Who is the strongest Democrat if Hillary doesn't run?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:05:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who is the strongest Democrat if Hillary doesn't run?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Huh
Kirsten Gillibrand

Amy Klobuchar

Andrew Cuomo

Deval Patrick

Mark Warner

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Who is the strongest Democrat if Hillary doesn't run?  (Read 2300 times)
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 09:49:31 AM »

Warner
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 09:53:17 AM »

Hard to say.

Mark Warner could appeal to conservative Democrats, which would help win VA & OH for example and therefore the presidency.

Kirsten Gillibrand would - assuming the Republicans don't nominate one - be the first woman as a major party nominee, which would fire up many liberal Dems and also Indies.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 10:00:31 AM »

None of those listed will be the nominee no matter what Hillary does.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »

Because charisma tends to be more important than policy positions--either Cuomo or Gillibrand.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2014, 01:18:38 PM »

In my opinion, Mark Warner is the strongest. He can position himself as a moderate without alienating the base, similar to Hillary Clinton. Gillbrand is probably the next best option, but she has to do more than be a woman to make me consider her the strongest non-Hillary Clinton candidate. It is difficult for me to say that Gillibrand would be strongest when she hasn't been forced to seriously compete for her Senate seat, since it is in New York. Warner might have coasted to the Senate, but he had to prove himself beforehand by being elected to the Governor's Mansion in swing state Virginia.
What about her House seat?
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2014, 03:50:56 PM »

In my opinion, Mark Warner is the strongest. He can position himself as a moderate without alienating the base, similar to Hillary Clinton. Gillbrand is probably the next best option, but she has to do more than be a woman to make me consider her the strongest non-Hillary Clinton candidate. It is difficult for me to say that Gillibrand would be strongest when she hasn't been forced to seriously compete for her Senate seat, since it is in New York. Warner might have coasted to the Senate, but he had to prove himself beforehand by being elected to the Governor's Mansion in swing state Virginia.

Many House seats aren't that competitive; of course, Gillibrand's was an exception, but I don't know how much we should read into her victories at that level.

Overall, Gillibrand seems like a strong candidate, but I do not believe that she would be the strongest nominee that the Democrats could pick. I stand by my claim that Warner is the strongest, but if he were not an option, I would say Gillibrand.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2014, 03:52:55 PM »

Many House seats aren't that competitive; of course, Gillibrand's was an exception, but I don't know how much we should read into her victories at that level.

Overall, Gillibrand seems like a strong candidate, but I do not believe that she would be the strongest nominee that the Democrats could pick. I stand by my claim that Warner is the strongest, but if he were not an option, I would say Gillibrand.

Warner has next to no charisma he doesn't excite anyone among Democrat circles but technocrats. He may be great fit for Virginia but he's not the type of candidate that Dems will turn out for he'd make a fine VP though.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2014, 03:54:22 PM »

Warner; he's moderate and comes from a swing state.  Plus, he's independently wealthy, so he won't need to do as much fundraising.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2014, 06:59:55 PM »

Isn't Schweitzer bigoted against Mormons?
I haven't heard that one...
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2014, 07:25:53 PM »

Me neither, but Dick Harpootlian is bigoted against Mormons.  I remember seeing him on Fox News when he accused them of polytheism.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2014, 10:55:24 PM »

None of those listed will be the nominee no matter what Hillary does.

Why do you think this? And who do you think would be the nominee if Hillary sat out?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2014, 01:22:21 AM »

Warner and then Gillibrand.

Two of my favorite Dems. Smiley
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2014, 12:07:55 PM »

Schweitzer.
Among the options above, Hillary's successor.
I have to agree with this. Schweitzer can not only energize the liberals but he can also appeal to the West and the Plains states.

yep, Schweitzer, he can win red states and white voters, he's the strongest candidate even with Hillary running
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2014, 12:58:16 PM »

These options are all terrible, but for the sake of the poll, Warner is the only one who had any real strengths at all.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies