Military Has "Vested Interest" in Common Core, Needs "Pool of Young"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:39:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Military Has "Vested Interest" in Common Core, Needs "Pool of Young"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Military Has "Vested Interest" in Common Core, Needs "Pool of Young"  (Read 874 times)
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2014, 04:47:01 AM »

http://dailycallernewsfoundation.org/2014/06/13/generals-defend-common-core/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 04:49:03 AM »

Well that makes me even more likely to oppose Common Core.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 07:29:54 AM »

Well they do. I don't see how that's any different from tech firms wanting schools to teach children how to code so that they can effectively have taxpayers subsidize their employee training.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:45:42 AM »

This is interesting. While each state should have the right to form its own education policy without interference from outside forces, even other states (my main quibble with Common Core), it is telling that some military leaders feel that Common Core will improve the education of Americans to an extent that makes Common Core beneficial for our armed forces.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 08:39:39 AM »

Well they do. I don't see how that's any different from tech firms wanting schools to teach children how to code so that they can effectively have taxpayers subsidize their employee training.

It's different because people who join tech firms aren't at risk of being killed to benefit Halliburton.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:02:19 AM »

It's different because people who join tech firms aren't at risk of being killed to benefit Halliburton.

Surely you'd agree, though, that the interests of the US military align somewhat more closely with those of the American public at large than the interests of, say, Google or Amazon.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 09:34:03 AM »

Surely you'd agree, though, that the interests of the US military align somewhat more closely with those of the American public at large than the interests of, say, Google or Amazon.
Let's see...innovative companies who serve consumers, or a massive imperial behemoth that wastes billions of taxpayer dollars on crappy weapons systems, useless foreign projects, and failed invasions...I'm gonna have to go with the former...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 09:59:55 AM »

Ditto. Google and Amazon do the world far more good than the US military does. Think back to 2003: which of those institutions is doing the US and world in general the most harm?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 10:16:08 AM »

Ditto. Google and Amazon do the world far more good than the US military does. Think back to 2003: which of those institutions is doing the US and world in general the most harm?

There are a lot of people who would not have made it out of Birkenau alive were it not for the US military who would disagree with you. Every African-American who is a descendant of a former slave ought to disagree with you. The people of South Korea would disagree with you.

But thank goodness for Amazon. Where would we be as a society if you couldn't order a dildo or an iPad case online, have a bunch of people in sweatshop conditions run through a warehouse to locate it, and have it shipped to you for free in 3 to 5 business days? 
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 10:27:30 AM »

I think the term 'operator error' comes to mind here (if you're of the opinion that the operator was in error of course). You can't blame the U.S military for doing their job, and them doing their job is not a reason to attempt to make their activities more difficult.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 10:58:36 AM »

There are a lot of people who would not have made it out of Birkenau alive were it not for the US military who would disagree with you. Every African-American who is a descendant of a former slave ought to disagree with you. The people of South Korea would disagree with you.

But thank goodness for Amazon. Where would we be as a society if you couldn't order a dildo or an iPad case online, have a bunch of people in sweatshop conditions run through a warehouse to locate it, and have it shipped to you for free in 3 to 5 business days? 

That's why I said "do", present tense. And the reference to 2003. It's obvious what I was referring to.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 11:24:43 AM »

Having a population who can think critically, rather than having one who can rotely recite trivia that could be just as easily produced by a simple google search, benefits everybody. If this is the marketing necessary to get the right wing rubes on board, I'm all for it.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 11:49:16 AM »

Well that makes me even more likely to oppose Common Core.

The military also accepts the existence of man-made global warming and believes we need to do something about it.  Does their stance make you want to become a climate denialist?

I think there are a lot of things to dislike about our bloated military, but on issues like this I think they are in fact worthy of trust despite that, since their interest is clearly in getting the facts right rather than politiciking and pleasing certain corporations or cultural resentments.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 01:00:34 PM »

Common Core has been innocuous from the get-go. The awkward political turmoil surrounding Common Core reminds me of the unwarranted bipartisan opposition to "death panels", a stance that stemmed from ignorance about Medicare and how it fails.

Anyone who has moved from state to state during compulsory education, particularly during high school, understands the difficulties of doing interstate curricular audits. They would also understand that Common Core is something desired by the states to simplify academic audits and provide better information to the state university systems.

One of the most dangerous phenomena in any socioeconomic system is protectionism and fragmentation. Our public school system resembles the warring city-states of ancient Greece. Common Core is a bare bones reform, with virtually no loss of freedom. Most states are already working on much more challenging and effective reforms.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 08:34:53 PM »

That's why I said "do", present tense. And the reference to 2003. It's obvious what I was referring to.

The U.S. military has given us some great benefits throughout history.  I think that Indy Texas just wanted to point that out before we start bashing the Iraq War.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 05:45:40 PM »

Common Core has been innocuous from the get-go. The awkward political turmoil surrounding Common Core reminds me of the unwarranted bipartisan opposition to "death panels", a stance that stemmed from ignorance about Medicare and how it fails.

Anyone who has moved from state to state during compulsory education, particularly during high school, understands the difficulties of doing interstate curricular audits. They would also understand that Common Core is something desired by the states to simplify academic audits and provide better information to the state university systems.

One of the most dangerous phenomena in any socioeconomic system is protectionism and fragmentation. Our public school system resembles the warring city-states of ancient Greece. Common Core is a bare bones reform, with virtually no loss of freedom. Most states are already working on much more challenging and effective reforms.

Other than the..."odd" comparison of our public school system to warring Greek city states, this is maybe the most accurate thing AD has ever posted.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 08:52:08 PM »

Do we really want our cashiers and waiters to get dumber?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 06:55:40 AM »

The irony here is quite rich. Google and Amazon owe their very existence to the US military. The DoD developed the ARPAnet from the 60's through 80's as the original internet. The DoD allowed it to be decommissioned as a public entity in 1990 to pave the way for unrestricted private use. It's the innovations funded by the military during the ARPAnet era that provide the basic electronic protocols that Google and Amazon rely on to do business.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 09:03:49 AM »

Guys, good education standards don't stop being good because the military supports them.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies