As flawed as it is, here is, in my view, the brighest spot of US Healthcare (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:20:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  As flawed as it is, here is, in my view, the brighest spot of US Healthcare (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: As flawed as it is, here is, in my view, the brighest spot of US Healthcare  (Read 1985 times)
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« on: June 24, 2014, 08:38:36 AM »

Medical Innovation. Over the last decade, America has produced half, half, of the world's new medicine and medical devices. Today, 12 of the top 20 medical device companies are headquartered in the U.S. Whether or not this holds is anyone's guess, but the tremendous amount of innovation that occurs in our medical field here in America benefits health systems all over the world.

One concerning statistic is that America only ranks 17th out of 21 OECD nations  in the effective rate of R&D tax credits.

A big problem is that a lot of these medical innovations aren't making it to the places that need it the most. Sure, we have come up with awesome new knowledge and gadgets. But it only does so much good if it's mostly in the hands of the world's top physicians at the Cleveland Clinic.

While our country's rural health clinics and critical access hospitals have made leaps and bounds in their health care service delivery infrastructure (through EMR and tele-health), they're still light years behind suburban facilities.

And to be honest, people in the burbs don't have nearly the health needs that people in rural and urban areas do.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 01:09:09 PM »

Yeah, there are issues of access based on location, in poor urban areas as well as in rural areas. Still, I would argue those hospitals have better access to the newest innovations than hospitals in other OECD countries.

I agree. The biggest problem in our system is the cost/incentive structure.  Basically everything in our healthcare system is a market failure that makes no sense.  That's the overriding question without a doubt. 

But, I just go back to my original point.  A lot of our spending on so called top-notch care is wasteful spending on things like Nexium and needless procedures which don't make anyone healthier.  Just look at our list of top selling pharmaceuticals:  Many of those drugs just treating the symptoms of over-eating.  Our medical system hasn't figured out how to address the root causes of those conditions, but we spend billions and billions treating the symptoms.  It's not a good system for anyone, but the people profiting off our sickness.

One of the reasons for that is the way we pay for healthcare. By having insurance pay for all of our healthcare needs, we do not realize what the real cost of our medications, doctors visits, labs etc are. Hell, we complain when the insurance companies try to pass on even 10% of the cost. If we were paying for non-acute care out of pocket (with a stop loss provision for those with expensive chronic conditions), we may make wiser choices and drive down the cost of healthcare. Obviously one can't choose what hospital one goes to if they get into an accident or have a stroke, but patients definitely have more choices in the outpatient setting.

That is definitely debatable. Depending on where you live and your access to reliable transportation, you may have just as many outpatient choices as inpatient choices.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies