Clash of Kings, an ASOIAF Game (The End)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:56:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Clash of Kings, an ASOIAF Game (The End)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 25
Author Topic: Clash of Kings, an ASOIAF Game (The End)  (Read 85772 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: July 04, 2014, 01:49:25 PM »

I've appointed Lord Axell Florent, I assume he broke the the Tyrells much as he did in the books (or his analogue).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #276 on: July 04, 2014, 03:55:54 PM »

Seriously, what's wrong with my strategy? So far I've managed to watch my enemies kill each others while my military position improved or remained intact. What do you want, folks? Sacking the Westerlands and killing everyone who once opposed us? Or do you want Northern independence? Because if you want the latter, you'd damn better follow my instructions.

That's exactly what they want, Antonio, xD The Northern Lords and most of the Riverlords hated Joffrey and Tywin in a vicious way for killing Ned, taking several Lords hostage and sacking the Riverlands, and in ASOIAF most characters do not react in a rational way even if the strategy is sound. Otherwise a Renly+Stannis alliance at the beginning of the book Clash of Kings would have ended things right there.

Yeah, but Joffrey is dead, and so are Cersei, Jaime and countless other Lannisters. Shouldn't that be enough to appease their blood thirst? Tongue
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #277 on: July 04, 2014, 04:59:23 PM »

Seriously, what's wrong with my strategy? So far I've managed to watch my enemies kill each others while my military position improved or remained intact. What do you want, folks? Sacking the Westerlands and killing everyone who once opposed us? Or do you want Northern independence? Because if you want the latter, you'd damn better follow my instructions.

That's exactly what they want, Antonio, xD The Northern Lords and most of the Riverlords hated Joffrey and Tywin in a vicious way for killing Ned, taking several Lords hostage and sacking the Riverlands, and in ASOIAF most characters do not react in a rational way even if the strategy is sound. Otherwise a Renly+Stannis alliance at the beginning of the book Clash of Kings would have ended things right there.

Yeah, but Joffrey is dead, and so are Cersei, Jaime and countless other Lannisters. Shouldn't that be enough to appease their blood thirst? Tongue

Tywin, Tyrion, Kevan and his sons (not sure how many of them are still around), and I have no idea if Tyrek is still alive.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #278 on: July 04, 2014, 05:04:33 PM »

Tywin, Tyrion, Kevan and his sons (not sure how many of them are still around), and I have no idea if Tyrek is still alive.

Do we really have to kill every single one of them? That sounds like something the Lannisters would do.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #279 on: July 04, 2014, 05:17:08 PM »

Do we really have to kill every single one of them? That sounds like something the Lannisters would do.

Ask the Riverlords Tongue
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #280 on: July 04, 2014, 05:31:34 PM »

It's kind of our thing Tongue
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #281 on: July 04, 2014, 09:36:04 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2014, 10:38:38 PM by Senator Lumine »

Military Update:

The Disaster of Tumbleton:

With both Robb Stark and Lysa Arryn having problems with their vassals thanks to their actions, it seemed both had finally decided to strike. King Robb reorganized his forces and marched with 25,000 Northerners down South while Lysa commanded Yohn Royce to remain in Darry with 2,000 men and sent Lyn Corbray with 18,000 of the Vale troops. Both armies never shared the camps, but it was clear there were not poised to attack each other. After taking a lengthy detour to avoid Tywin Lannister in King's Landing (a move that puzzled many and infuriated Lord Karstark) both armies converged on Tumbleton from different sides. Willas Tyrell and Lord Hightower were there, trying to regroup after the gruesome death of Randyll Tarly. The battle started shortly before dawn with Grey Wind and the Northern vanguard trying to smash the Army of the Reach, a failed attempt that ended with a bloody stalemate that lasted several hours. Both armies (25,000 v. 26,200 were not strong enough to destroy the other army right away, and the Vale Army of Corbray appeared on the vicinity without joining the fray despite Robb's insistent calls for help. Corbray finally prepared his forces in the afternoon and ordered the army to deploy. Right before launching the assault, he read a message in which Lady Lysa ordered the Vale to join the Targaryens and destroy the Stark-Tully Army, a message that Corbray (former Targaryen loyalist) was happy to comply to, thus ordering a massive cavalry charge on the rear of the Stark Army. Then chaos started. Many Arryn Lords and their troops rose against the order, engaging Corbray and the Lords loyal to Lysa and disintegrating the Vale Army into chaos while the Tarly men betrayed Willas and went over to Robb. The fight lasted for hours between the three armies in one of the most disjointed disasters of warfare in Westeros until Corbray managed to disengage from the rebel Valelords and launched a cavalry charge on the rearguard of Robb Stark, smashing the Northern Army and technically winning the day for the Targaryen loyalists. That said, the carnage was so big and the armies so weakened that Corbray and Willas could not push the offensive and were forced to let the remnants of the North slip away. Several Valelords died, Maege Mormont, Edmure Tully and thousands of Stark-Tully-Arryn troops were captured by Lord Hightower and Robb and the Valelords who sided with him were now trapped between the Lannister Army and the Targaryen loyalists

King's Landing Campaign:

With Storms's End too big a fortress to assault, the Targaryen loyalists were forced to camp outside and try to starve Courtnay Penrose, one of the few men in Westeros with the iron will to held the fortress and remain firm in his loyalty. While under Stannis many of the Stormlords could have deserted, Renly's crowning brought them back into the fold and they refused to back Daenerys, taking advantage of the light control of the Dornish supply lines to raid them and prevent the fall of further castles to the enemy. Even worse, a successful plot was enacted from King's Landing and Mya and Edric Baratheon were rescued from Storm's End and sent to Renly in King's Landing. Perhaps bored with the strategic stalemate, Daenerys left Prince Oberyn and 15,000 Dornishmen to continue the siege and she marched with Barristan Selmy and 19,000 men all the way to the King's Wood while avoiding battle with Lord Tywin. While both armies failed to engage each other, there was a massive naval campaign in the Narrow Sea led by the Targaryens, with Admiral Groleo intercepting the Lannister sellsword fleet and sending back to Myr and the sailing all the way to Blackwater Bay to find the Stark and Tully fleet there, which led to a massive battle between both fleets. Taking advantage of the situation Renly's naval commanders sailed with the fleet and sunk the remnants of both fleets, thus securing control over the Narrow Sea and killing Lord Sunglass. Lord Velaryon and the survivors managed to get to Queen Daenerys shortly after that. The news were celebrated across King's Landing, with King Renly winning popularity with his reforms and government and narrowly avoiding two assassination attempts thanks to Brienne of Tarth.

The Second Battle of Crakehall:

With the Westerlands spared from attacks from the Greyjoys and the Starks, the Lannister and the few surviving Westerlords took the initiative, leaving a skeleton garrison in Casterly Rock under Ser Damion while Ser Daven led the 14,800 strong Lannister Army against Crakehall to defeat Garlan Tyrell once again. Learning from his past mistakes, Ser Daven sent scouts and discovered that Garlan had received reinforcements, but sensing that they were inexperienced in comparison to his men he chose to strike. Despite some concerns over the bold attack, Daven was right in judging the Tyrell men and his troops quickly pushed them back. The battle lasted a few short hours until Garlan realized he couldn't win, and he retreated slowly and in good order to deny Ser Daven the chance of a rout. In the end, the Reach Army was forced to leave the Westerlands and fall back to the Oakheart lands to regroup while Daven returned to Casterly Rock with a moral victory for House Lannister.

The Battle of the Mander:

With Balon Greyjoy victorious in the Westerlands many expected a raid against the wealth of Casterly Rock and Lannisport, but the Iron King had other plans. Calling his last remaining banners he gave Victarion the command of a massive Ironborn Army (with the entire Iron Fleet included) of 24,000 men to said all the way to the Shield Islands and the Mander and sack Highgarden to teach the Rose a lesson. And Victarion, dutiful as even, sailed his fleet and bypassed the Shield Islands to win as much as a surprise element as he could. It was then when he approach the mouth of the Mander, and he realized they were waiting for him. The Tyrells had redeployed most of their naval assets under the command of the Redwynes, and they struck with their 235 ships at Victarion's 400 ships. While the difference in numbers was big, the Ironborn ships were smaller and weaker in comparison, and both sides fought bravely in the biggest naval battle in Westeros since the Greyjoy Rebelion more than ten years ago. Alas, Victarion was too much for the Redwynes to handle, and he crushed the enemy fleet and forced it to withdraw. Leaving some of his ships to defend the rearguard, he sailed with most of his fleet all the way to Highgarden to strike at the heart of the enemy. While outnumbered, the Reachmen called every man they could get and used every tactic available, evacuating Lady Olenna, Lady Margaery and the most important nobles from the Castle. After hours of constant battle Victarion succeeded in destroying most the garrison and sacking most of the city, but he couldn't torch it to the ground since he had to withdraw, sparing Highgarden from complete destruction. Victarion gathered his fleet and started to sail back to the Iron Islands, having sustained such heavy losses that such an operation would be very hard to repeat. Thousands of Ironborn were dead and the Tyrells had lost most of their wealth.

Targaryen Northern Campaign:

Deciding that Daenerys Targaryen was the biggest threat to Northern independence, King Robb wasted no time in sending an army to stop Jorah Mormont, and he chose Roose Bolton for that effect, sending him with an army to join Glover and form a massive army of 10,000 men (not counting the garrison of Winterfell) to march on White Harbor. Ravens declared that Ser Jorah had taken the Dreadfort and killed Ramsay Snow, and Lord Bolton demanded Glover to attack so he could avenge his bastard. Glover did, and the Starks intercepted Ser Jorah as he was moving South near the split in the White Knife. While the battle started out well even as they were forced to fight the battlehardened veterans of Tristan Rivers and the Golden Company, Galbert Glover was notified that Ramsay Snow was actually besieging Winterfell and the Bolton bannerman Locke and his men took him prisoner while Lord Bolton used his forces at the rear to encircle the Stark army and smash it into submission (and thus capturing thousands of Northern soldiers). After the battle, Lord Bolton was notified that his bastard's ruse had succeeded and he was now besieging Winterfell while blocking any potential reinforcements and destroying parts of the garrison. Sadly, he didn't knew the layout of the castle, so it could only be taken by assault. Locke captured Moat Cailin with his riders and blocked the North from the Riverlands, and Lord Bolton notified the holdfasts of the North that Robb was dead and the army lost, and that the only chance for the North to survive was to do what Torrhen Stark had done by bending the knee to Aegon Targaryen. Houses Ryswell and Dustin answered favorably, but the other houses remain silent, Winterfell is blocked from communication and the North is in chaos.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #282 on: July 04, 2014, 09:36:55 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2014, 03:12:29 PM by Senator Lumine »

Army Update:

Tywin:
Army of Ser Daven Lannister – 12,900 – Crakehall
Army of Lord Tywin - 23,600 - Near King's Landing
(cannot call more men)

Willas Tyrell:
Army of Willas Tyrell - 21,100 – Tumbleton
Army of Garlan Tyrell - 11,800 - Old Oak
Army of Jon Fossoway – 5,000 – Horn Hill
Fleet of the Reach - 143 – The Arbor
Fleet of the Reach – 40 – Sailing back to the Reach
(can call a max. of 10.000 more men)

Renly:
Army of King Renly – 12,100 – King’s Landing
Army of Courtnay Penrose – 5,000 - Storm's End
The Royal Fleet - 165 - Blackwater Bay
(cannot call more men, only sellswords)

Robb:
Army of King Robb Stark – 16,400 – Near King’s Landing
Garrison of Winterfell – 1,500 – Winterfell
Garrison of Riverrun – 2,400 – Riverrun
At the Wall – 2,000 – Castle Black
(can call a max. of 13.000 more men)

Daenerys Targaryen:
Dragons - 3 – King’s Wood
Daenerys Khalasar – 200 - King’s Wood
Army of Jorah Mormont – 4,200 – Marching to Winterfell
Army of Barristan Selmy – 22,200 – King’s Wood
Army of Oberyn Martell - 15,000 – Storm’s End
Army of Roose Bolton - 2,000 – White Knife
Army of Ramsay Snow – 1,000 - Winterfell
Army of Locke - 500 - Moat Cailin
Navy of Sunspear - 40 – Sunspear

Balon:
Army of Victarion Greyjoy – 14,700 – Sailing back to Pyke
Army of King Balon – 6,500 – Pyke
Army of Baelor Blacktyde - 200 – Braavos
Garrison of Faircastle – 1,000 (+ 10 ships)
Reaving Fleet - 90 - Pyke
The Iron Fleet - 417 – Sailing back to Pyke
The Iron Fleet (2) - 10 – Braavos

Lysa Arryn:
Army of Lyn Corbray – 11,100 - Tumbleton
Army of Yohn Royce - 2,000 – Darry
Army of Symond Templeton – 2,000 – Near White Harbor
Fleet of Gulltown - 45 – Near White Harbor
(can call a max. 13.000 more men)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #283 on: July 04, 2014, 09:37:55 PM »

Sad to see the Starks going down so bad, but some plots suceeded and their enemies used their assets to win an edge on the dice, thus forcing them into this mess. Next turn beings tomorrow!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #284 on: July 04, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »

What about my attack on Kings Landing???
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #285 on: July 04, 2014, 10:14:06 PM »

What attack on King's Landing? After the changes to your orders, I was only left with the Crakehall attack and some other things, so I may have lost that command between the messages. Shall I enact the attack nonetheless and add it to the results?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #286 on: July 04, 2014, 10:15:52 PM »

OOC: I swear I sent 25,000 against Highgarden (since last round I had 21500 on Pyke and called 10,000 more - leaving 6500 on Pyke would mean 25000 sailing).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #287 on: July 04, 2014, 10:16:13 PM »

OOC: Also the Roose is loose Cheesy
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #288 on: July 04, 2014, 10:17:24 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2014, 10:19:56 PM by X is Tywinning »

What attack on King's Landing? After the changes to your orders, I was only left with the Crakehall attack and some other things, so I may have lost that command between the messages. Shall I enact the attack nonetheless and add it to the results?

Yes please, I meant the Crakehall thing in addition to the KL attack.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #289 on: July 04, 2014, 10:23:05 PM »

Yes please, I meant the Crakehall thing in addition.

Right, give me some minutes.

OOC: I swear I sent 25,000 against Highgarden (since last round I had 21500 on Pyke and called 10,000 more - leaving 6500 on Pyke would mean 25000 sailing).

I had a problem calculating this, since you had called at least 5,000 men before and since I have about 600 messages stored between that turn and now I was rather confused. As I add the King's Landing assault I could add the 5,000 extra Ironborn, but the results wouldn't really change, as Highgarden would still be sacked.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #290 on: July 04, 2014, 10:28:06 PM »

I had a problem calculating this, since you had called at least 5,000 men before and since I have about 600 messages stored between that turn and now I was rather confused. As I add the King's Landing assault I could add the 5,000 extra Ironborn, but the results wouldn't really change, as Highgarden would still be sacked.

That'd be fine - I was just wondering where all the men I had called went.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #291 on: July 04, 2014, 10:38:06 PM »

The Battle of King's Landing:

As King Renly's naval forces won a resounding victory in the Blackwater and the Targaryen's intercepted the Lannister reinforcements, Lord Tywin Lannister decided that this was the time to use his numerical superiority to strike the city and get rid of the Baratheon's once and for all. With more than 34,000 men at his disposal against Renly's 19,000 or so Stormlords the Lannisters had an advantage at storming the city, although Kevan and Marbrand warned Tywin that the price to pay would be high. Nonetheless, the Westerlander Lord gave the command, and the battle for King's Landing began. Focusing efforts in the damaged Mud Gate the sellswords were quick in pushing forward and scaling the walls, but the Crownlander soldiers were often hesitant to press forward, forcing Tywin to "motivate them". King Renly and his Kingsguard stood close to the battle trying to close the gaps that Tywin's forces opened, and as more and more Lannister troops entered the city the more confusing the situation became. Without wildfire the Baratheons were left without the key weapon, and so they were forced to fight to the death. And indeed, Lord Tywin got very close at cracking down the defense of the battered Stormlords until news came that Barristan Selmy's army was approaching the city. Lord Rosby and several of the Crownlanders took the chance to enact a plot they had been preparing for the past weeks, and took the chance to leave the army to join Daenerys, having a pretty nasty fight against Ser Addam's riders. After more than two days of battle and with thousands dead across the city, the Lannisters were forced to call off the attack due to the losses and the exhaustion. They had failed this time and lost many men, but Renly's troops were incredibly weakened and nobody expected them to survive a second assault if they didn't recieve any help soon.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #292 on: July 04, 2014, 10:40:55 PM »

OOC: It's ridiculous, but I threw four dice for Tywin to account for the numbers and the weakened state of the King's Landing defenses and he drew a seven, what are the odds of that even happening?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #293 on: July 04, 2014, 10:42:19 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2014, 11:33:19 PM by X is Tywinning »

OOC: It's ridiculous, but I threw four dice for Tywin to account for the numbers and the weakened state of the King's Landing defenses and he drew a seven, what are the odds of that even happening?

Lol, your dice simply hate me Tongue
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #294 on: July 05, 2014, 01:00:25 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2014, 01:05:44 AM by Speaker Dereich »

Oh Robb, you literally chose the worst minute to ask me to join you in a sneak attack. I had JUST FINISHED pledging myself to Daenarys and coordinating plans when you dropped a request to join you in an attack on her in my lap.

The Vale was previously pledged to Stannis, but once he (and the dream of a thousand year dynasty of Arryns and Baratheons) died, it was clear that only Daenarys Stormborn was capable of bringing peace and stability to the Seven Kingdoms.

As should be clear, acting on behalf of my son Robert Arryn, Defender of the Vale, Lord of the Eyrie and Warden of the East, I declare that The Vale acknowledges Daenerys Targaryen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea and Mother of Dragons, as Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of all of the Seven Kingdoms.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #295 on: July 05, 2014, 01:11:46 AM »

OOC: I respect that, Dereich. But if you really want to go down that road be sure to do it well. I don't intend to go down without a fight, and I will seek revenge against every traitor.

On the other hand, I really don't get Bolton. In the real story, he only betrayed the Starks once it was clear they had no chance to win... But here, I gave him an army that outnumbered its opponents 2 to 1 and the war is still far from over. Are you sure he'd react that way, Lumine?
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #296 on: July 05, 2014, 01:22:07 AM »

OOC: I respect that, Dereich. But if you really want to go down that road be sure to do it well. I don't intend to go down without a fight, and I will seek revenge against every traitor.

On the other hand, I really don't get Bolton. In the real story, he only betrayed the Starks once it was clear they had no chance to win... But here, I gave him an army that outnumbered its opponents 2 to 1 and the war is still far from over. Are you sure he'd react that way, Lumine?

He is facing the combined forces of the Vale, Reach, and Dorne along with 3 dragons. History shows that you don't want to cross with the owner of the dragons.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #297 on: July 05, 2014, 01:27:42 AM »

Anyway, I will be in San Francisco for the weeks to come, which means I'll have a limited amount of time to dedicate to this game. I'll still do everything i'll need to do to keep the game going and anwer my PMs, bit I won't be able to sustain long winded IC rants, so I will mostly speak OOC.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #298 on: July 05, 2014, 01:31:05 AM »

He is facing the combined forces of the Vale, Reach, and Dorne along with 3 dragons. History shows that you don't want to cross with the owner of the dragons.

Indeed. At first I considered such an action from Bolton to be out of character, but in the books it's hinted that Bolton has been planning his betrayal of the Starks from quite a long time, perhaps as back as the early campaign of Robb in the Riverlands. Roose knows history enough to know that the Starks will not bend the knee to the Targaryens this time and he was just given the ideal position to win what he wants without risking his head by being in Riverrun or with the main army. He could have stayed loyal, but as soon as the ravens notified him of the Tumbleton disaster he knew that it was now or never.

Trusting him with such a reponsibly was probably a mistake, just as Lysa made a mistake by doing such a massive turn to the Targaryens, as her vassals will not react nicely to this (as shown by the disaster Corbray had to face).
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #299 on: July 05, 2014, 01:43:02 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2014, 02:04:19 AM by Speaker Dereich »

I made the best decision I could for the Valelords, myself and my son. The Valelords may think it was a mistake, but at least they will get to live, keep their titles and be able to feed their families and smallfolks through the winter, unlike the Riverlanders, Crownlanders, Westerlanders, Stormlanders, and many Northerners and Reachers.

OOC: Is it really only Dorne and The Vale that are still untouched by the war? This is why you should always start wars as a neutral power.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies