Am I a liberal Republican or a conservative Democrat?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:56:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Am I a liberal Republican or a conservative Democrat?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Am I a liberal Republican or a conservative Democrat?  (Read 2066 times)
JRP1994

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2014, 07:49:27 PM »

I can't decide, if I had to register with one party to run for office, which party I would align with more. A bit about my views:

• In favor of removing government entirely from marriage, but, barring that, in favor of legalizing gay marriage
• Opposed to abortion, but with exceptions
• In favor of middle-class tax cuts
• In favor of comprehensive immigration reform
• Opposed to an interventionist foreign policy
• In favor of moderate gun-control reforms
• Believe in man-caused global warming
• In favor of a strictly enforced work-requirement for able-bodied welfare recipients
• Opposed to increasing the minimum wage, but not rigidly so (could be persuaded with evidence, but haven't familiarized myself enough)
• In favor of a balanced-budget amendment

So, am I a republican or a democrat?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 07:50:30 PM »

That clearly puts you as a moderate Democrat. The GOP has been taken over by complete crazies so you'd be to the left of about 95% of Republicans.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 07:55:14 PM »

You sound like you could be a moderate libertarian. But I would say liberal republican, because the minimum wage and balanced budget amendment clearly put you as a fiscal/economic conservative.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 07:56:58 PM »

You're a 1960s Republican. But if you wanted to run for office, you'd be perfect as a Georgia Democrat.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 08:03:11 PM »

Yeah, if you are intending to run for office you'd probably be better of in the Democratic corner, simply because of electoral prospects. With those set of views you'd unfortunately not win a Republican primary. (Well maybe in Maine, but even there it'd be sort of hard)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 08:05:08 PM »

Nobody should be a Republican.  Even if you're a conservative, you should be a Democrat. 

• In favor of removing government entirely from marriage, but, barring that, in favor of legalizing gay marriage

This sounds like an interesting compromise, but if you think about it, it makes zero sense.  They government is not in the marriage business, they're not Yente the matchmaker.  The government is in the business of marriage law, as they provide law for every area of life.

• In favor of a balanced-budget amendment

Blatantly silly position.  Mandated spending limitations and set-asides always muck things up.  Plus, you create the problem of lacking the flexibility to recover from financial panics and recessions and crises.  Just imagine 2008 with no TARP.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 08:23:35 PM »

Well party ID is based 100% on your choice, regardless of your ideology. You appear to be an independent, so by definition you can be neither.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 08:26:24 PM »

Your views are somewhat similar to mine actually, with the exception of your position on the balanced budget amendment. On a side note, while I would have started to vote increasingly Democratic on the Presidential level in the 1930s, I probably would have supported mostly Republican candidates for Senate and House races until the late 1990s or early 2000s.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 08:40:49 PM »

You sound like a conservative Democrat to me.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 09:03:49 PM »

Nobody should be a Republican.  Even if you're a conservative, you should be a Democrat. 

• In favor of removing government entirely from marriage, but, barring that, in favor of legalizing gay marriage

This sounds like an interesting compromise, but if you think about it, it makes zero sense.  They government is not in the marriage business, they're not Yente the matchmaker.  The government is in the business of marriage law, as they provide law for every area of life.

Some of my libertarian and conservative friends support this, but it's really a cop-out rather than a compromise. Marriage impacts upon so many things, from inheritance to property rights to immigration, that it's really impossible for the government to not have laws relating to it.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 10:15:56 PM »

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 10:28:06 PM »

Definitely Democrat. I bolded the only ones that are more Republican than Democratic, although in your state all 3 could go either way.

• In favor of removing government entirely from marriage, but, barring that, in favor of legalizing gay marriage
• Opposed to abortion, but with exceptions
• In favor of middle-class tax cuts
• In favor of comprehensive immigration reform
• Opposed to an interventionist foreign policy
• In favor of moderate gun-control reforms
• Believe in man-caused global warming
• In favor of a strictly enforced work-requirement for able-bodied welfare recipients
• Opposed to increasing the minimum wage, but not rigidly so (could be persuaded with evidence, but haven't familiarized myself enough)
• In favor of a balanced-budget amendment
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 10:34:21 PM »

What about the minimum wage one Harry?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 12:45:59 AM »

Let's take a minute to remember that not even Thad Cochran and Eric Cantor are conservative enough for today's GOP.

I think that answers your question.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 01:02:00 AM »

Exactly this.

I think you'd be described as a John Barrow democrat, you'd do well in Griffinland (northwest Georgia).
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 01:02:26 AM »

Conservative Democrat, obviously. You could have fit into the GOP 15-20 years ago, but nowadays they shun people that are even to your right. Welcome to the tent.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 08:19:46 AM »

you're not a conservative (whatever that means) or a good fit for the republican base
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 08:35:32 AM »

Let's take a minute to remember that not even Thad Cochran and Eric Cantor are conservative enough for today's GOP.

That doesn't really explain the entire picture here; abortion supporter Gov. Brian Sandoval is accepted by the GOP...

Anyhow, I think that OP would do fine in either party. He could be a John Barrow Democrat, but it's worth noting that the Blue Dogs like him are becoming a smaller segment of the Democratic party. Down in Georgia, Nathan Deal was a founding member of the Blue Dog Coalition, and now he is the Republican governor.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 09:43:37 AM »

That doesn't really explain the entire picture here; abortion supporter Gov. Brian Sandoval is accepted by the GOP...
To be fair, Sandoval represents a state that went for Obama twice. Even the most extreme Tea party activists at are more likely to tolerate a republican moderating in a Democratic state than in a Republican state like Georgia.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 10:06:59 AM »

To be fair, Sandoval represents a state that went for Obama twice. Even the most extreme Tea party activists at are more likely to tolerate a republican moderating in a Democratic state than in a Republican state like Georgia.

Very true, but it is important to understand that neither Republicans nor Democrats are monolithic across the nation, as you pointed out.

Yes, Georgia is a conservative state with conservative senators, but some other Southern Republican states have relatively moderate senators (like Lamar Alexander in Tennessee and Lindsey Graham in South Carolina).

OP does have some fairly moderate views, like support of immigration reform and belief in global warming, but there are Republicans in the South who support both. Mike Huckabee believes in global warming and as recently as 2008 argued that we should do something about it, and Lindsey Graham believes that there should be immigration reform (so does Marco Rubio, though I don't consider Florida to be a culturally Southern state like Georgia, and of course, Florida is a swing state and Georgia is a Republican state).
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 10:09:12 AM »

Conservative Democrat
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 05:24:03 AM »

Conservative Democrat, obviously. You could have fit into the GOP 15-20 years ago, but nowadays they shun people that are even to your right. Welcome to the tent.

In IL his views would fit in fine with the GOP today, particularly in suburban Chicago. Tongue
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 11:41:27 AM »

In IL his views would fit in fine with the GOP today, particularly in suburban Chicago. Tongue
There are hardly any of those Republicans left in suburban Chicago.  They've been joining the Dems in droves since Clinton's election.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 10:48:22 PM »

Be whatever matters emotionally to you and VOTE however you want.  I'm an ancestral Republican, just as there are many ancestral Democrats still in Southern states.  You don't have to march lockstep with your party platform, and I'd argue that the more Democrats/Republicans who DON'T do so, the better.

But if you're dying for an answer, I'd say conservative Democrat.  Part of that might be biased thinking because you're from the South (where the Democrats are conservative on some things and Republicans seem to be conservative on all things).
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 08:03:26 AM »

There are hardly any of those Republicans left in suburban Chicago.  They've been joining the Dems in droves since Clinton's election.

I would strongly disagree overall, though I agree many of them voted for Clinton and Obama, they didn't like Kerry in 2004 and Bush got their vote. Even today there are still lots of those Pubs in my area. They are in local offices and they make up a lot of voters. Mark Kirk tapped into them in 2010 and so far it looks like Rauner intends to use them in this year's election for Gov.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies