89-year-old former Auschwitz guard arrested in Philadelphia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:00:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  89-year-old former Auschwitz guard arrested in Philadelphia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: 89-year-old former Auschwitz guard arrested in Philadelphia  (Read 9454 times)
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2014, 10:42:13 PM »

This man is obviously awful and should face justice, though it's interesting that the war criminals who have held office for the past 60 years have not and will never get the same.

Milosevic ended up on trial at the Hague, though he died before his trial could be completed.  Karadzic and Mladic are both currently on trial.  Saddam Hussein was convicted of a tiny fraction of the murders he committed, but there's a scale issue there in that your punishment can't go higher than the death penalty.  Charles Taylor is serving a fifty year sentence for warcrimes.  It's true that a depressing amount of people do get away (Pol Pot and Idi Amin are especially glaring examples) and it's problematic in the extreme that someone like Omar al-Bashir might well die in office completely unobstructed by his indictment for war crimes, but war crimes trials can and do happen in the modern world to reasonable success.

I was referring to the murderers who have sat in the Oval Office for decades.

None of whom have even been indicted, let alone convicted, of warcrimes...?  I don't get this definition.

The leaders of great powers tend to be above the law. Only the thugs from litte countries (Liberia, former Yugoslavia, Rwanda, etc.) face justice.
Leaders of great powers don't commit war crimes.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2014, 10:44:26 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2014, 10:49:57 PM by politicus »

This man is obviously awful and should face justice, though it's interesting that the war criminals who have held office for the past 60 years have not and will never get the same.

Milosevic ended up on trial at the Hague, though he died before his trial could be completed.  Karadzic and Mladic are both currently on trial.  Saddam Hussein was convicted of a tiny fraction of the murders he committed, but there's a scale issue there in that your punishment can't go higher than the death penalty.  Charles Taylor is serving a fifty year sentence for warcrimes.  It's true that a depressing amount of people do get away (Pol Pot and Idi Amin are especially glaring examples) and it's problematic in the extreme that someone like Omar al-Bashir might well die in office completely unobstructed by his indictment for war crimes, but war crimes trials can and do happen in the modern world to reasonable success.

None of whom have even been indicted, let alone convicted, of warcrimes...?  I don't get this definition.

The leaders of great powers tend to be above the law. Only the thugs from little countries (Liberia, former Yugoslavia, Rwanda, etc.) face justice.

Huh

That's absurd.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2014, 10:51:15 PM »

Milosevic ended up on trial at the Hague, though he died before his trial could be completed.  Karadzic and Mladic are both currently on trial.  Saddam Hussein was convicted of a tiny fraction of the murders he committed, but there's a scale issue there in that your punishment can't go higher than the death penalty.  Charles Taylor is serving a fifty year sentence for warcrimes.  It's true that a depressing amount of people do get away (Pol Pot and Idi Amin are especially glaring examples) and it's problematic in the extreme that someone like Omar al-Bashir might well die in office completely unobstructed by his indictment for war crimes, but war crimes trials can and do happen in the modern world to reasonable success.

PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2014, 10:58:18 PM »

The leaders of great powers tend to be above the law. Only the thugs from little countries (Liberia, former Yugoslavia, Rwanda, etc.) face justice.

Huh

That's absurd.
Name one leader alive today.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #79 on: June 21, 2014, 11:04:08 PM »

PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE SAGE
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2014, 11:08:05 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2014, 11:12:51 PM by politicus »

Huh

That's absurd.

Alive today is an additional criteria which is irrelevant for the discussion, but among recently diseased Boris Yeltsin qualifies for the Chechnyan Wars, and Putin is of course fully capable of it. One of the two candidates for the Indonesian presidency is a war criminal (East Timor).

If you are talking about Snowstalker he actually has a point here.

PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2014, 11:51:45 PM »

Huh

That's absurd.

Alive today is an additional criteria which is irrelevant for the discussion, but among recently diseased Boris Yeltsin qualifies for the Chechnyan Wars, and Putin is of course fully capable of it. One of the two candidates for the Indonesian presidency is a war criminal (East Timor).
Russia and Indonesia are not great powers. Besides that, Chechnya and East Timor were non-state actors so there weren't any real wars there.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2014, 12:03:17 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2014, 12:08:17 AM by politicus »

Russia and Indonesia are not great powers. Besides that, Chechnya and East Timor were non-state actors so there weren't any real wars there.

Not sure if you are serious or just trolling, but deluge material anyway.

Claiming that Russia is not a great power and that civil wars are not real wars is pretty far out.

EDIT: Okay, I just checked your posting history and troll it is, so you are going on ignore.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2014, 12:33:19 AM »

Not sure if you are serious or just trolling, but deluge material anyway.

Claiming that Russia is not a great power and that civil wars are not real wars is pretty far out.

EDIT: Okay, I just checked your posting history and troll it is, so you are going on ignore.
At best Russia is a regional power: calling it a great power is absurd. Even Obama calls it a regional power.
Also, the local insurgents were illegal actors, so there could be no war crimes. There could be crimes against humanity, but no war crimes.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2014, 02:31:55 PM »

No need to argue this one anymore.......he's dead.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/state/2014/07/23/Suspected-Nazi-death-camp-guard-dies-in-Philadelphia/stories/201407230192
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2014, 04:10:16 PM »

Hideki Tojo was Prime Minister of Japan during most of its war with the US. He was convicted of sundry crimes against peace, crimes against humanity, and conventional war crimes, for which he was sentenced to die by hanging and was so executed.

Japan was undeniably a major power during WWII.

George W. Bush is a war criminal, by the way. Unlike previous Presidents from Nixon to Clinton he has stayed in the US and not ventured to foreign countries since his term ended.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »

Thank goodness he can now Rest in Peace. Only God will be his judge, not the reactionaries and zionists!

See what I meant in the other thread?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2014, 04:38:21 PM »

he probably didn't do anything wrong

I want to hope this is just ignorance, rather than a display of your utterly twisted sense of morality.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2014, 04:42:46 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2014, 04:45:35 PM by Hifly »

Up yours Ray Goldfield. You and your twisted conservatism has been defeated today!! Cheesy

I want to hope this is just ignorance, rather than a display of your utterly twisted sense of morality.

What charges should we make up against him? Rudolf Höß and the rest have already faced the penalty for their murderous actions.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2014, 04:47:23 PM »

Dude, he was in the S-[Inks]ing-S.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2014, 04:54:55 PM »

One of the most common misconceptions is that being in the SS automatically makes you a murderous criminal. This is certainly not the case. Loads of future politicians and prominent German public figures were in the SS. Even Günter Grass!
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2014, 04:56:06 PM »

Whose division functioned like a normal Panzer division. I'm familiar with the broad strokes of Grass's biography.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2014, 04:56:58 PM »

Even more reason to wish he had been caught, and brought to trial 20 years ago. He got to die before even facing the beginning of justice.

Seriously, are you a troll, or are you just a f***ing nazi?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2014, 05:05:32 PM »

Even more reason to wish he had been caught, and brought to trial 20 years ago. He got to die before even facing the beginning of justice.

Maybe he's just "joking"
Maistre
United States

« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2014, 05:08:56 PM »

RIH
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2014, 05:22:59 PM »

What charges should we make up against him? What exactly did he do? You seem to have information that the rest of the world doesn't have.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2014, 05:30:35 PM »

Well, my point stands. He croaked before the trial, and this will happen with the remaining Nazi guards as well. God's wrath is enough, and I am sure that if he was guilty (which of course he was), it will be more brutal than anything we mortals can do.

Also this, though I prefer "BIH" (burn in hell)...
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2014, 05:41:26 PM »

What charges should we make up against him? What exactly did he do? You seem to have information that the rest of the world doesn't have.

Being a voluntary guard at Auschwitz is most certainly at the very least accessory to murder. And that's assuming that all he did was stand around and guard the gate, which from all that we know about the SS, is not what happened. Guards at Auschwitz committed more atrocious crimes in the course of a day, than the majority of Nazi soldiers did over the course of the war.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2014, 06:37:42 PM »

Thank goodness he can now Rest in Peace. Only God will be his judge, not the reactionaries and zionists!

See what I meant in the other thread?

Not really. I'm just happy that the judicial reactionaries who wanted him tried for murder even though he probably didn't do anything wrong and the conservative zionists who wanted him hanged have been defeated. They have a really backward attitude to justice.

You would have been a good NSDAP voter. I'll leave it at that.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2014, 08:12:14 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2014, 08:19:03 PM by Ray Goldfield »

F*** it, I refuse to be baited into an actual exchange over a post as disgusting as that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies