89-year-old former Auschwitz guard arrested in Philadelphia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:53:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  89-year-old former Auschwitz guard arrested in Philadelphia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: 89-year-old former Auschwitz guard arrested in Philadelphia  (Read 9447 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2014, 08:04:27 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »

I always find these cases so interesting. I guess maybe I'm not a "tough-on-crime" conservative, but if someone committed a crime and gets caught 70 years later, doesn't it count for something that the person who committed the crime in 1944 has, over the course of decades, grown into a completely different person? Even if he pulled the trigger and killed someone, 70 years could have completely changed the guy...

I mean... I don't know where I stand on this issue myself. It's tough.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 09:52:07 PM »

I bet that if he killed white people it wouldn't have taken 70 years.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 09:55:53 PM »

At this point I'm not sure why they're even bothering (and for the record I am Jewish, and if I were Harry Truman, I would deliberately extended the war against Germany to use the atomic bomb against them, they deserved it- but now they've more than paid their pennance)
Meursault
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 09:59:46 PM »

What an idiotic idea. You know thousands of Jews were being killed right up to the third week in April 1945, right? Do the words 'Birkenau death march' ring a bell?

By extending the war, you extend the death toll.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 10:00:46 PM »

I still don't see the point of punishing the guardsmen. They would have been shot if they didn't do what Hitler wanted to be done.

If this was 1954, I wouldn't be so opposed to the arrest. But this man is going to be dead within a few years. If he truly did commit atrocities, God will judge him for it.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 10:02:25 PM »

At this point I'm not sure why they're even bothering (and for the record I am Jewish, and if I were Harry Truman, I would deliberately extended the war against Germany to use the atomic bomb against them, they deserved it- but now they've more than paid their pennance)

That's horrifying as it is ahistorical.  Get a grip dude.  

Personally, the question is what punishment is appropriate for someone who is old and frail and committed the crimes long ago.  I don't think a prison sentence would be appropriate most likely.  But, if anyone commits war crimes or crimes against humanity, they should be held to account for them.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 10:14:25 PM »

I still don't see the point of punishing the guardsmen. They would have been shot if they didn't do what Hitler wanted to be done.

I believe the concentration camp guards were volunteers for the SS or that service, and had not been drafted as if they were in the Wehrmacht. And the policy of the SS toward Jews was not a secret, even if some of the methods weren't openly discussed. I welcome evidence to the contrary on the former, though.

People who served in the camps were not prisoners of conscience.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 10:18:54 PM »

I believe the concentration camp guards were volunteers for the SS or that service, and had not been drafted as if they were in the Wehrmacht. And the policy of the SS toward Jews was not a secret, even if some of the methods weren't openly discussed. I welcome evidence to the contrary on the former, though.

People who served in the camps were not prisoners of conscience.

I wasn't aware of that, but IIRC, the SS were (at least after 1941) were drafted from the ranks of the Wehrmacht. I don't remember where I heard this, and I doubt its true, but that was the impression I was under. It's an interesting subject to look into, actually.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 10:23:52 PM »

Much like Soviet commissars and the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, the SS were partially tasked with keeping the standard military in line, so putting conscripts in their rank wouldn't work very well. Such organizations need to have actual believers.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 03:32:08 AM »

This is absolutely ridiculous. What a farce.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 03:40:44 AM »

lol @ people literally defending a concentration camp guard. Congrats, forum, you have reached a new low today.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 03:48:34 AM »

lol @ people literally defending a concentration camp guard. Congrats, forum, you have reached a new low today.

What threat does this man pose to society?  Do you feel threatened by an 89 year old man being at large?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 03:57:54 AM »

What threat does this man pose to society?  Do you feel threatened by an 89 year old man being at large?

My God would you just shut up.
Meursault
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 04:04:17 AM »

I'll go a step further: the brutal rendition of Adolf Eichmann from Argentina by the Israelis in 1960 was unconscionable.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 04:21:26 AM »

I'll go a step further: the brutal rendition of Adolf Eichmann from Argentina by the Israelis in 1960 was unconscionable.

Sometimes going a step further means that you have gone two steps too far.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 04:26:37 AM »

My God would you just shut up.

No. Speak up for yourself.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 04:54:52 AM »

LOL, Nazis are the victims now. You people are sick.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 05:39:46 AM »

I bet that if he killed white people it wouldn't have taken 70 years.

Do Poles and German Jehovah's Witnesses (of whom there were, I believe, a few in Auschwitz) not count as white? Unless of course I've fallen for trollbait, in which case, nice work Wink

Anyway, if this man was just a 'guard', then he shouldn't be charged. If it can be proven that he was involved in killings, then he should. That's it...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 05:52:20 AM »

I like it when Nazi-scum is tracked down and brought to justice.

No matter how old they are ...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 06:01:31 AM »

I like it when Nazi-scum is tracked down and brought to justice.

No matter how old they are ...

(normal)
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 07:05:00 AM »

No just no. First of all, almost all you think about Nazi Germany are wrong. As people have already said it was party members (SS) who worked in the camps. Also among these was people who objected to working in the concentration and death camps. They was moved to other services, sometimes to the front, sometimes to administrative duties. The Nazi's knew that not everybody was cut to starve and murder thousands of people.

Ironic there was guards who was punished, but these was usual punished for excessive brutality. The camp commander in Schindler's List as example was removed from duty and was waiting for his trial when the war ended. His crimes; excessive brutality.
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 08:02:52 AM »

There is certain hypocrisy here. Some of the big Nazi leaders were of course executed after the Nuremberg, but a large number of high ranking officials and officers in the Wehrmacht, Gestapo and SS were not punished. They were needed by either the Western Allies or the Soviets. The guy who developed the V2 ballistic missile for Germany went on to work for the Americans.  Albert Speer died as the “Good Nazi”.

A lot of the men that organized the German war effort and the repression got lenient sentences (or no punishment at all), and were back at work shortly after the war. They long dead at this point. The ones that are left were usually young and low ranking. It is something disgraceful by a process that lets the ringleaders go unpunished, but punishes the foot soldiers.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 08:16:33 AM »

Personally, I feel like the U.S. should refuse to extradite in a case like this.

This 89 year old obviously poses no risk to the wellbeing of those around him, and its quite frankly stupid for the German government to be pulling these shenanigans. 
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 08:20:16 AM »

The man at least deserves a trial guys, let's see what comes of it.

We all know Nazis are evil, you can save your blood thirst for another day.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies