Late term abortion basically outlawed in Florida
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:28:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Late term abortion basically outlawed in Florida
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Late term abortion basically outlawed in Florida  (Read 2017 times)
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2014, 06:41:19 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 07:18:38 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2014, 09:16:19 PM by DEATH TO AMERICA! »

I have a consistent approach to this. I don't support killing innocent babies, and I don't support killing convicted criminals. For some reason there are a lot of people who support the former but not the latter. To me this is good news.
Meursault
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 07:25:16 PM »

Christian natalism is a horrific parody of the values rooted in the Earth. In a thousand years our descendants will regard our religious humanists, and their secular inheritors, as monsters.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:27:13 PM »

Fascism is pretty awful, too.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 07:30:46 PM »

Christian natalism is a horrific parody of the values rooted in the Earth. In a thousand years our descendants will regard our religious humanists, and their secular inheritors, as monsters.

What are "values rooted in the Earth"? 
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 07:44:53 PM »

What are "values rooted in the Earth"? 

Trees that are hundreds of years old with coupons near the end of the root?
Meursault
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 08:06:33 PM »

Values which are anchored in soil. Among these are cultivation. Floridans should know about that.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 08:23:38 PM »

Great news!
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 08:26:18 PM »

Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 08:30:24 PM »

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 08:36:08 PM »

I have a consistent approach to this. I don't support killing innocent babies, and I don't support killing criminals. For some reason there are people who support killing the former but not the latter. To is good news.
My position as well. Glad to see this has passed - should be the law nationwide.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 08:37:28 PM »

I have a consistent approach to this. I don't support killing innocent babies, and I don't support killing criminals. For some reason there are people who support killing the former but not the latter. To is good news.
My position as well. Glad to see this has passed - should be the law nationwide.

Same, I oppose late term abortion except under very specific circumstances.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 08:45:44 PM »

Inaccurate thread title.  Late term abortion was already basically outlawed there, as it is in most and possibly all states.  The bill kept the exception to the ban if a mother's life is at risk or to prevent irreversible physical impairment of a mother's major bodily function. All this bill did was remove the vague indefinable exception of allowing it because of psychological harm to the mother and add to the 24-week standard a standard of that the doctor has to determine that the child would not be viable if taken from the womb intact.

Really, the only reason I can see to oppose the bill is not if you are pro-choice, but because you are pro-abortion.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2014, 08:48:37 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2014, 09:36:59 PM by Never »

Same, I oppose late term abortion except under very specific circumstances.

Perhaps when the life of the mother is at stake and the husband wants his wife to live? I've actually known a couple in which the pregnant woman was expected to have severe childbirth problems, and the father wanted the doctors to save the life of his wife if they had to choose between the woman and the baby, while the mother wanted the doctors to just try and save the baby (fortunately both survived).
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2014, 09:28:44 PM »

Except for in the case of life of the mother, I don't really see how anyone can support abortions after the child can survive outside of the womb. 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2014, 09:33:55 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2014, 09:35:35 PM by DEATH TO USA! »

Except for in the case of life of the mother, I don't really see how anyone can support abortions after the child can survive outside of the womb. 

Misogynist!

The fact that abortion is framed almost exclusively as a woman rights issue is one of the more remarkable political manipulations of our time. (Besides being a travesty, of course)
Meursault
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2014, 09:39:10 PM »

The pro-life position is the product of a false and lying sentimentality, encouraged by the false and lying desert religions. It is an abomination.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 09:41:03 PM »

The pro-life position is the product of a false and lying sentimentality, encouraged by the false and lying desert religions. It is an abomination.

Is this true for all normative statements?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2014, 09:43:08 PM »

oh meursault

plz stop
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 09:49:25 PM »

The only religious basis I have for being pro life is the sanctity of life in the eyes of God. I proceed from that. And I think any reasonable secular moral framework also considers life to be, if not "sacred" per se, then at least of paramount value. So I doubt the end result would be any different from a secular approach. The real issue is what construes life and what does not.

But by all means, do not let this get in the way of your profound diatribe against the "desert religions". By all means, keep on using that phrase. I can tell you're quite satisfied with having thought of it.
Meursault
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 09:53:26 PM »

The "sanctity of life" is an empty slogan. Is all life 'created' equally? No. Not even identical twins are equals.

I will categorically reject any 'secular framework' which embraces platitudinous bilge such as what that phrase implies.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 10:02:05 PM »

And are we to discern inequality in the womb? And if we were, would you suggest aborting the "weak", however we are to define the term?
Meursault
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 10:08:15 PM »

Certainly. You may and will posit that "you'd probably qualify yourself", and I'd be happy to grant that - and to continue insisting that it changes nothing. It would be a better line of attack for you than the inevitable Aktion T-4 comparison, at any rate: I propose no racial criteria.

When I grew up, I always got an earful about how liberals were effeminate bleeding-hearts and irrationalists. The opposite is true.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 10:08:25 PM »

There is enough scientific evidence to drive someone to being pro-life without being religious.
Meursault
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 10:10:48 PM »

There is no - and can be no - definition of 'life' from the vantage-point of life whatsoever: the twilit, purgatorial status of the virus demonstrates as much.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies