Opinion of Madalyn Murray O'Hair
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:00:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Madalyn Murray O'Hair
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Opinion of Madalyn Murray O'Hair  (Read 2124 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2014, 02:16:53 AM »

The embodiment of virtually all the bad tendencies in modern atheism (except for perhaps Objectivism/Rothbardian libertarianism).
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 04:51:47 AM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Seems like a swell gal Roll Eyes
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 06:45:33 AM »

HP, but I actually feel sorry for her. She seemed very bitter, and I would never wish that attribute on anyone.

I suppose people can (and should) form their view of her for themselves instead of relying on the opinions of other people. Here is a video of her debate with a pastor from the "Phil Donahue Show".
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 08:48:55 AM »

Some people are they way they are. Her son (the one that wasn't murdered alongside her) who became a Christian is basically the same person, except working for a different team.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 06:11:20 PM »

One of the biggest HPs in American history.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 07:27:42 PM »

m'adalyn m'urray is m'waifu
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 08:23:58 PM »

Some people are they way they are. Her son (the one that wasn't murdered alongside her) who became a Christian is basically the same person, except working for a different team.

Actually this article prompted me to start this thread: http://www.wnd.com/2014/06/full-circle-the-russian-embassy-and-my-marxist-mom/
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 06:24:04 PM »

Definitely a freedom fighter. She helped get Bible reading and forced sectarian prayer out of public schools and founded American Atheists which protects the civil rights of atheists.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 06:33:59 PM »

The biggest b*tch in the universe. I have to agree with Never on this one-like Ayn Rand (who I am of course somewhat of a fan of), she just was a very bitter and angry person and you end up feeling sad for her.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 06:39:07 PM »

Is there a group more hated and mistreated than atheists?
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 06:55:24 PM »

In America, I don't know if we can say that any group is presently mistreated harshly for their religious faith. I could be wrong, but my observation is that there is not much pushback for religious decisions in this nation.

Globally, I'd say that Christians in places like Muslim-dominated countries are treated much worse than atheists here in the U.S.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 06:56:45 PM »

Lots.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 10:35:36 AM »

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 11:42:43 AM »

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Weird, I was watching "Nixon" last night after I posted that. I don't hate atheists at all. Judging from my own personal life, I am surprised I have not lost my faith. But Atheists are simply not the most mistreated people on earth. Misunderstood? Perhaps. But not mistreated.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 11:53:21 AM »

Weird, I was watching "Nixon" last night after I posted that. I don't hate atheists at all. Judging from my own personal life, I am surprised I have not lost my faith. But Atheists are simply not the most mistreated people on earth. Misunderstood? Perhaps. But not mistreated.

This was perhaps Nixon's greatest statements. Of course, my post was not in response to yours, but to the hatred shown here to O'Hair. She is an icon for many atheists and a freedom fighter for human rights. The rights of atheists are just as valid as human rights for any group. Because of it's tax exempt status religion is given special status. Why does it deserve that? Why is it considered intolerant to criticize religion? It is no worse than criticizing a political philosophy.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2014, 11:58:08 AM »

Also her controversial statements were more directed to Jerry Falwell types than to religion in general. It is true that she did make strong sweeping generalizations against all religion, but I
think it was Christianity that turned her off the most and Christianity does have a very ugly
history of persecuting non believers (and heretics such as Servetus); the smallest most
innocuous error could get you burned at the stake. Just think of all the hatred between
Catholics and Protestants over the last 500 years. There was even a lot of animosity between
East and West before the Reformation.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2014, 12:00:32 PM »

"Let me tell you something, Mark. You humans, most of you, subscribe to this policy of an eye for an eye, a life for a life, which is known throughout the universe for its... stupidity. Even your Buddha and your Christ had quite a different vision, but nobody's paid much attention to them, not even the Buddhists or the Christians. You humans. Sometimes its hard to imagine how you've made it this far."

from K-Pax, one of my favorite movies
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 02:57:02 PM »

This was perhaps Nixon's greatest statements. Of course, my post was not in response to yours, but to the hatred shown here to O'Hair. She is an icon for many atheists and a freedom fighter for human rights. The rights of atheists are just as valid as human rights for any group. Because of it's tax exempt status religion is given special status. Why does it deserve that? Why is it considered intolerant to criticize religion? It is no worse than criticizing a political philosophy.
You have a fair point that Atheists don't enjoy the same benefits that Churches do, but what would happen if these privileges are abolished? Should people living below the poverty line lose their tax status because an atheist who is in a higher tax bracket also doesn't enjoy that status? It just seems like a slippery slope.

School prayer shouldn't be mandatory and the teacher (a paid employee of the state) shouldn't lead it. But religious students-Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or Hindu, what about their rights? What about their rights, which O'Hair took away from them.

Atheists are of course worthy of human rights, but people like O'Hair wanted to spread Atheism like it was a religion itself and not a personal choice/belief. O'Hair's comments about her own son show that she clearly was not against the Jerry Falwell types as much as she was against religion in general.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 03:01:53 PM »

O'Hair's comments about her own son show that she clearly was not against the Jerry Falwell types as much as she was against religion in general.

You do realise her son is worse than she is right?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 03:08:40 PM »

O'Hair's comments about her own son show that she clearly was not against the Jerry Falwell types as much as she was against religion in general.

I did not. But seeing how bitter she was, it can only be expected.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »

I did not. But seeing how bitter she was, it can only be expected.

Given that his mother and brother were murdered, it's a bit unfair that they can't defend themselves from him with each new article he publishes. He also has a bizarre obession with gay people 'laughing' at him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies