Opinion: Germany had a legitimate claim on Danzig.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:48:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion: Germany had a legitimate claim on Danzig.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion: Germany had a legitimate claim on Danzig.  (Read 2140 times)
Meursault
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2014, 09:33:58 PM »

It's sort of funny to me that, of all Hitler's landgrabs, it was the most legitimate one that started the War. Course, that claim didn't include all of Poland...
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 09:53:49 PM »

Considering Poland was like 49% Polish at the time, a lot of groups had legitimate claims to make, however that hardly excuses invasion.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 10:10:50 PM »

Objectively speaking, Germany also had a legitimate claim on Austria (most Austrians would still probably still have voted for Anschluss in a free and fair plebiscite), Sudetenland, and Memel.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 10:21:08 PM »

Objectively speaking, Germany also had a legitimate claim on Austria (most Austrians would still probably still have voted for Anschluss in a free and fair plebiscite), Sudetenland, and Memel.

I think a lot would vote for that, but I doubt a majority would.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 10:25:24 PM »

I think a lot would vote for that, but I doubt a majority would.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anschluss#Timeline_after_World_War_I

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 04:02:30 AM »

lol
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 04:37:29 AM »

If pro-Palestine activists and their allies can also start advocating for the reunification of Danzig and Territories in the East that were forcibly taken from Germany after 1945, it will make me very happy.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 10:24:35 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2014, 10:59:14 AM by MOP »

IMO, returning the Polish-Prussian border to the lines that it exhibited at the height of the Duchy of Warsaw would have been the most logical course of action following World War I.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 10:44:42 AM »

oh good lord
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 11:17:28 AM »

In 1939? Germany had signed the Versailles Treaty, so no. Anyways Danzig did not cause the German attack on Poland in any way or form whatsoever - and they were governing Danzig already, and had banned all other parties except the Polish minority organization. (Poland's and the League's letting that happen were violations of the Versailles Treaty, of course.)

In 1919? Yes, I suppose so.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 11:54:18 AM »

Considering Poland was like 49% Polish at the time, a lot of groups had legitimate claims to make, however that hardly excuses invasion.

Actually, here are numbers per 1931 census:

Polish: 68.9%
Ukrainian: 13.9%
Jewish: 10%
Belarusian: 3.1%
German: 2.3%
Others (including Lithuanians): 2.8%
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 03:12:10 PM »

While Danzig was ethnically German, Poland needed a free port early on before they constructed Gdynia to have access to the sea. The problem was that most German parties wanted the entire corridor, and with that they could turn Poland into an economic colony.
It's complicated.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 06:06:05 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2014, 06:09:21 PM by The Mikado »

The German government specifically signed away its claims on the West Prussian regions lost in the First World War, so no, they didn't unless you somehow think that the government that signed the Versailles Treaty wasn't legitimate (the SPD regime was totally legitimate by right of revolution...the overthrow of the Kaiser in the days leading up to the end of the war was an established fact).  It bears pointing out that even Ludendorff, the politician of the Old Order most associated with the cause of revision of the Treaty, didn't lay into the treaty's territorial concessions until well after the war.

EDIT: Also worth pointing out that Germany's 1919 borders were still far more generous than (West) Germany's 1948 or Germany's 1991 borders.  Sometimes the cause of revising the treaty like Hitler advanced can eventually result in a revision even more contrary to your liking...
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »

Did Germany have a legitimate claim to Danzig, Sudetenland and Austria? By any standard of the will of the people, national determination and those other thing people held holy at the time; Yes.

By the standard of modern international legal practices; Maybe (Danzig), No (Sudetenland) and Yes (Austria).

Of course the biggest reason all this does not matter, is because Germany lost the War and the winner decides what's right and wrong.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 02:41:53 PM »

Actually, here are numbers per 1931 census:

Polish: 68.9%
Ukrainian: 13.9%
Jewish: 10%
Belarusian: 3.1%
German: 2.3%
Others (including Lithuanians): 2.8%
Hmm what I read before showed slightly under half Polish.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 04:21:10 PM »

In 1939? Germany had signed the Versailles Treaty, so no. Anyways Danzig did not cause the German attack on Poland in any way or form whatsoever - and they were governing Danzig already, and had banned all other parties except the Polish minority organization. (Poland's and the League's letting that happen were violations of the Versailles Treaty, of course.)

That hardly counts.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2014, 11:40:14 AM »

That hardly counts.

Well, the German people had overthrown the Kaiser and demanded an immediate end of the war, and the German military leaders signed an armistice while agreeing to follow the eventual peace treaty, and then Ebert's government signed the Versailles Treaty six months later.  I'm not sure what's so out of order about the process here.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies