Tulsa vs. Oklahoma City
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:46:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Tulsa vs. Oklahoma City
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Where would you rather live?
Tulsa

OKC

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Tulsa vs. Oklahoma City  (Read 3129 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, 05:17:50 PM »

I can't really vote either way.  On one hand, I think Oklahoma City is better, but then I left the OKC job market for the Tulsa job market.  So, either vote I cast would be legitimately questionable.

Modertate Hero to the end.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 06:48:06 PM »

But your a liberal and a Democrat, so it's okay for you to feel that way. Amarite?

Twit.

You are probably too stupid to recognize the hypocrisy of your own remarks, so I'll spell it out for you:  Personal attacks are okay for moderators, amarite?

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 07:02:25 PM »

Personal attacks are okay for moderators, amarite?
That's been obvious for some time now.  I don't know why the non-asshole mods (of which there is more of) don't try and "fix" the problem, but the owner of the place being absent probably doesn't help.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 07:04:01 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2014, 07:15:10 PM by Badger »

But your a liberal and a Democrat, so it's okay for you to feel that way. Amarite?

Twit.

You are probably too stupid to recognize the hypocrisy of your own remarks, so I'll spell it out for you:  Personal attacks are okay for moderators, amarite?

Seriously?

If this were reported to me as a "personal attack", I'd never infract it. Attacking another's arguments, even toughly, hardly qualifies.  It's legitimate political debate to call someone out over ideological inconsistency. I wouldn't call someone "stupid" for failing to notice the obvious difference, but that's just me. So your attempt to raise a double-standard claims falls flat on it's face.

A personal attack is just that: personal. An invective substituting for debate. Like, say, "Twit".

I was tempted just now to modify your post and hand you a point. Not because I'd ever use my mod authority to crack down on someone who disagrees with me, but it does fit the definition (marginally, hence just the one point), and you truly walked into it.

But hey, I'm happy to let it go and let the irony of you attacking a "personal attack" (again, really Angus?) with, of all things, a personal attack just sink in, apparently slowly.

If nothing else, you demonstrated that if there's a twit here, it isn't me.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 07:06:41 PM »

Personal attacks are okay for moderators, amarite?
That's been obvious for some time now.  I don't know why the non-asshole mods (of which there is more of) don't try and "fix" the problem, but the owner of the place being absent probably doesn't help.

The only thing needing "fixed" is not confusing "butthurt" with "personally attacked".

Regarding Memphis's post, how would most people on this forum respond if posted by say, Krazen, or Cassius, or Oldies? It's still just as racist a sentiment regardless of one's avatar color.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2014, 07:08:26 PM »

I'm sure both have at least a few decent neighborhoods, which is far more important than the overall city. My hometown is mostly ghetto wasteland, but it makes no difference to me because I make my home in the 38120, with the college educated white people.

This post explains a lot about you.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2014, 07:13:38 PM »

I'm sure both have at least a few decent neighborhoods, which is far more important than the overall city. My hometown is mostly ghetto wasteland, but it makes no difference to me because I make my home in the 38120, with the college educated white people.

"PERSONAL ATTACK! PERSONAL ATTACK!"

Ever thought of becoming a mod, Nathan? Tongue
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2014, 07:20:11 PM »

The only thing needing "fixed" is not confusing "butthurt" with "personally attacked".
Seriously?  I'll agree your "insult" in this thread isn't all that bad or big of a deal, but are you arguing that there aren't certain mods that REGULARLY insult other posters?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2014, 07:25:02 PM »

"PERSONAL ATTACK! PERSONAL ATTACK!"

Ever thought of becoming a mod, Nathan? Tongue

I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy, with the forum culture we have here.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2014, 07:26:04 PM »

OKC has a basketball team at least. I'm sure I could scrape together a good time there.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2014, 07:30:55 PM »

Just what's so damn offensive about Badger's post that makes it any worse than memphis' routinely bigoted and snide behavior?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2014, 07:33:25 PM »

Seriously?  I'll agree your "insult" in this thread isn't all that bad or big of a deal, but are you arguing that there aren't certain mods that REGULARLY insult other posters?

Let me put it this way: If I get a post reported for profanity, personal attack, trolling, whatevs. I scrupulously treat it the same regardless of whether the target of the complaint is a mod or not. I've infracted and reported posts by fellow mods (both on one particular post yesterday, actually). I can't speak for all mods patterns, but I'm not aware of any "mods over clods" (which is what you Great Unwashed are referred to in the Cave Wink) bias in resolving reports. Bottom line, if a mod steps over the line, report them if you would've done so had they not been a mod. Or better yet, respond to tell them why they're being a choad (my personal preference over infractions for dispute resolution, within reason of course).

That said, if someone wants to accuse me of holding a double-standard for personal attacks, they'd better a) call me out only when I actually make a personal attack (which I clearly didn't), or b) show a pattern of personal attacks which I wouldn't tolerate from other posters (which I don't).

The fact is, I don't suffer foolish statements or fools (present company excepted, Grin). I actually kinda like Memphis, but that was a rather racist sentiment he expressed. Calling people out on stuff like that, even with withering scorn, does NOT equate a "personal attack". Merely an attack. And that's a fundamental part of sitting at the grown-up table of debate and give & take.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2014, 07:35:33 PM »

Just what's so damn offensive about Badger's post that makes it any worse than memphis' routinely bigoted and snide behavior?

Don't mind Angus and Deado: They're feeling snippy after losing their autographed copies of The Fountainhead.

BAH-DUM, CHING!! I'm here all week folks. Cheesy
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2014, 07:48:15 PM »

Let me put it this way: If I get a post reported for profanity, personal attack, trolling, whatevs. I scrupulously treat it the same regardless of whether the target of the complaint is a mod or not. I've infracted and reported posts by fellow mods (both on one particular post yesterday, actually).
I think I know who and what you're talking about.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I believe you and don't consider you to be in the "asshole" group and I agree with calling them out more than reporting them (I've never reported a post).  And that's what I did yesterday that caused one of the assholes in question to post something you had to edit (I'm sure it was classy as always).
I assumed Memphis's post was half tongue in cheek or just a flat out joke (like your above post), but I don't (can't) know.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2014, 07:54:03 PM »

Let me put it this way: If I get a post reported for profanity, personal attack, trolling, whatevs. I scrupulously treat it the same regardless of whether the target of the complaint is a mod or not. I've infracted and reported posts by fellow mods (both on one particular post yesterday, actually).
I think I know who and what you're talking about.
I believe you and don't consider you to be in the "asshole" group and I agree with calling them out more than reporting them (I've never reported a post).  And that's what I did yesterday that caused one of the assholes in question to post something you had to edit (I'm sure it was classy as always).
I assumed Memphis's post was half tongue in cheek or just a flat out joke (like your above post), but I don't (can't) know.

(Too lazy to cut and paste)

1) Now that you mention it, I think you DO know the post I mentioned. Having a front row seat to it, so to speak. Wink And it's cool if you never report. Some posters don't. As I said, lampooning and/or skewering a foolish post is the best response, and best for the Forum long term IMO.

2) "Non-asshole"? "Classy" even?? <Bows> Why sir, you do so flatter me. Grin

3) Well, if Memphis was indeed tongue in cheek, then same on me. Tongue Though IIRC he's gone that direction before previously.......

excelsus
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2014, 08:47:14 PM »

That city that voted for a Democratic presidential candidate after 1936.

One (Tulsa?) hasn't? For reals? Shocked I would've guessed back in the Dixiecrat days they still backed FDR or Truman (whose second-best state against Dewey was OK!).

I was being shocked, too, when I spotted that fact.
However, tbh, Tulsa doesn't belong to Dixie; it's rather Western and shows similar voting patterns as Benton County, the second biggest county of Arkansas.

And yes, Tulsa County didn't support Truman - in contrast to the rest of the state:

LBJ appears to have lost Tulsa County in 64, so presumably you're not referring to OKC.

Erm, I was indeed referring to OKC...
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2014, 12:07:04 AM »

Well, glad you have your priorities straight.
Tell me about the demographics of your neighborhood. At least I'm honest with myself and others about where I live. Just about everybody everywhere clusters around those who are similar to them. It's pretty dumb to put your fingers in your ears and pretend otherwise. And I suspect in my mostly white neighborhood we still have more minorities than anywhere in Ohio minus Cuyahoga County. If you want to go dodge bullets in North Memphis or East Cleveland, you're more than welcome to. I strongly doubt you will.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2014, 01:39:21 AM »

Tulsa has hills and trees, OKC doesn't.  As an adult, I wouldn't want to live there, but as a kid it was perfectly acceptable.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »

That city that voted for a Democratic presidential candidate after 1936.

One (Tulsa?) hasn't? For reals? Shocked I would've guessed back in the Dixiecrat days they still backed FDR or Truman (whose second-best state against Dewey was OK!).

I was being shocked, too, when I spotted that fact.
However, tbh, Tulsa doesn't belong to Dixie; it's rather Western and shows similar voting patterns as Benton County, the second biggest county of Arkansas.

And yes, Tulsa County didn't support Truman - in contrast to the rest of the state:

LBJ appears to have lost Tulsa County in 64, so presumably you're not referring to OKC.

Erm, I was indeed referring to OKC...

I meant the one who HAD voted GOP since after 36. Curse double negatives! Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2014, 02:38:12 PM »

Tell me about the demographics of your neighborhood. At least I'm honest with myself and others about where I live. Just about everybody everywhere clusters around those who are similar to them. It's pretty dumb to put your fingers in your ears and pretend otherwise. And I suspect in my mostly white neighborhood we still have more minorities than anywhere in Ohio minus Cuyahoga County. If you want to go dodge bullets in North Memphis or East Cleveland, you're more than welcome to. I strongly doubt you will.

No, I don't claim to live in the hood. Never have. The difference is I don't automatically corrolate the presence of black as the presence of uneducated trolls as you apparently do.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2014, 03:36:40 PM »

No, I don't claim to live in the hood. Never have. The difference is I don't automatically corrolate the presence of black as the presence of uneducated trolls as you apparently do.
Care to name some predominently black neighborhoods that you would consider living in? Sounds to me like you strongly prefer to live in a white neighborhood also but are in denial about that preference. And then you go on to judge those who share that preference. You're certainly not the only one.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2014, 09:17:27 PM »

OKC has a basketball team at least. I'm sure I could scrape together a good time there.

You could indeed, sir!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2014, 07:20:31 PM »

Care to name some predominently black neighborhoods that you would consider living in? Sounds to me like you strongly prefer to live in a white neighborhood also but are in denial about that preference. And then you go on to judge those who share that preference. You're certainly not the only one.

Probably several in Prince George's or Montgomery Counties, MD. Closer to home, there's neighborhoods in eastern Cuyahoga County like Shaker Heights or University Heights, or parts of Clifton in Cinci. These may not be "predominantly" African-American, or even necessarily majority black. But neither are they the overwhelming Caucasian cocoon your post implies is what you require to feel secure.

FTR, my current school district has had a sharp influx of black students in recent years. It'll probably be about one quarter A-A by the time my sons enter. Although a disappointing number of locals warned about this influx when I moved here in a "the place is going to hell" kinda way, I'm happy my boys will be living in a more diverse upbringing AND will attend one of the continually highest ranked public schools in the state.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2014, 07:25:32 PM »

I live in a minority white neighborhood. So there.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2014, 08:28:31 PM »

A quarter??? That's what passes for a "black" environment in Ohio? And it's not even there yet? What you're describing is a white cocoon. I don't think a single one of the 30 something public high schools in Shelby County is less than a quarter black. Maybe Collierville, but definately none of the others. The majority are >95% black. Ohio is unInksing believable!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies