The Ebola Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:57:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Ebola Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: The Ebola Thread  (Read 25831 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: October 08, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »

Fascinating difference between Figure 2 and Figure 3

There appears to be some sort of serious degradation of reporting capabilities in Liberia; WHO has said case numbers will likely be revised up.

In comparison, reporting capabilities in Sierra Leone are stellar. Unfortunately, they show the situation is starting to really take off there.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2014, 11:01:14 AM »
« Edited: October 10, 2014, 11:05:31 AM by Velasco »

A Spanish nurse has been confirmed to have contracted ebola, after treating a Spanish priest at the end of September. She was working in a facility especially designed by Spain to handle ebola patients and (the facility) had treated another Spanish priest back in August. They are not sure how the nurse contracted ebola. She had entered the patient's room twice: once while he was still alive, and once after his death. After his death, the nurse went on vacation. She had a fever for several days while on vacation before being isolated. She is 44 years old and married with no children. There is no confirmation of how many people she had contact with.

The nurse told that she would have made a mistake when taking off the protective suit.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/10/08/inenglish/1412773314_084887.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

According to news here, medical staff received little training on the protocol of protection. When doctors and nurses are taking off their suits, the protocol says that someone has to be monitoring they are following the process correctly.

Sadly, Teresa Romero's condition worsened after a slight improvement.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/10/09/inenglish/1412862488_584997.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Teresa Romero was being administered hyperimmune serum from a noon called Paciencia Melgar, who survived the virus in Liberia while working with the Spanish missionary Miguel Pajares died on August 12. The noon wasn't evacuated to Spain, despite her religious order asked the government to do so, because she isn't a Spanish citizen. Symptomatic, even though our government isn't worse than other western world administrations in that regard.

The Spanish government has established a crisis cabinet presided by Deputy PM Soraya Sáez de Santamaría, after the minister of Healthcare Ana Mato was bashed by media and opposition because of her disastrous communication policy (and negligence, according to some)

http://elpais.com/elpais/2014/10/10/inenglish/1412949468_311967.html
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2014, 07:23:37 PM »

A vaccine, effective in animals, is about to commence human trials. You'd have to be brave and selfless to participate.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #153 on: October 14, 2014, 10:58:45 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2014, 11:11:17 AM by MalaspinaGold »

We passed 4000 dead a few days ago.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/10/14/wonkbook-lessons-from-the-second-u-s-ebola-case/
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #154 on: October 15, 2014, 12:45:52 AM »

This is just awful. As far as America is concerned, like I said over a month ago, all flights to and from any African nation should cease immediately.

We already had an infection in the U.S. from a person who came over from an infected nation. It must end now. No more risks.

Remember, we're the same country that locked up Japanese-Americans "just to make sure". If that was thin, I'm pretty sure stopping flights to a from nations with a deadly disease is a pretty reasonable idea.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #155 on: October 15, 2014, 12:59:54 AM »

This is just awful. As far as America is concerned, like I said over a month ago, all flights to and from any African nation should cease immediately.

We already had an infection in the U.S. from a person who came over from an infected nation. It must end now. No more risks.

Remember, we're the same country that locked up Japanese-Americans "just to make sure". If that was thin, I'm pretty sure stopping flights to a from nations with a deadly disease is a pretty reasonable idea.

There's Ebola in the US now, so all other nations should stop accepting any flights or ships from the US as well, even if it's transporting goods and not a passenger plane (the pilot could always be infected).  Let's crash the global economy, to stop the spread of Ebola.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2014, 05:16:10 AM »

Thus far a single person has died from Ebola in the US. Every single day, close to a 100 people die in traffic related accidents in the US. This isn't going to be a huge pandemic.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2014, 07:01:15 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2014, 07:06:12 AM by Markus Brandenburg »

Maybe the U.S. government should place the state of Texas under quarantine then and cordon off the Texan border with troops. Sometimes it becomes necessary to sever a limb in order to save the rest of the body.

It must end now. No more risks.

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #158 on: October 15, 2014, 12:40:21 PM »

Words cannot express the stupidity of this idea.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #159 on: October 15, 2014, 12:43:03 PM »

Oh Naso, you such a racist.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #160 on: October 15, 2014, 01:31:56 PM »

Strictly speaking, banning all transport from town to village in the affected areas is the most effective way in which to halt the spread of Ebola in affected areas and banning transport from infected areas to non infected areas internationally would prevent it from travelling there. It's not that mind blowing a concept. Whether it's a 'very nice thing to do' is a separate issue.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #161 on: October 15, 2014, 01:43:18 PM »

Looks like Ebola could already be in Naso's neighbourhood, as the nurse who now has it as well went to Cleveland and then took a flight back. The day before she was tested positive for it.

Watch out Naso !
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #162 on: October 15, 2014, 01:58:41 PM »

Make jokes. I care more about the well being of my fellow Americans than the travel of foreigners.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #163 on: October 15, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »

At your expense? Nothing's easier.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #164 on: October 15, 2014, 02:12:16 PM »

How can you not take this seriously?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2014, 02:36:01 PM »

Make jokes. I care more about the well being of my fellow Americans than the travel of foreigners.

Americans never travel internationally?  Then how did I get here in Oz?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2014, 02:48:00 PM »

You're missing my point. No more travel incoming from any affected nations. No more trips, no more missions no more visas no more "students just wanting to come to learn". Our own security trumps that.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2014, 02:59:24 PM »

You're missing my point. No more travel incoming from any affected nations. No more trips, no more missions no more visas no more "students just wanting to come to learn". Our own security trumps that.

Did you honestly care one bit that thousands were dying until there was a confirmed case in the United States?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2014, 03:04:26 PM »

Did you honestly care one bit that thousands were dying until there was a confirmed case in the United States?

Yes I did, but as far as U.S. security goes, we have to assure we're safe before the others. We're the policeman of the world and have been since 1945. If the policemen are vulnerable, everyone is even moreso.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #169 on: October 15, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »

♪♪♪ Seems rike no one takes this seriousry... ♪♪♪
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2014, 03:27:19 PM »

I understand your lack of intelligence especially being from a region of the world whose borders have been spliced and diced more in the last 100 years than a pizza at an Italian pizzeria, but I think we should all agree that something as serious as ebola shouldn't be handled with a soft soap.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #171 on: October 15, 2014, 08:27:32 PM »

Yeah, it's not like them foreigners are real people, just statistics waiting to happen.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2014, 09:10:07 PM »

There's Ebola in the US now, so all other nations should stop accepting any flights or ships from the US as well, even if it's transporting goods and not a passenger plane (the pilot could always be infected).  Let's crash the global economy, to stop the spread of Ebola.

That doesn't compare at all and you know it. Don't be dishonest.

So does anyone have any actual reasons why we shouldn't have a travel ban on majorly affected nations? Or just more ad hominem and deflection?

I hate to sound like this but the majorly affected nations are also kind of economically easier to have this kind of policy with. It's not like we're restricting travel with China or India or anything.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #173 on: October 15, 2014, 09:30:24 PM »

Unfortunately, this will do pretty much nothing useful. At this point, if I understand it right, flights between affected countries and their neighbors have already been stopped. Nor are there any non-stops from those three countries and the US. So, the people from the epidemic zone will be flying in from Europe, not from Africa.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2014, 10:46:23 PM »

Looks like Ebola could already be in Naso's neighbourhood, as the nurse who now has it as well went to Cleveland and then took a flight back. The day before she was tested positive for it.

Watch out Naso !

Yup, indeed there is widespread concern here that someone may have been infected by the nurse and is not currently showing symptoms (a friend of mine was very concerned upon discovering that her mother was at the airport at the same time as the person with ebola). I also spoke to an acquaintance who attends Kent State University, which the ebola patient briefly visited, and he told me that there was a great deal of panic on campus.

The amount of unnecessary panic in Dallas right now must be reaching remarkable proportions if it's this bad here.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies