I'm 30 years old and there's a Taking Back Sunday CD in my car's CD player
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 08:09:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I'm 30 years old and there's a Taking Back Sunday CD in my car's CD player
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: I'm 30 years old and there's a Taking Back Sunday CD in my car's CD player  (Read 2787 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »

Discuss.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 05:17:01 PM »

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that your age is about twice what the maturity of your posts would indicate.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 05:20:41 PM »

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/taking-back-sunday-best-buy-theater-review-new-york-city-1
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »

Do you want a medal or something?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 05:42:23 PM »

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that your age is about twice what the maturity of your posts would indicate.

That was my most played album hands down of my senior year of high school, so still over 15. And it's held up quite well. There's no bad tracks, if I ever skip one it's just because I know the next one is better. And it's like instant nostalgia. Listening to it makes it feel like it really is 2001-02 again.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 06:18:34 PM »

Do you get off on this?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 07:07:42 PM »

So are you like that old hippie who likes to think he's still young by listening to music back from when he wasn't aged and decrepit? Better watch out; eat healthy and exercise regularly so you can keep that youthful zeal that you seem to cling to so desperately.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 07:32:57 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWkxvIaKsFU
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 07:50:27 PM »

I'm 41, father of an adult, hold an impressive security clearance and I wear Tshirts with writing on them.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 07:52:51 PM »

So? My Dad still listens to the same music he listened to as a teenager. Things only go "out of style" if you care more about what other people think of you for listening to it than for your view of the music itself.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »

So? My Dad still listens to the same music he listened to as a teenager. Things only go "out of style" if you care more about what other people think of you for listening to it than for your view of the music itself.
Indeed.  I still listen to things I was listening to when I was 14....thank Og I've always listened to good music.  I thank my sister and friends (and their older brothers) for that.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 08:10:14 PM »

Violation of half-plus-seven.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 08:36:35 PM »

Getting old sucks.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 03:32:20 AM »

That was my most played album hands down of my senior year of high school, so still over 15. And it's held up quite well. There's no bad tracks, if I ever skip one it's just because I know the next one is better. And it's like instant nostalgia. Listening to it makes it feel like it really is 2001-02 again.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 04:28:09 PM »

There are probably more Taking Back Sunday fans in the 25-35 age range than below it. Music is changing, and, like most people who have passed their early twenties, you have not.

This might be true, but those lyrics are on the first record are still rather embarrassing for anyone over legal drinking age to be listening to.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 04:42:12 PM »

Believe me, I know. I've seen them perform.

Nice! I actually never have. I probably won't unless they do one of those "old stuff only" type tours. But actually yeah Boris' link summarizes a lot of this pretty well.

Actually, I think there's a lot of misunderstanding about this stuff. Things like playing Ingress and going to shows and moshing around while drunk are FAR more common to be done by 30 year olds than 15 year olds.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 01:37:03 PM »

You're as badass as a 50 year old with a Styx CD. Congrats.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 09:55:33 PM »

Taking Back Sunday is terrible but there are a few of their peer bands that are pretty decent (Say Anything, Brand New and Thursday). I'm surprised that Pitchfork hasn't revisited them in a favorable light considering that emo has had a massive comeback over the past few years and has been well received by a generation that hates the twee indie of Zoey Deschanel and Apple commercials.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 10:05:39 PM »

Taking Back Sunday is terrible but there are a few of their peer bands that are pretty decent (Say Anything, Brand New and Thursday). I'm surprised that Pitchfork hasn't revisited them in a favorable light considering that emo has had a massive comeback over the past few years and has been well received by a generation that hates the twee indie of Zoey Deschanel and Apple commercials.
i mostly agree with you but i haven't really noticed this? idk
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 10:11:33 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2014, 10:15:53 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

i mostly agree with you but i haven't really noticed this? idk

It's contained amongst so-called hipsters. Obviously, the hipster subculture is dead but its permutations live on and one of those permutations has a reverence for emo-influenced music or emo, whether it is new or old. (this might just be amongst my weird bubble within a bubble within a bubble circle of friends tho)

Here is an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HuwcOZfNLY

I used to love this style of music so its rebirth perplexes me.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 11:14:30 PM »

That's just fourth/fifth-generation of that style which has always been around recently in bands like Empire! Empire! (I Was a Lonely Estate), Snowing, My Heart To Joy, Brave Bird, Joie De Vivre, etc.

And none of those sound anything like Taking Back Sunday.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 11:19:30 PM »

Also TBS is playing in St. Paul in September and Boris' link encouraged me to actually go.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 01:16:13 AM »
« Edited: June 28, 2014, 01:18:28 AM by Paul Kemp »

It's worth nothing that Brand New has evolved considerably, for better or worse.

I'm seeing them for the first time in 10+ years in August, with Modest Mouse (who I'm way more excited about seeing). I saw Brand New twice right after they released Your Favorite Weapon. Haven't seen them since - it'll be like a completely different band, I imagine.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 01:20:56 AM »

I am more perplexed by the fact that you have a CD in your car's CD player in the year 2014.

I still listen to music I loved when I was a teenager, but it's all on a micro SD card in my phone.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 06:51:03 AM »

Actually, I think there's a lot of misunderstanding about this stuff. Things like playing Ingress and going to shows and moshing around while drunk are FAR more common to be done by 30 year olds than 15 year olds.
Oh aye. Kids can't take much. And no one had told me of the Kassierer yet.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies