PA: Pacific Transport Privatization Act of 2014 (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:19:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  PA: Pacific Transport Privatization Act of 2014 (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PA: Pacific Transport Privatization Act of 2014 (Passed)  (Read 1268 times)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2014, 06:57:29 AM »
« edited: June 27, 2014, 06:52:57 AM by PA Speaker Cranberry »

Devin asked me to open this, so here we are:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Devin
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 08:01:22 AM »

I searched the wiki if there was any old legislation already dealing with the topic, but no. As I see it, we're kind of tapping in the blind, as we have no idea how much of the railway service is in public hand, how much in private; we have no idea how much of the railway lines are publicy operated and how much are privately operated. Therefore I'd propose the following - we let the Pacific government purchase every railway line in the country, set up some rules regarding how the private operators must operate there private transportation services and then sell our public transportation service. We will maintain the infrastructure with the money the private companies pay us to operate their railway system on our lines?
Therefore, I porpose the following amendment:

Quote from: Restricted
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 08:43:48 AM »

I searched the wiki if there was any old legislation already dealing with the topic, but no. As I see it, we're kind of tapping in the blind, as we have no idea how much of the railway service is in public hand, how much in private; we have no idea how much of the railway lines are publicy operated and how much are privately operated. Therefore I'd propose the following - we let the Pacific government purchase every railway line in the country, set up some rules regarding how the private operators must operate there private transportation services and then sell our public transportation service. We will maintain the infrastructure with the money the private companies pay us to operate their railway system on our lines?
Therefore, I porpose the following amendment:

Amendment is hostile. I assume it would be like the railway in real life. Freight is owned by private, while transportation is all owned by the public. It is a waste of money to buy out every single thing. Also I will not budge on there being a limit on the maximum price at auction. I would like to create a minimum price to, to prevent FDR style cronyism.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 08:56:14 AM »

No I don't think you understand what's aimed with this bill - the government just owns the railway lines, not the trains operating on them. Passanger carrying is private here. I thought that came clear...
If you insist, I'd be okay with maximum price... I find somehow funny coming from you though, if I may say so, because that doesn't seem free market to me at all...
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 07:58:26 PM »

No I don't think you understand what's aimed with this bill - the government just owns the railway lines, not the trains operating on them. Passanger carrying is private here. I thought that came clear...
If you insist, I'd be okay with maximum price... I find somehow funny coming from you though, if I may say so, because that doesn't seem free market to me at all...
Alright sorry, I remove my objection. The only reason I am in favor of a maximum and minimum price is so someone can't pull an FDR, and make companies that oppose him pay out the nose, but let companies that support him buy out for a fraction of the cost.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 12:11:27 AM »

Okay. I thought you'd be in favour of this. (I find it quite funny that I support a privatisation measure Tongue)
Oh well - I just realised I forgot something. I wanted to add a clause that the new prices for fees of the new private operators may not exceed the average price for a fee in that area by 120%. Are you okay with this? Then I'd be okay with the max min price Tongue
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 04:40:54 AM »

Okay. I thought you'd be in favour of this. (I find it quite funny that I support a privatisation measure Tongue)
Oh well - I just realised I forgot something. I wanted to add a clause that the new prices for fees of the new private operators may not exceed the average price for a fee in that area by 120%. Are you okay with this? Then I'd be okay with the max min price Tongue
Sounds good. Who says the left and the right can't compromise?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 12:23:34 PM »

Great. I'll update to the current state of the bill then.
I think this bill perfectly proves them who think that way wrong.
[/quote]
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 11:02:32 PM »

I don't think it's a very wise idea for us to sell our infrastructure Tongue
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 11:15:16 PM »

Why not? As someone who as rode both public, and private rail I can tell you the latter works better. Plus we will put regulations in place to keep people from getting gouged.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 07:28:18 AM »

We wouldn't be selling our infrastructure - we would sell our trains to private companies, but keep the lines
The companies have to pay a rent for the lines, and 10% of their profits made through the train business! for us to maintain them - that saves us money and gives the customers the service quality they need (plus prices may not rise too high!)
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 03:27:24 PM »

We wouldn't be selling our infrastructure - we would sell our trains to private companies, but keep the lines
The companies have to pay a rent for the lines, and 10% of their profits made through the train business! for us to maintain them - that saves us money and gives the customers the service quality they need (plus prices may not rise too high!)
So can we open a final vote?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 10:30:01 PM »

Why not? As someone who as rode both public, and private rail I can tell you the latter works better. Plus we will put regulations in place to keep people from getting gouged.

I could see myself supporting this. I'm fine with voting now Tongue
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 12:20:21 AM »

Well then:

This is a final vote:

Councillors, you have 48 hours to vote aye / nay / abstain.

(finally a vote again where we can everyone expect to vote Tongue)
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 12:48:17 AM »

Aye
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 02:49:36 AM »

Aye
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 05:48:06 AM »

Aye
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 06:52:40 AM »

The bill passed with 3 votes in the affirmative.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 06:55:34 AM »

x Acting Governor TheCranberry

(Just to let you know, I sign this as Acting Governor, an office I ascended to after DemPGH's resign and until the swearing in of the new governor, as outlined somewhere in our constitution (consult the wiki for it Smiley)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies