Opinion of Maximilien Robespierre
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:11:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Maximilien Robespierre
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Opinion of Maximilien Robespierre  (Read 2430 times)
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2014, 06:17:26 PM »

Mega-FF, obviously, and it's quite a shame the history books (written by a combination of the reactionary right and spineless peacenik liberals who cower at the sight of blood) have dirtied his reputation over the centuries.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 06:19:01 PM »

Are you trying to parody me?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 06:19:08 PM »

You're trying way too hard.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 06:26:08 PM »

Indeed.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2014, 08:24:51 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

Tune in next week for Phwezer's imitation of Maxwell, where he will portray one of Atlas's leading Libertarians.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 08:45:27 PM »

HP, one of the worst.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 01:32:14 AM »

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 09:35:24 AM »

One of the greatest. FF.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 10:38:45 AM »

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 11:11:06 AM »

Why do Americans seem to be obsessed with the French Revolution???
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 11:12:02 AM »

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 12:34:33 PM »

Butcher.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 12:48:49 PM »

As for my actual opinion of Robespierre, he was well-meaning but utterly, dreadfully inept at politics. He was basically brainwashed by Rousseau's thought, to the extent that he developed outlandish notions of how the world should be. And when people obviously failed to conform to these notions, he was completely lost. As I said once, he was basically the original True Leftist.

To be honest I wouldn't have minded the Reign of Terror, if it was actually carried out in a way that could help cement the Revolution and destroy the reactionary forces. In fact, the guy who actually created the Revolutionary Tribunal, Danton, is a personal hero of mine. But the fact is that what Robespierre achieved was the exact opposite of that, and by the time he was kicked out of power due to the fact he had basically alienated everybody, France experienced a conservative backlash that would last for about 30 years.

Anyone who has any basic notion of French history will tell you Robespierre was a moron and a failure.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 12:57:09 PM »

As for my actual opinion of Robespierre, he was well-meaning but utterly, dreadfully inept at politics. He was basically brainwashed by Rousseau's thought, to the extent that he developed outlandish notions of how the world should be. And when people obviously failed to conform to these notions, he was completely lost. As I said once, he was basically the original True Leftist.

To be honest I wouldn't have minded the Reign of Terror, if it was actually carried out in a way that could help cement the Revolution and destroy the reactionary forces. In fact, the guy who actually created the Revolutionary Tribunal, Danton, is a personal hero of mine. But the fact is that what Robespierre achieved was the exact opposite of that, and by the time he was kicked out of power due to the fact he had basically alienated everybody, France experienced a conservative backlash that would last for about 30 years.

Anyone who has any basic notion of French history will tell you Robespierre was a moron and a failure.
QFT
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 01:51:33 PM »

Windjammer, it is easily one of the most interesting periods in European history. Regardless of what you think about the overall aims/tactics used, it's simply a fascinating event through and through.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 02:48:02 PM »

As I said once, he was basically the original True Leftist.

Not heard of the Taborites?
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 06:44:47 AM »

If religious people count as "truly leftist", the Waldensians and Cathars were earlier. ;-)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 03:07:04 PM »

Massive HP (sane).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 03:10:34 PM »

Actually, no. -_-

Of course, I should have known that calling someone "the original [whatever]" would in all likelihood be a mistake due to my lack of knowledge. Sorry about that.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 10:22:28 PM »

Maybe because of how bizarre it was and what a massive up it turned out to be??  Haha.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 09:49:51 AM »
« Edited: June 28, 2014, 09:57:25 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Because it is the first example to occur to demonstrate what could have easily happened in America had it not had such leaders as Washington, Adams, Franklin etc to help steer a moderate course.

The French Revolution helped to define the first party system and created the initial divide between Conservatives and Liberals (Classical Liberals) that lasted for at least a century, and elements of which still persist to this day. Part of the reason for that is it fit neatly into the context of adoption of the Constitution and what had motivated it (excess of democracy or tyranny of the mob).

Commercial Elites were scared to death of the wild men on the frontier, augmented by immigrants, and feared that the country would descend into mob rule and wanted a strong central gov't with a big military and Navy to protect them and soceity from upheaval. They were elitists who disdained immigrants and the common man, opposed liberalizing the franchise, wanted a standing Army and a Navy, and were pro-British against Revolutionary France and became known as the Federalists.

The masses loathed the elites and saw in them the seeds of Aristocratic and even monarchical rule and found the greatest threat to freedom in the centralization of power. They were generally pro-immigrant, opposed a standing Army and were pro-Revolutionary France. They became the Democratic-Republicans under Jefferson.

To the former group, Revolutionary France was what America would have looked like absent the new Constitution and had the people turned on each other in the chaos following the American Revolution. They saw it as a vindication and endorsement for their side of things as well.

Modern Conservatism also owes its existance to the writings of Edmund Burke in a book titled "Reflections on the French Revolution...".  The basic tenet of a Conservatism that embraces freedom and democracy is that when such goes too far, it is counterproductive and the end result is tyranny of no government followed by the tyranny of a savior riding in on horse or just taking advantage of the chaos to seize power. Revolutionary and Napoleonic France is the perfect case study of this in action. Russia in 1917 and Weimar Germany are more modern examples.  

Some light and easy reading on the matter:
http://www.thegreenpapers.com/PCom/?20120213-0

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Scroll down on this page to find the other parts:
http://www.thegreenpapers.com/PCom/
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 10:15:24 AM »

The problem is that, Americans, like French, believe in a false interpretation of the French Revolution. So this is always something that saddens me when I read threads about the French Revolution on this board.

I hope that the next centuries will finally reveal what really was the French Revolution, a bourgeois revolution.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 10:35:38 AM »

The problem is that, Americans, like French, believe in a false interpretation of the French Revolution. So this is always something that saddens me when I read threads about the French Revolution on this board.

I hope that the next centuries will finally reveal what really was the French Revolution, a bourgeois revolution.

Whether it is a bourgeois revolution or not is beside the point in this consideration, though. What matters in this context is that the revolution went so far as to effectively eat itself leading to a strong man seizing power at the end.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 11:23:56 AM »

Of course it was a bourgeois revolution. No one really disputes that.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 11:29:58 AM »

Of course it was a bourgeois revolution. No one really disputes that.

Um...highly recommend you read...pretty much anything by François Furet.  Or Lynn Hunt's Politics, Culture, and Class in the French Revolution.  The phrase bourgeois revolution itself has been seriously questioned over the last thirty years, but especially in the case of the French Revolution, where so many of the leading participants were not from any sort of commercial background at all.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies