opinion of mother teresa
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:39:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  opinion of mother teresa
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
ff

hp

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: opinion of mother teresa  (Read 3457 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2014, 01:33:43 PM »

because apparently snowstalker thinks she's a massive hp:
Everyone on that list is a massive HP.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 02:07:54 PM »

Didn't it turn out that she deliberately denied kids anesthesia so that they could feel "closer to Christ?" I don't really care to bash Mother Teresa but I've encountered many people on the internet who dislike her.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 04:02:42 PM »

http://www.challies.com/articles/the-myth-of-mother-teresa
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 04:47:19 PM »

because apparently snowstalker thinks she's a massive hp:
Everyone on that list is a massive HP.
It's probably because she is
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 04:48:28 PM »

Snowstalker is right on this one.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 05:48:44 PM »

What the hell? Nothing written in there made Mother Teresa look bad. She believed all religions could lead to salvation...OMG what an evil woman!

Joke article.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 05:50:55 PM »

What the hell? Nothing written in there made Mother Teresa look bad. She believed all religions could lead to salvation...OMG what an evil woman!

Joke article.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 05:56:49 PM »

Pretty awful.
Small L
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 06:38:53 PM »

Easy FF.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 06:41:57 PM »

Joke article.

Mother Teresa wasn't in charge of India's health system. She chose to help the poor and dying the way she chose to help them. Not my cup of tea, but there isn’t anything horrible about this. She ran a religious society based on her religious views, and that’s that. If you didn't want to die that way, there were plenty of other aid agencies active at the time.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 06:42:30 PM »

Joke article.

This. For the matter of record I consider genuine humanitarians such as Albert Schweitzer FFs even if they were theological liberals.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 07:16:12 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2014, 07:21:44 PM by Sbane »

Joke article.

This. For the matter of record I consider genuine humanitarians such as Albert Schweitzer FFs even if they were theological liberals.

That's her religious beliefs though. She did help a lot of people, and not only those who were sick but also a lot of kids who had nowhere else to go. I have actually been to her mission in Kolkata and I can assure you they are doing good work. I don't like the fact that the Communist party headquarters of West Bengal are located right next to the mission, but other than that they are a freedom organization. They should be the model for missionaries who help the poor in India, not zealous baptists and others who care more about converting people than helping them.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 07:56:44 PM »

Awful.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 08:25:28 PM »

massive HP, fraud, anti-choice scum, anti-feminist, repulsive
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 09:12:50 PM »

She did a lot of good work but it wasn't by any means unsullied and the idea that there was anything particularly special about it or her is dubious and overinflated in the popular imagination. She almost certainly did not deserve a Nobel Peace Prize.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2014, 09:18:22 PM »

I can see where some people would consider an HP, but I fail to see how she rises to "massive HP" status.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2014, 10:14:05 PM »

She almost certainly did not deserve a Nobel Peace Prize.
That is true of most Nobel Prize winners, of course. The fact that Bob Dylan has not gotten a Nobel Prize yet is infuriating to me, since we are on the subject Tongue.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2014, 11:11:47 PM »

She almost certainly did not deserve a Nobel Peace Prize.
That is true of most Nobel Prize winners, of course. The fact that Bob Dylan has not gotten a Nobel Prize yet is infuriating to me, since we are on the subject Tongue.

Literature, I'm assuming? Personally Leonard Cohen is my songwriter of choice to have that particular outrage over, but I know exactly how it feels.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 11:57:58 PM »

[Insert comment about Tafari Sharew's bitter and cynical maneuvering to deny Haile Selassie the Nobel Peace Prize here]
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 12:07:51 AM »

She did a lot of good work but it wasn't by any means unsullied and the idea that there was anything particularly special about it or her is dubious and overinflated in the popular imagination. She almost certainly did not deserve a Nobel Peace Prize.

I have to say, I'm kind of surprised that's the attitude you'd have toward her.  That's not to say I think she was flawless, but Mother Teresa always seemed, to me, like one of those figures that most people - Christians, certainly - would admire in spite of her faults, and yes, there were some big ones.

That being said, I voted FF on balance.  I obviously don't agree at all with her "methods," but, as has been stated, she operated according to her religious beliefs and offered her help to anyone who wanted it.  She never insisted that her way was "the only way."
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 02:16:51 AM »

If there is a Hell, I am fully confident she is rotting in it for her beliefs on pain.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 06:09:46 AM »

I have to say, I'm kind of surprised that's the attitude you'd have toward her.  That's not to say I think she was flawless, but Mother Teresa always seemed, to me, like one of those figures that most people - Christians, certainly - would admire in spite of her faults, and yes, there were some big ones.

That being said, I voted FF on balance.  I obviously don't agree at all with her "methods," but, as has been stated, she operated according to her religious beliefs and offered her help to anyone who wanted it.  She never insisted that her way was "the only way."

That, more or less.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2014, 06:26:15 AM »

That, more or less.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2014, 06:34:48 AM »

Definite FF.

Regardless of whether you buy into the idea that she was corrupt, she opened her doors to everyone and treated everyone the same.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2014, 06:38:48 AM »

I do admire her, it's just that I equally admire many, many other aid workers and medical care providers in India and throughout the poorer parts of the world.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies