Should the US propose annexation with Canada?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:02:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the US propose annexation with Canada?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
Yes (American)

Yes (Canadian)

Yes (Neither American nor Canadian)

No (American)

No (Canadian)

No (Neither American nor Canadian)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 110

Author Topic: Should the US propose annexation with Canada?  (Read 6627 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2014, 01:23:46 AM »

Just for fun.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 01:29:53 AM »

Would the US annex Canada or Canada annex the US?

I once saw a T-shirt with a map dividing  North America between the United States of Canada (most of Canada, New England, New York and the Upper Mid West + the Pacific coast) and Jesusland (the South + Mid West and Mountain States +  Alberta. I think this made sense. So if Canada could annex the liberal parts of the US and give Alberta to the rump union that would seem ideal.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 01:56:37 AM »

Would the US annex Canada or Canada annex the US?

I once saw a T-shirt with a map dividing  North America between the United States of Canada (most of Canada, New England, New York and the Upper Mid West + the Pacific coast) and Jesusland (the South + Mid West and Mountain States +  Alberta. I think this made sense. So if Canada could annex the liberal parts of the US and give Alberta to the rump union that would seem ideal.

Canada in the US would form a partnership in this scenario, so both heads of government would have to compromise on how the new government should be established.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 02:20:17 AM »

No
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 08:43:39 AM »

Most definitely. Each province would ideally be admitted as an individual state (though PEI would probably have to join with either New Brunswick or Nova Scotia, considering its population). On the other hand, the US would have to adopt single-payer healthcare for the entire country. Smiley
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 09:05:03 AM »

Can't we just invade them and take their oil?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 09:45:20 AM »

Uh, no.

I would hope that an attempt to do so would involve the rest of the world to rally to our defence. At which point I would join the resistance to defend the country. I DO NOT WANT to live in the U.S. thank you very much.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 09:46:36 AM »

Yes, Canada should annex the US.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 10:15:49 AM »

I don't think either nation should "annex" the other, but I would support the formation of a common currency with the Canadians, open borders, and a common regulatory framework.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 10:25:19 AM »

Uh, no.

I would hope that an attempt to do so would involve the rest of the world to rally to our defence. At which point I would join the resistance to defend the country. I DO NOT WANT to live in the U.S. thank you very much.

I don't actually support forcibly annexing Canada. I only support our two countries combining because I like Canada so much. As TNF notes above, realistically, I support completely open borders between the US and Canada without restriction (something like the Schengen Agreement). There are certainly other issues, such as a common currency, where our two countries could work together.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 12:22:18 PM »

Annexing the 3rd largest oil reserves on earth would be an international scandal of epic proportions. Currency union maybe, but not civic integration.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 12:54:21 PM »

Uh, no.

I don't actually support forcibly annexing Canada. I only support our two countries combining because I like Canada so much. As TNF notes above, realistically, I support completely open borders between the US and Canada without restriction (something like the Schengen Agreement). There are certainly other issues, such as a common currency, where our two countries could work together.

Open borders would work. I'd be wary of a common currency though. Our economy is dragged down enough when the US is recession.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 01:00:26 PM »

Uh, no.

You know what would be hilarious? CBC talking about how awesome Putin is because he's defending Canada from American imperialists.

Realistically though, we'd be screwed. I would probably just try to keep my head down.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 02:08:44 PM »

Uh, no.

The U.S. would be a fundamentally different country if Canada were a part of it, though. We'd probably be looking at 50 new Democratic representatives and 18 new Democratic senators overnigh, and the new Canadian states would keep running like they've been running for years.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 02:55:02 PM »

I don't think either nation should "annex" the other, but I would support the formation of a common currency with the Canadians, open borders, and a common regulatory framework.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 03:07:12 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2014, 03:56:04 PM by politicus »

Uh, no.

The U.S. would be a fundamentally different country if Canada were a part of it, though. We'd probably be looking at 50 new Democratic representatives and 18 new Democratic senators overnigh, and the new Canadian states would keep running like they've been running for years.

PEI is too small to become a state so you only get 9 new states and Alberta would be staunchly Republican, so that gives you 16 Democratic and 2 Republican senators. Then there is the possibility of some other states electing moderate Republicans.

Jesusland in red, US of C in blue, would add Iowa to US of C.

AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 07:44:21 PM »

Sure. The Canadians are in a hurry to associate themselves with the party that created the worst entitlement state in the developed world. You'd be lucky if Canadians were independent after the liberal honeymoon wears off. Worst case for Dems, Canadians would become progressive Republicans of the Olympia Snow persuasion.

Foreign countries are ideologically aligned with the Democratic Party, but if you haven't noticed, liberals around the world do not embrace failure like Democratic voters in the US.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2014, 07:48:07 PM »

No.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 10:06:18 PM »

Like a few others who have posted, I do not believe in annexation but in entering discussions for a potential union.....common currency, health care,foreign relations, etc..
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2014, 10:18:35 PM »

I'm in favor of annexing any territories that makes the U.S. more liberal Cheesy
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2014, 11:36:24 PM »

If there were a union, it should add six or seven states depending upon whether Quebec joins.  The maritimes should admitted only as a single state and at a minimum Yukon added to Alaska and possibly all the territories unless they are added to ex-Canadian provinces.  Note, I'd keep the Northwest and Nunavut governments as reservation governments so that the principal effect would be to give the people of the territories the right to vote for Federal office holders.

That said, I think an arrangement more like the Eurozone would be better than annexation.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 12:48:03 AM »

Tehehe...
Bozo the Clown
Rookie
United States