Vending machines for marihuana products coming
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:00:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Vending machines for marihuana products coming
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vending machines for marihuana products coming  (Read 1334 times)
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2014, 06:27:40 AM »
« edited: June 22, 2014, 06:54:11 AM by eric82oslo »

What do you all think of this development?

VailDaily.com: "Eagle-Vail dispensary to get first marijuana vending machine ": http://www.vaildaily.com/news/11051004-113/machine-marijuana-honan-products

Washington Post: "Even as marijuana gains ground, some tightly enforce laws" (includes a reference to the new machine): http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/even-as-marijuana-gains-ground-some-tightly-enforce-laws/2014/06/21/2d0f8230-d21d-11e3-9e25-188ebe1fa93b_story.html?hpid=z1

Freedom fighting face of the fantastic future?

Also this: "But even as marijuana use increases across the nation — the number of smokers jumped 20 percent between 2007 and 2010, according to a federal survey — enforcement of laws against the drug is diminishing in most places. Possession arrest numbers nationwide had increased in the early 2000s, but from 2007 to 2012, the number of possession arrests per day of marijuana use fell 42 percent, according to an analysis of crime data by Keith Humphreys, a Stanford University psychiatrist and former senior drug policy adviser to the Obama administration."

Here's a WP video on the wider subject, moving from Colorado (where marihuana dispensaries are now more common than Starbucks) to West Virginia (where it's still enforced as a serious drug in some counties): http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/c/embed/258eca62-f7c4-11e3-8118-eae4d5b48c7d?e=null
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 08:51:59 AM »

What do you all think of this development?

I think it would dry out if prepackaged and put into machines.  Dry weed produces a nasty aftertaste and yields headaches.  I suppose they could put a little bit of orange peel or something like that in each package, but anything you put in the package to keep the weed from becoming dessicated and harsh would affect its flavor.  I'm going to have to give this one a thumbs down.  Keep it on bud, stored at an appropriate level of humidity, till it is sold.  Then pull it from bulk pro re nata. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 10:10:48 AM »

Wonderful news!
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 10:13:03 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2014, 08:26:27 PM by Former Moderate »

This is wonderful news.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 10:39:55 AM »

Read the article. It sounds like it'd be a machine in a pot store after one gives one's ID to the front desk or something. Not a machine out on the street or the like.

The latter would of course be a stupid, stupid idea due to age restriictions being unenforcable.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 10:42:32 AM »

I have no problem with this so long as minors cannot use them. I can remember seeing cigarette vending machines when I was young, but I haven't seen one since. They were very accessible to minors, as a 7-year-old me could've have easily bought a pack of cigarettes out of one without an adult knowing.

I'd also note to the OP that the generally accepted spelling is 'marijuana'. Any time I see 'marihuana', I think of the Marihuana Tax of 1937 and Reefer Madness.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 03:58:53 PM »

Cheesy
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 07:28:51 PM »

I think the marijuana industry is doing everything in its power to scuttle legalization.

This is an impossibly stupid idea, along with the proliferation of food products, particularly candy and sweets. The point of legalization was to undo social injustice and get government out of our lives, not create a new corporate vice industry.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 10:45:04 PM »

I'd also note to the OP that the generally accepted spelling is 'marijuana'. Any time I see 'marihuana', I think of the Marihuana Tax of 1937 and Reefer Madness.

It is the older spelling and also in accordance with the way it is spelled and pronounced in Spanish, so I tend to use marihuana myself.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 10:34:50 AM »

The point of legalization was to undo social injustice and get government out of our lives, not create a new corporate vice industry.

That was always going to be one of the results, though.  Big Pot is a necessary component to legal pot.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 12:23:40 PM »

That was always going to be one of the results, though.  Big Pot is a necessary component to legal pot.

Corporate cultivation is inevitable. Marijuana candy by Masterfoods, available at your local grocery mega-chain is not inevitable. Neither is 24hr marijuana vending machines. It is beneficial to regulate vice industry, as long as you don't outlaw it or create black markets.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 01:39:03 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marijuana_Party
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length