Balance of Power - WORLD WAR (The End)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:22:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Balance of Power - WORLD WAR (The End)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Balance of Power - WORLD WAR (The End)  (Read 9623 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2014, 11:38:56 AM »

I'd say Lumine has made his choice, Germany has won some battles in the initial phase war of the war, which doesn't have to mean really much. There was no talk of France completely destroyed, a look on the map proves that I didn't even get out of Lorraine, I'm at most at the Champagne border!
And This is as unlikely as you say - remember 1871, when Germany easily got to Paris, without even a centralized army and without most of southern Germany? The French and German army were about even for about ever, otherwise there couldn't have existed such a long, equal rivalry, as the stronger power would have tried (successfully) to significantly weak the other. Plus that I retreaded a bit to the east wasn't entirely bad, too, as the German armies fought down the Vosges and there were not huge frontier fortifications as on the OTL border.
Germant managed to win in 1870 because Bismarck was a perfect bad ass and that France made a lot of mistakes.

Guys, could you stop with the RL arguments? Since he took over the United States, Clarence had been enlarging it's army and naval potential.
That"s not enough to consider that the USA is a major military power.

Guys, you make be good players, but in only 4 years, you can't make miracles.

Well, you never had such qualms when "miracles" were working on your favor Roll Eyes

What do you mean?

One may argue that recovery of the Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire are not very realistic too, but I don't remember you ever objecting to that. To the contrary, you were very confident.

There is a difference between "recovering" and becoming a major power.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2014, 11:42:09 AM »

Gentlemen, this is the war room thread, you can't fight in here!

But seriously, I would prefer if this was continued (if needed be) in the Sign Up and Rules thread.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2014, 11:45:07 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2014, 11:49:00 AM by Vittorio Emanuele III »

I'd say Lumine has made his choice, Germany has won some battles in the initial phase war of the war, which doesn't have to mean really much. There was no talk of France completely destroyed, a look on the map proves that I didn't even get out of Lorraine, I'm at most at the Champagne border!
And This is as unlikely as you say - remember 1871, when Germany easily got to Paris, without even a centralized army and without most of southern Germany? The French and German army were about even for about ever, otherwise there couldn't have existed such a long, equal rivalry, as the stronger power would have tried (successfully) to significantly weak the other. Plus that I retreaded a bit to the east wasn't entirely bad, too, as the German armies fought down the Vosges and there were not huge frontier fortifications as on the OTL border.
Germant managed to win in 1870 because Bismarck was a perfect bad ass and that France made a lot of mistakes.

Guys, could you stop with the RL arguments? Since he took over the United States, Clarence had been enlarging it's army and naval potential.

Was you reaching St. Petersburg in a year and a half not a miracle?

With all due respect, considering you still have an Austria-Hungary to rule over and this, you've been the one who's benefited the most from historical impossibilities in this game.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2014, 11:45:59 AM »

Well, you never had such qualms when "miracles" were working on your favor Roll Eyes

What do you mean?

One may argue that recovery of the Austria-Hungary and the Ottoman Empire are not very realistic too, but I don't remember you ever objecting to that. To the contrary, you were very confident.

The United States already had a strong fundamentals to build on.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2014, 11:50:34 AM »

Was you reaching St. Petersburg in a year and a half not a miracle?

That wasn't a miracle at all when Russia faced attacks from all side without any ally.
And, if you speak about St. Petesburg, I wouldn't have probably conquered the city, because Russians played too much defensive. That's why I wanted to make peace.

What do you mean?

The United States already had a strong fundamentals to build on.

Yep, Clarence is an extremely good player, but that's definitely not enough to believe the  USA is a major military player. the USA has become more powerful, I agree. But I believe that's not a major military player yet.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2014, 11:51:30 AM »

It sorrows me gravely, but the Ottoman Empire must honor our sacred commitments toward our allies, just as they honor their commitments toward us. Thereby, we declare the state of war exists between the Ottoman Empire and the French Republic.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2014, 12:11:09 PM »

Propaganda themes:

- It's time to avenge the British agression in 1901.
- Exploit the Sack of Mecca and previous British misdeeds, such as the opium scandal, throught the Empire and the Muslim world.
- Emphasize the Muslim unity; together we shall liberate the Holy Land from heathen opressors and avenge the grave insult to our faith.
- An enthusiastic welcome our troops has received in Palestine only confirms a rotten nature of the crumbling British imperialism. The New World is rising.
- Remind a remarkable progress that has been make during the last years to transform the Ottoman Empire from an old, antiquate Empire into a strong, modern power.
- Ibn Saud is a traitor, a British lapdog, and shall pay for betraying his fellow Muslims with his head.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2014, 03:06:11 PM »

Propaganda themes:

- Exploit the Sack of Mecca and previous British misdeeds, such as the opium scandal, throught the Empire and the Muslim world.
- Emphasize the Muslim unity; together we shall liberate the Holy Land from heathen opressors and avenge the grave insult to our faith.
- An enthusiastic welcome our troops has received in Palestine only confirms a rotten nature of the crumbling British imperialism. The New World is rising.
- Remind a remarkable progress that has been make during the last years to transform the Ottoman Empire from an old, antiquate Empire into a strong, modern power.
- Ibn Saud is a traitor, a British lapdog, and shall pay for betraying his fellow Muslims with his head.

I shall use this piece to draw the Shiite Persians into the war on my side  as they fear further Ottoman-Sunni encroachment Wink
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2014, 03:14:57 PM »

I'm a teensy bit skeptical over the fact that the Germans broke through the Maginot Line so fast, which in OTL would have been impossible and is why they invaded Belgium, but I accept the results all the same. After all, while Germany made gains in Europe, they fumbled in Togo, Nabimia, and Cameroon (let's not talk about Tanzania Smiley )
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2014, 03:19:05 PM »

Propaganda themes:

I shall use this piece to draw the Shiite Persians into the war on my side  as they fear further Ottoman-Sunni encroachment Wink

And I shall remind them that insulted and desacrated Mecca is as important for them, as for every Muslim, regardless of differences Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2014, 03:19:37 PM »

I'm a teensy bit skeptical over the fact that the Germans broke through the Maginot Line so fast, which in OTL would have been impossible and is why they invaded Belgium, but I accept the results all the same. After all, while Germany made gains in Europe, they fumbled in Togo, Nabimia, and Cameroon (let's not talk about Tanzania Smiley )

There was a Maginot Line in 1905?
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2014, 03:21:16 PM »

Oops. Tongue

I'm so stupid, I just looked it up. Roll Eyes
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2014, 03:22:32 PM »

So I speak as the AHU player this time Tongue.

AHU will stay neutral.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2014, 03:22:44 PM »

Oops. Tongue

I'm so stupid, I just looked it up. Roll Eyes

Well, I remember thinking back in 1901 that I actually already have Berlin-Baghdad railroad, lol Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2014, 03:23:38 PM »

AHU will stay neutral.

The Ottoman Empire is dissapointed with the AHU failure to aid their allies in time of great need. We shall think of revising our, until now, very close relations.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2014, 03:26:09 PM »

AHU will stay neutral.

The Ottoman Empire is dissapointed with the AHU failure to aid their allies in time of great need. We shall think of revising our, until now, very close relations.

Roll Eyes  because it's not like you're one of the attackers or anything Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2014, 03:27:11 PM »

AHU will stay neutral.

Roll Eyes  because it's not like you're one of the attackers or anything Wink

Well, the British Empire accusing anyone of being an "attacker" is rich, given their record Wink
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2014, 03:27:47 PM »

AHU will stay neutral.

Well, I'm tired of making long speech. So I want to promote peace blablabla.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2014, 07:56:28 PM »

My orders will be in as soon as I consult with my allies.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2014, 08:05:09 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2014, 08:07:26 PM by Spamage »

Shall I do France again?

If so, one of the advantages besides technology and population I have over the others is coordination, seeing as I'm facing so many different countries I think I need this Wink
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2014, 01:15:29 PM »

Shall I do France again?

If so, one of the advantages besides technology and population I have over the others is coordination, seeing as I'm facing so many different countries I think I need this Wink

Please do, Spamage! I now have the orders from Germany, the Ottoman Empire and the United States, which means I still need Italy, Japan and France-Britain. My tentative limit is tomorrow in the afternoon so I can have the results tomorrow night (as I explained in the other game, I'm finally having enough time to deal with btoh games). I also plan to establish some time limits in order to make this run more smooth.

Lastly, I thank the players for their efforts despite my latest mistakes, and I hope that from now on I can make this efficient enough to be even more enjoyable.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2014, 01:22:21 PM »

Shall I do France again?

Please do, Spamage! I now have the orders from Germany, the Ottoman Empire and the United States, which means I still need Italy, Japan and France-Britain. My tentative limit is tomorrow in the afternoon so I can have the results tomorrow night (as I explained in the other game, I'm finally having enough time to deal with btoh games). I also plan to establish some time limits in order to make this run more smooth.

That is a marvelous idea!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2014, 01:36:05 PM »

Hey Lumine, I fixed some of the stuff here - those large island groups in Micronesia are Japan's, Germany gave them to us, so I colored them red. I'll have my moves in shortly.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2014, 10:04:43 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2014, 10:37:10 PM by Senator Lumine »

Phase Two Results:

New Participants:

-With the British Empire looking weak in America and the pressure from the United States and other nations, Argentina and Brazil have taken the lead in declaring war on England and France. Venezuela had some British elements inside the goverment, but they were quickly sidelined by elements from other nations there as well, securing Venezuelan neutrality. On the other hand, the British Empire used it's available prestige to bring Abyssinia and Portugal into the war, which meant that the Spanish would be neutral from now. The Benelux (I know, it's anachronism) remains neutral as well, just like China (who sees the colonial powers as too strong in Asia).

Warfare Results:

European/Mediterranean Front:

German Offensive Into France:
-Decisive German Victory: (It's really really weird, but the number generator gave me the same number than last time) With the French building trenches and sending their reserves into the fight, this didn't look good for the Germans. Still, the German High Command went all out launching most available reserves while using massive artillery duels to destroy the French positions. Once the front was broken near Reims, they pushed forward with everything they had, pushing deeper and deeper until reaching the outskirts of Paris and defeating the British forces. The French government has deployed it's forces near the capital to fight a decisive battle there, and some speak of going to Orleans or Burdeaux in case things go badly.

Savoy Campaign:
-Major Italian Defeat: With the Italians trying to force the French into battle and the French staying in their trenches, this looked like a boring front until the French tricked their enemies and forced them to a battle in their terms, with the Italians at a disadvantage in numbers and terrain, they suffered heavy losses and were forced to give up some miles of land before regrouping.

Nice-Marseilles Offensive:
-Major Italian Victory: Unlike Savoy, this was a real triumph for the Italians, who managed to break through the defenses of Nice and push all the way to Marseille, getting close to the city and forcing the French to withdraw their fleet and naval assets just in case.

Morocco:
-Stalemate: It seems none of the armies settled here were willing to risk their holdings, so the only battles were some light skirmishes and some minor actions by the US Fleet, meaning that the front will be stable here.

Invasion of Corsica:
-Italian Tactical Victory: With the last Italian offensive directed to Corsica, many expected a short fight and a quick victory. And while the Italians did land in the island, the French put up a desperate resistance in the mountains, halting further movement until the Italians had established supply lines to the mainland.

Invasion of Sardinia:
-British Tactical Victory: Similar to the invasion of Corsica, the British struck the zone with the few ships left to the Mediterranean Fleet (remember that they don't have infinite ships to strike everywhere with full might), facing a good deal of resistance and forcing them to keep a few ports for now.

Invasion of Crete:
-Major French Defeat: Hoping they could take over the island before the arrival of reinforcements, the French Army chose to attack the remaining zones controlled by the Greeks with the help of their fleet. It was sucessful at first, but the arrival of Italian reinforcements and the weakened state of the French Fleet meant that the invasion ended up in a smashing defeat, forcing the French Navy to withdraw to Tobruk after Malta was lost.

Middle East Front:

British Landing in Syria:
-Major British Defeat: Hoping to push forward and take over Syria to cripple the Ottoman Empire, the British brought reinforcements while the Ottomans pushed to contain the brigdehead. At first it looked like the British would hold their lines, but the population was up in arms and screaming bloody murder at the British for their sacrilege in Mecca. They actually took their personal weapons and charged as well, pushing until the British could not held so many troops in such a small place and forcing them to withdraw back to Cyprus (without heavy losses for the British, it must be said).

Ottoman Palestine Campaign
-Stalemate: The British Army was prepared to strike back with a pincer attack, but with Arabia facing a massive revolt and Ibn Saud busy trying to contain the Rashids and the popular wave supporting them, the British had to strike alone, forcing a massive stalemate across the coast with hundreds of civilians dying in attacks and even more Jewish settlers forced into the city to avoid assassination.

American Front:

Invasion of Cuba:
-Stalemate: Still weakened after Puerto Rico, the British High Command chose to strike again with the few available forces and go after Cuba hoping for popular support. Their first strike against Guantanamo Bay was a failure thanks to the American defenses, but the landings near Havana had no enemy troops waiting, so they were technically a sucess. There are rumours of Cubans joining the British forces, but so far the situation is confusing.

Belize Campaign:
-Major American Victory: With the British weakened after their failed offensive, American troops quickly stormed the colony and they captured the remaining forces in the zone.

Brazil Campaign:
-Major Brazilian Victory: Taking the chance to capture and annex some desired land and not trust the Americans to be defeated, the Brazilian Army quikcly stormed the French and British colonies in the zone and formally annexed them.

British Offensive into Canada:
-Major British Victory: Canada was having a good amount of revolts, and the British High Command struck again, using some of the forces that fought in the Atlantic to launch a quick "island campaign" to take the desert islands in the North. They also disembarked a couple of Highlander divisions in Quebec, taking some mostly deserted islands and forests without meeting American forces.

French Strike in California:
-Major French Defeat: In a move that confused many, the French deployed their limited assets in the South Pacific to raid California and capture a few islands. Needless to say, the high logistical strain and the presence of well trained and well prepared American forces in the zone doomed this operation and turned it into a disaster.

Hawaii Campaign:
-Major British Victory: In a move that shocked and angered many Americans, President Hay announced that American forces would withdraw from the islands, which made it easy for the British and the Hawaiian rebels to take control of all the islands and secure victory.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2014, 10:07:22 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2014, 06:56:32 PM by Senator Lumine »

African Front:

Eritrea and Somaliland Campaign:
-Franco-British Major Victory: Without many supplies and heavily outnumbered, the Italians fought, but they were beated and the entire region captured.

Cameroon and Namibia Campaign:
-Franco-British Major Victory: No surprises here, the remaining Germans in Cameroon and Namibia were just too weak to defend successfully, and so the colony has fallen as well.

Tanzania Campaign:
-Pyhrric German Victory: Dernburg and Lettow-Vorbeck took a lot of supplies from the defeated British forces and prepared to consolidate their gains, but they were forced to fight off another British offensive into Tanzania. Ambushing his enemies, Lettow-Vorbeck won another resounding success and technically captured even more territory, but he lost many of his officers and lost any chance to press the attack, being forced to regroup to recruit more Askari.

Namibia Campaign:
-Franco-British Tactical Victory: Facing a colony divided and still filled with insurgents from the Herero natives, it was not hard for the British to link up with them and slowly destroy the German units, quickly taking over the colony and having a few pockets of resistance left.

Asian Front:

Japanese Pacific Campaign:
-Major Japanese Victory: With British and French assets busy in other operations (and the fleet in Singapore seemingly focused in other issues), the Japanese begun a campaign of island hopping, using their superiority to take a good amount of islands with few losses (mostly due to the defenses in some places) and even reaching Noumea in their attempt to cut off British supply lines in the Pacific.

New Guinea Offensive:
-Tactical British Victory: Hoping to evict the Japanese from one of their newest colonies, the British sent Australian and native forces to the offensive. Needless to say, they defeated the Japanese, but their movement is severely reduced thanks to the terrain.

Philippines Victory:
-Tactical British Victory: Establishing contact with the natives and recruiting some of them, the British were successful in taking a few islands in the Philippines, and there are rumours of unrest in zones garrisoned by the Japanese.

Naval Front:

Atlantic Campaign:
-Pyrrich British Victory: The British tried to go in the offensive, pushing deeper into the North Sea and attacking the Americans. While operations in the North Sea were sucessfull and the High Seas Fleet chose to play defense, the American Fleet fought the British once again in a bloody battle to the death. In the end, the British won and retook control of a good part of the Atlantic, but at such a heavy cost that the Home Fleet feels that more battles like this can only help to destroy the British naval power, not help it.

Intelligence Front:
-The usual sabotage options, with France as the main scenario of bridges being blown up and such. An unidentified man fired some shots to the French Prime Minister before killing himself, and many suspect this to be the work of another head of state.

Overview:

-Further victories for the Entente, but the Allies have managed to pull a victory or two for morale's sake. The British have lost quite a good amount of naval strenght in their various operations, but it seems they can still launch sucessful strikes provided they are careful. The French are not in a good position, and they will need an all-out assault on the Germans to save Pars.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies