Windjammer senators vote ratings (foreign scores and activity scores revealed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:44:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Windjammer senators vote ratings (foreign scores and activity scores revealed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Windjammer senators vote ratings (foreign scores and activity scores revealed)  (Read 5042 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2014, 01:11:35 PM »
« edited: July 20, 2014, 11:41:42 AM by VP windjammer »

Well, now I'm elected, I guess it's time to reveal a big project I have in mind: analyzing how our dear senators vote. Globally this: http://www.nationaljournal.com/2013-vote-ratings

This will be simple, I will make 4 scores for each senator:
-Are they active? The first score would just show if they often miss the votes or not. If the senator gets 100% for this score, it would mean that he wouldn't have missed a single vote.
-Economy: I will analyze as well how they vote on economic issues. If the senator gets 100%, it would mean that he always votes like a progressist would vote. If the senator gets 0%. It would mean he would always vote like a fiscal conservative would do.
-Same thing for social issues, and foreign issues!

Have you any questions? Smiley
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 01:13:33 PM »

sounds good, i'm certainly interested in seeing how this turns out.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 01:14:18 PM »

I was thinking of doing something like this, but you beat me to the punch Tongue

How will you define whether a bill is progressive or conservative?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 01:15:59 PM »

I was thinking of doing something like this, but you beat me to the punch Tongue

How will you define whether a bill is progressive or conservative?

Well, by myself Tongue. I mean, if a bill for instance, wants to cut the income tax, I will obviously consider that as a conservative bill Smiley.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 02:25:41 PM »

I like this...
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 04:25:11 PM »

I support this 100% Curly
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 05:34:29 PM »

Are you trying to get me teabagged? Tongue Just kidding! Wink I like this man.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »

Sounds like it could be pretty cool. Will you be doing amendments as well as final votes?
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 10:37:46 PM »

This Economic things looks weird... You can be a progressive and not stupid enough to raise expenditures until the country go Bankrupt...
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 11:40:06 PM »

I would enjoy this.

This Economic things looks weird... You can be a progressive and not stupid enough to raise expenditures until the country go Bankrupt...

Presumably, the goal isn't to be at either extreme (unless you're TNF). Tongue
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 03:30:22 AM »

Sounds like it could be pretty cool. Will you be doing amendments as well as final votes?
Good question! While I believe a final vote is more important than an amendment to a bill, amendments are still useful in order to determinate if the senator is moderate, progressive, conservative for Atlasian standards. Indeed, amendments (to a bill) are often more partisan than the final vote.
So, what I plan to do for that: I give 1 point for an amendment to a bill, and 3 for the final vote! Any suggestion will obviously be welcome Tongue.

Superique, I don't understand the problem. My project won't make any judgement like this: "this senator is a bad senator". I want to analyze how conservative, progressive senators are by Atlasian standards.

I would enjoy this.

Presumably, the goal isn't to be at either extreme (unless you're TNF). Tongue

Thank you all Cheesy.

Are you trying to get me teabagged? Tongue Just kidding! Wink I like this man.

You raise a good point Tongue. I don't plan to only analyze the vote of the senators. I plan to do basically the same project of primary colors: http://primarycolors.net/senate/
How conservative, progressive,..; you are compared with your region.
For instance, a typical Fed from the Mideast will be more socially conservative and less economically moderate than a typical Fed from the South!
And a typical Laborite senator in the Northeast will be less fiscal progressive than a typical Laborite senator in the MW/PA.

This will be much more difficult to do that, but as I love math, I'm ready to try Cheesy.

However, even if I plan to determinate progressive value/conservative value of the senator, like primary color, I won't make however the "should be primaried/good federalist,...". Why? For two reasons:
1) I know I will make mistakes.
2) And openly advocating to primary senators, how to say, they could be quite angry against me, and considering my future position, I prefer to keep good relations with everyone Tongue.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 04:00:13 AM »

With the expection of Spiral, True Con, and maybe Franzl, in my time, most Mideast Senators have generally been populist to some extent (Ben, HappyWarrior, Tmth, HappyWarrior, Ben, TJ, and now DC al Fine somewhat. Did I mention Ben?).
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 04:02:39 AM »

With the expection of Spiral, True Con, and maybe Franzl, in my time, most Mideast Senators have generally been populist to some extent (Ben, HappyWarrior, Tmth, HappyWarrior, Ben, TJ, and now DC al Fine somewhat. Did I mention Ben?).

Yep, that's why I believe a fed from the Mmideast would be more socially conservative and less economically conservative than a fed from the South Tongue.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 04:12:26 AM »

Unless that Fed from the South is a former rust belter from Pennsylvania. Evil
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 01:05:35 PM »

Good question! While I believe a final vote is more important than an amendment to a bill, amendments are still useful in order to determinate if the senator is moderate, progressive, conservative for Atlasian standards. Indeed, amendments (to a bill) are often more partisan than the final vote.
So, what I plan to do for that: I give 1 point for an amendment to a bill, and 3 for the final vote! Any suggestion will obviously be welcome Tongue.

Something to keep in mind, there is the complication of the final vote before and after a presidential redraft.  If you score the redraft vote, it can be hard to determine whether to count it as a vote for the bill itself, or just for redrafting the bill, as these can suggest different ideological positions.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 01:28:34 PM »

Something to keep in mind, there is the complication of the final vote before and after a presidential redraft.  If you score the redraft vote, it can be hard to determine whether to count it as a vote for the bill itself, or just for redrafting the bill, as these can suggest different ideological positions.
Hmmm, you raise a good point.
Since I plan to give 3 points for the final text. If there is a redraft, maybe giving 2 points for the final vote, and 1 point for the redraft vote???
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 09:18:53 PM »

On scoring missing votes, I think some voting period end when a number of votes is reached (like in Atlasian time bill).  Perhaps senators can miss votes because of undetermined voting period.

Vote ratings could be interesting but people need to understand it can be subjective.   
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 09:22:59 PM »

Hmmm, you raise a good point.
Since I plan to give 3 points for the final text. If there is a redraft, maybe giving 2 points for the final vote, and 1 point for the redraft vote???

What I mean is the intent behind a redraft vote itself is very hard to interpret. If I were doing it I would count only the pre-redraft vote.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 09:28:17 PM »

Will hawkish or dovish votes result in a higher foreign policy score?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 02:46:57 AM »

Will hawkish or dovish votes result in a higher foreign policy score?
Not really.
A pure hawkish would get 0%, a pure libertarian on foreign issues would get 100%.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 10:10:25 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I consider this amendment as LIBERTARIAN

On foreign issues:
-TNF, Bore and Tyrion get 1 point
-Lumine, Alfred and NC Yankee get 0 point.
- DC, Goldwater, Griffin and shua have failed to vote in time.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 10:12:26 AM »

Thanks for this.

One thing though, if the senators expressed how they would vote, even if they didn't vote legally like Griffin and shua did, I think it would help get a general idea of where they stand if you included that Smiley
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 10:18:27 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2014, 08:57:25 AM by VP windjammer »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I consider this bill as economically progressive.
On economic issues:
-Alfred gets 0 point
-DC, Shua, Goldwater, Tyrion, Lumine, Yankee, Bore and Yankee get 3 points.
-Griffin and TNF have failed to vote in time.

--------------------------
This is a good idea Bore! But the problem is that it could complicate a bit my calculus Tongue. But I will try to do that!
Thanks!
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 10:55:11 AM »

Since I have the most points, do I win the Senate?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2014, 11:08:07 AM »

This is weird.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to: