The Absolutist (New Yorker)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:39:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The Absolutist (New Yorker)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Absolutist (New Yorker)  (Read 958 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2014, 09:41:48 AM »

Very long Cruz profile from Toobin.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 07:26:55 PM »

That was interesting.

I was hoping that he was shamelessly pandering to the far right, but this seems to confirm that he's a true believer.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 04:38:04 PM »

I'm baffled by everyone around these parts underestimating Cruz in the primary. He's got an immaculate conservative record and Palin's flair, but unlike her, he's extremely intelligent and apparently a monster debater. I don't know that he'd get past the last establishment-approved choice standing but it's not that unlikely; he seems a much stronger candidate than any conservative McCain or Romney had to contend with. I'd call him the single likeliest Republican to be one of the last 2 standing in the primaries.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 05:13:04 PM »

I'm baffled by everyone around these parts underestimating Cruz in the primary. He's got an immaculate conservative record and Palin's flair, but unlike her, he's extremely intelligent and apparently a monster debater. I don't know that he'd get past the last establishment-approved choice standing but it's not that unlikely; he seems a much stronger candidate than any conservative McCain or Romney had to contend with. I'd call him the single likeliest Republican to be one of the last 2 standing in the primaries.

I totally agree.  Ted Cruz is one of those politicians who has a real dynamism and talent.  I can't think of a conservative Presidential candidate who could have said that about in the past.  He may have problems in New Hampshire because he's too conservative, but he ought to win Iowa and South Carolina. 

Some people are put off by him because he's obnoxious, sure.  But, being obnoxious is a huge plus in terms of a Republican primary.  Think about 2012, what separated Gingrich and Santorum from Pawlenty?  Santorum and Gingrich were obnoxious.  Ted Cruz has that edge where he's mean and obnoxious, and he has a sales pitch that could work in 2016. 

Looking at 2016, only Rand Paul and Ted Cruz have a sales pitch.  They can give you a good explanation for why they are the unique, right candidate in one sentence.  The candidate who can do that usually wins.  Just look at 2008, Obama was the change candidate, Clinton was the vote for me candidate.  Looking ahead to 2016, only Cruz and Paul have demonstrated that they have that potential message and style that will actually connect.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 05:44:55 PM »

I totally agree.  Ted Cruz is one of those politicians who has a real dynamism and talent.  I can't think of a conservative Presidential candidate who could have said that about in the past.  He may have problems in New Hampshire because he's too conservative, but he ought to win Iowa and South Carolina.  

Some people are put off by him because he's obnoxious, sure.  But, being obnoxious is a huge plus in terms of a Republican primary.  Think about 2012, what separated Gingrich and Santorum from Pawlenty?  Santorum and Gingrich were obnoxious.  Ted Cruz has that edge where he's mean and obnoxious, and he has a sales pitch that could work in 2016.  

Looking at 2016, only Rand Paul and Ted Cruz have a sales pitch.  They can give you a good explanation for why they are the unique, right candidate in one sentence.  The candidate who can do that usually wins.  Just look at 2008, Obama was the change candidate, Clinton was the vote for me candidate.  Looking ahead to 2016, only Cruz and Paul have demonstrated that they have that potential message and style that will actually connect.

Yeah, there is a similarity between Cruz and Gingrich in the flavor of their appeal to the GOP, and I would include Christie as having it too. The key difference is Cruz isn't corrupt like Gingrich and corrupt and too liberal for many GOPers like Christie.

I don't know that I agree Santorum was abrasive in the same way. But he also didn't have anything close to Cruz's political talent or ability to raise money.

As far as Cruz and Paul, they'll probably go after each other pretty hard as they're fighting for the same turf. Paul has one big advantage you point out that he'll play better in New Hampshire. But because of his heresies he'll have many more openings to attack than Cruz will. And he also seems like a much less disciplined candidate than Cruz is.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 05:58:21 PM »

I totally agree.  Ted Cruz is one of those politicians who has a real dynamism and talent.  I can't think of a conservative Presidential candidate who could have said that about in the past.  He may have problems in New Hampshire because he's too conservative, but he ought to win Iowa and South Carolina. 

Some people are put off by him because he's obnoxious, sure.  But, being obnoxious is a huge plus in terms of a Republican primary.  Think about 2012, what separated Gingrich and Santorum from Pawlenty?  Santorum and Gingrich were obnoxious.  Ted Cruz has that edge where he's mean and obnoxious, and he has a sales pitch that could work in 2016. 

Looking at 2016, only Rand Paul and Ted Cruz have a sales pitch.  They can give you a good explanation for why they are the unique, right candidate in one sentence.  The candidate who can do that usually wins.  Just look at 2008, Obama was the change candidate, Clinton was the vote for me candidate.  Looking ahead to 2016, only Cruz and Paul have demonstrated that they have that potential message and style that will actually connect.

Yeah, there is a similarity between Cruz and Gingrich in the flavor of their appeal to the GOP, and I would include Christie as having it too. The key difference is Cruz isn't corrupt like Gingrich and corrupt and too liberal for many GOPers like Christie.

I don't know that I agree Santorum was abrasive in the same way. But he also didn't have anything close to Cruz's political talent or ability to raise money.

As far as Cruz and Paul, they'll probably go after each other pretty hard as they're fighting for the same turf. Paul has one big advantage you point out that he'll play better in New Hampshire. But because of his heresies he'll have many more openings to attack than Cruz will. And he also seems like a much less disciplined candidate than Cruz is.

Rand's biggest problem is that he's a goofball.  You have to think that Ted Cruz will outwork Rand Paul and stay on message.  I also think Paul's foreign policy will stick out more when there's no angle of being against the NSA or drones because Obama is in favor of them.  You also have to worry about how Rand's base of support is younger voters who are unlikely to show up in a Republican primary.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies