internet culture's development at the same time--by an author who was clearly familiar with Internet culture--so I'm used that sort of thing at this point. This was a book that was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize, incidentally.
Meursault
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 09:05:52 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1wOobOGa4w
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies