Cabinet (RG, SoFE, SoEA, SoIA, Cr. Mgr., A.G. & Dep. A.G., and G.M.)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:57:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Cabinet (RG, SoFE, SoEA, SoIA, Cr. Mgr., A.G. & Dep. A.G., and G.M.)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Cabinet (RG, SoFE, SoEA, SoIA, Cr. Mgr., A.G. & Dep. A.G., and G.M.)  (Read 2952 times)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2014, 06:17:57 PM »
« edited: July 03, 2014, 04:09:03 PM by DemPGH, Pres.-elect »

Call for Cabinet Applications

It's that time! We would now like to solicit applications for cabinet posts. I'm pleased to report that we are already receiving letters of interest, so if anything catches your eye, please let me or V.P.-elect Windjammer know, and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

We will take applications through Friday or until filled. Successful candidates will be 1) active and 2) possess goals somewhat or closely compatible with those of the administration. That's it! Just want to do the job. I hope it's more competitive than that, but we shall see! No Ph.D. required. Tongue

Official

Attorney General (A.G.)
Game Moderator / Manager (G.M.)
Registrar General (R.G.)
Secretary of Federal Elections (SoFE)
Secretary of External Affairs (SoEA)
Secretary of Internal Affairs (SoIA)

I am quite happy to announce that both Fritz (R.G.) and Homelycooking (SoFE) of Forum Affairs will return in their respective roles. I am close to tapping an External Affairs Secretary.

Pacific

Pacific Crisis Manager

I plan to appoint a Pacific Crisis Manager, but will adjust or clarify the duties of this post. How to approach the activity problems of the Pacific or possibly bring about a merger will be a goal of my administration.  

Unofficial Optional

Military Affairs
Press Secretary

These kinds of things don't normally work, but they are totally unofficial and a few people mentioned doing something along these lines. If someone wants to participate, I'm happy to have them!

So let's get going - we need an active cabinet.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 06:21:51 PM »

Would the Press Secretary just make statements and take questions on behalf of the administration? Or would you develop the role further?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 06:31:46 PM »

Would the Press Secretary just make statements and take questions on behalf of the administration? Or would you develop the role further?

That, or present updates to the public on what all is going on in the Senate and how big issues are progressing, as with the Pacific. I would want it to be as objective as possible. We'll see, we may not do it. It was an idea that came up along the campaign trail.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 06:53:53 PM »

Just curious, Mr. President-Elect, will you revive the position of Global Treaty Organization ambassador?
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 09:19:42 PM »

I can still be SoEA, but that really depends. I would love to see someone becoming SoIA, it's an important post as well...
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 09:22:04 PM »

Just curious, Mr. President-Elect, will you revive the position of Global Treaty Organization ambassador?

Maybe GTO Ambassador and Military Affairs get worked into the same person?

Also, do we have a definition of the Military Affairs position?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 10:03:23 PM »

Okay, unless anyone has anything really groundbreaking, I'm probably good on GM. We can kind of close that one.

The GTO I need to look into more fully - it came up as something a long ago President started, but it was during the thick of campaigning, and I only glossed over it. I'm open to the idea.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 12:03:02 AM »

I had an unofficial Ambassador and briefly a press secretary, so seeing that return would be fun, especially since we have more participants than open offices right now.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 01:24:35 AM »

I had both a chief of staff and press secretary early into my first term, but I never really found a way to make that work. It seemed like sending PMs to another person to issue a statement was just unnecessary so it fell through.

But if you can make it work, I'll be impressed!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 01:31:07 AM »

I had both a chief of staff and press secretary early into my first term, but I never really found a way to make that work. It seemed like sending PMs to another person to issue a statement was just unnecessary so it fell through.

Well having an actual press was a problem during my administration. i don't think there was a single legitimate source of news out there.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 10:17:12 AM »

Well, the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary of External Affairs strangely merged. The Military Affairs Deputy Secretary would probably look a bit like a Secretary of Defense.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 11:30:30 AM »

Well having an actual press was a problem during my administration. i don't think there was a single legitimate source of news out there.

That's been an unfortunate problem until very recently. Newspapers are one of the most criminally overlooked sources of activity in the game. A Press Secretary sounds like an interesting idea.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 11:41:05 AM »

That's been an unfortunate problem until very recently. Newspapers are one of the most criminally overlooked sources of activity in the game. A Press Secretary sounds like an interesting idea.

Yes, if only they were around back in October. I'd like to think that would have given HappyWarrior and Rowan an incentive to stick around to deal with them. Tongue
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 12:18:37 PM »

Well, the Secretary of Defense and the Secretary of External Affairs strangely merged. The Military Affairs Deputy Secretary would probably look a bit like a Secretary of Defense.

I believe that would require a modification of the Executive Branch Reorganization Act.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 12:20:17 PM »

I believe that would require a modification of the Executive Branch Reorganization Act.
I don't think so.
The next Secretary of External Affairs has definitely the right to give some of his prerogatives to one of his deputy chief secretary.

I mean, Sjoce, Superique didn't give you some work during his tenure as SoEA???
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »

I don't think so.
The next Secretary of External Affairs has definitely the right to give some of his prerogatives to one of his deputy chief secretary.

I mean, Sjoce, Superique didn't give you some work during his tenure as SoEA???

Yeah, the SoEA can appoint deputies, it just depends on what you want this new position to be, whether it's a deputy of the SoEA in charge of DoD/VA stuff or whether it removes the SoEA's authority over military affairs entirely - whether it's a deputy or an equal.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 12:29:39 PM »

As GM I plan to open a thread with news articles offering opinions on events from a variety of viewpoints, so, for example, I might have a Wall Street Journal op-ed one day and a "Daily Worker" editorial the next. And general "news analysis" to give a more in-depth view of events.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 02:39:15 PM »

The SOEA/SOIA are both set up in a way that conflicts with their dual roles. One cannot be a player and a narrator. The two most be separate. Its like a soccer player also being the referee.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 03:29:25 PM »

Yeah, military affairs or veterans affairs would be a deputy. I can't create a department.

The SOEA/SOIA are both set up in a way that conflicts with their dual roles. One cannot be a player and a narrator. The two most be separate. Its like a soccer player also being the referee.

VIII.2 of the Constitution establishes it as such, though! To remove one or change them and so forth would require VIII.2 to be amended.

This is why I would like the G.M. to be more advisory than someone handing down decrees from on high. What if the GM says the Moon is made out of green cheese, ha? Tongue You know?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 03:35:14 PM »

Mr President-Elect, I do not wish to cause problems, but I would intend to fulfill my office's constitutionally-enshrined role. If were to do something so ludicrous, the Senate could remove me and appoint someone more sensible. Smiley
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 03:39:49 PM »

^^^This is one of the biggest reforms I'd like to see to the position. My experience in the position consisted a lot of creating problems and then coming up with solutions to my own challenges. The Secretaries either need to take on a role in solving the challenges created by a GM, or they need to function solely as moderators and let the Senate or executive deal with the challenges they create, but they can't be the ones solving their own problems. Seeing that the position had amounted to knocking down my own dominoes is one of the reasons I returned to the Legislature. I would support amending VIII.2.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 04:03:54 PM »

ITT: people catching up to what I was saying back in 2011
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 05:14:44 PM »

Yeah, military affairs or veterans affairs would be a deputy. I can't create a department.

VIII.2 of the Constitution establishes it as such, though! To remove one or change them and so forth would require VIII.2 to be amended.

This is why I would like the G.M. to be more advisory than someone handing down decrees from on high. What if the GM says the Moon is made out of green cheese, ha? Tongue You know?

It does, and we can change it. It's not like the Senate isn't used to making amendments.

The GM needs to be both an advisory and active narrator. The GM should guide and narrate the game, while actively responding to requests on how policy affects the game. Remember, if we have no measure on how policy actually affects the game, then we're just having elections and throwing out/color coding buzzwords.

SJoyce, is correct too. Thats why I proposed a separate Game Engine Team whose sole focus is gameplay -- moving the game along. Variations[/b] of the SOIA and SOEA would be on this team, in a solely narrative role. Meanwhile, the President could, at his discretion, make fake little political positions for whoever wants to post about their interactions in the foreign affairs policy arena, etc.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 05:10:06 AM »

I'm open to be the Pacific Crisis Manager by the way....
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 09:53:46 AM »

Dear Friends,

I was delighted to learn of Averroës Nix's interest in serving as External Affairs Secretary. He is not only a confidante and a friend since really the beginning, he is obviously focused, capable, and smart. We also share very similar views on foreign policy, so I am happy to nominate him to head this important department!

Also,
I only have one person interested in A.G., and he cannot as yet edit the Wiki. Honestly, A.G. is not that demanding. Some days there won't be anything to do, other days maybe a few minutes to put a statute or two in the Wiki. Put in a pair of earbuds, listen to a couple songs, and by that time you're done. Litigation is tougher because you have to put together an argument and you're never sure how the Court will rule, but we don't have a whole lot of litigation.

The big thing we can't do is let the Wiki fall behind - if it's kept up to date, it's easy to keep up to date.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies