Offices of the Save The Pacific Project - Progress Report and an Announcement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:32:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Offices of the Save The Pacific Project - Progress Report and an Announcement
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Offices of the Save The Pacific Project - Progress Report and an Announcement  (Read 366 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2014, 12:07:27 PM »

Good afternoon everyone. Smiley

Nearly six months ago, President Duke appointed me as the director of his administration's Save the Pacific Project, tasked with assisting the regional government in the recovery process, working to pass a functioning Constitution, and to provide advice and oversight with regards to economic stimulus funds.

Working with the Governor and the Council, we have made truly significant progress. There were times, particularly at the lowest point of the crisis, when the relationship between the administration and the regional government became strained, and much of that is down to a lapse in communication, which I and the President both deeply regret. But I'm happy to say that we put the brief rocky period behind us and built a strong and friendly working relationship with both the Governor - DemPGH, and, before him, PJ - and the dedicated members of the Council. The initial trepidation I think many of us felt when this project was established soon faded away as we cooperated and consulted on legislation, budget programs and stimulus distribution.

The Pacific's journey is not over yet - we still have a long way to go. But the road we've travelled is by any standards impressive. Unemployment, at near-depression levels when I and, shortly after, Governor DemPGH, assumed office, has been halved - from a peak of over 20% to 11%. It is still too high, but we've made real and sustainable progress that we can build upon in the future. Business confidence is up. Our credit rating is up. The Council has shown itself to be prudent and fiscally sensible, rejecting unfunded mandates and white elephant proposals while still holding true to the strong and enduring progressive tradition of our region. Activity, while still below the ideal, has picked up from its nadir. Senator Tyrion and I crafted a functioning constitution and, after debate and revision with the Council, worked to successfully have it ratified, restoring stability to the region.

We're not there yet, but we're getting there.

As many of you may have gleaned from the fact that the position is being advertised, I indicated to the President-elect after his election victory that I would shortly be standing down from the role of Pacific manager, in order to allow his new administration to appoint a capable successor. It has been a real privilege and a pleasure to work with DemPGH, Flo, our next Governor, TheCranberry and all the others who have passed through the Council these last six months. But almost half a year is a long time, and I think, given the progress we've made, it is time to step aside and concentrate on my work on the Supreme Court. I will formally submit my resignation to President Duke this July 1st.

Serving as Pacific project manager was a great experience. I have some regrets, true - the lapse in communication early on was an avoidable error that was thankfully soon overcome, and my idea of leading a healthcare reform think tank in addition to my duties in this office and on the Court proved untenable (I hope to resurrect this idea when the issue inevitably again comes up) - but I value the relationships I built through this job, the reforms we instituted together, and the observable progress that the Pacific's made. I thank President Duke, President-elect DemPGH, the members of the Council, Justice Bacon King, and, of course, the ordinary citizens of the Pacific for their cooperation, advice, and friendship over this period.

Thank you. Smiley

Director of the Save The Pacific Project
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 12:14:59 PM »

Wonderful example of tax reform, pro-growth policies making life better for people. A 45% decline in unemployment is magnificent. Job well done, Oakvale.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »

Thank you for the kind words, Gov. Keaton. Smiley Although it should be noted that the Governor and members of the Council deserve the lion's share of the credit here. None of this would have been possible without their leadership, understanding and cooperation.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 12:28:24 PM »

I want to publicly thank you, my dear friend, for your help. Without you, I doubt we would have progressed as we have. You truly were my eyes and ears on the ground, and I knew there wasn't anyone better for the job than you when we were crafting the stimulus in the Senate. Together, we have made great progress over the last 8 months, and I can confidently say that Atlasia, as a whole, is much healthier and better off than it was 8 months ago thanks to all of the parties involved. I think we both will leave the Pacific in good hands to continue its rebound into the future.

I couldn't have done it without you. Now, it's time we both rode off into the sunset to the tiki bar in the sky (well, on July 1 and 4).
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 12:33:13 PM »

Well I guess that the tax reform couldn't really play the main part in the Pacific getting better, as that was passed not even half a year ago, and other bills (eg the Stimulus) influenced the life of the people in a more direct way.
But what's important here, is to congratulate you, Oakvale. You have done an amazing job, you have always been there for the council with council (Tongue) and good ideas. I dare say that the Pacific wouldn't be there where it is today without you. I can only stand by in awe, and congratulate you! Good luck on whatever you plan to pursue next, if you're doing just as good as saving the Pacific, you're going to do an amazing job! I think Riley Keaton's words sum it up best: "Job well done, Oakvale."
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 02:43:34 PM »

It's been a wonderful experience working with you, man. I sincerely appreciate your advice and help. Basically unheralded was your work, along with Tyrion I believe, on the 4th Constitution, which after an edit and bit of herding cats so we could vote to approve the thing, became the law of the land! It simply would have been too much without you, and I'm glad we got a chance to all work together. I believe, looking back, that we did something special in the Pacific.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies