Opinion of blacks that voted for Cochran
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:34:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of blacks that voted for Cochran
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
FFs

HPs

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Opinion of blacks that voted for Cochran  (Read 2933 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2014, 03:03:53 PM »

Discuss.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 03:07:16 PM »

Obviously FFs (not a racist and/or neo-Confederate)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 03:12:35 PM »

Obviously FFs (not a racist and/or neo-Confederate)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 03:17:41 PM »

They're probably good people, but we really shouldn't do polls about vague groups of people.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 03:20:03 PM »

To All:

Probably "opinion of" threads about a race, or for that matter any ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or even of a class, are a bad idea. You see, except for perhaps rich white people, we start to get on very thin ground, particularly if someone has a negative opinion. We had/have a bit of a contretemps about a poster who arguably has a negative opinion of poor people. Report, after report, after report. Do you see where I am going with this?

So I respectfully request that such threads not be put up. If someone feels a compelling need, in a given context to do one that gets close to the line on this, I suggest you PM me first.

Outside of personal attacks, I normally am pretty much a laissez faire type Mod, and often let stuff go by, unless it is reported, and then I need to be fair to both the reporter and the reportee, and hew to policy. But on this one, I just see trouble down the road with this genre of "opinion of" threads, and I want to try to nip it in the bud, before someone gets hurt, and many get offended, and more feuds are fueled.

Thanks for listening.

Your most controversial Mod,

Torie
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 04:08:14 PM »

The saviors of Mississippi.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 04:21:22 PM »

Denied Childers a chance at winning a seat and thus endangered further the party's Senate majority.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 04:27:44 PM »

To All:

Probably "opinion of" threads about a race, or for that matter any ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or even of a class, are a bad idea. You see, except for perhaps rich white people, we start to get on very thin ground, particularly if someone has a negative opinion. We had/have a bit of a contretemps about a poster who arguably has a negative opinion of poor people. Report, after report, after report. Do you see where I am going with this?

So I respectfully request that such threads not be put up. If someone feels a compelling need, in a given context to do one that gets close to the line on this, I suggest you PM me first.

Outside of personal attacks, I normally am pretty much a laissez faire type Mod, and often let stuff go by, unless it is reported, and then I need to be fair to both the reporter and the reportee, and hew to policy. But on this one, I just see trouble down the road with this genre of "opinion of" threads, and I want to try to nip it in the bud, before someone gets hurt, and many get offended, and more feuds are fueled.

Thanks for listening.

Torie
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 05:30:59 PM »

Denied Childers a chance at winning a seat and thus endangered further the party's Senate majority.

You do realize Travis Childers was never going to win anyway?

Far better that they devote their energies to winnable races than go down this rabbit hole.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 05:38:54 PM »

What does FF and HP mean?
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 05:47:14 PM »

Freedom Fighter (good) and Horrible Person (bad), if I'm not mistaken.

Anyhow, the blacks who voted for Cochran were definitely FFs.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 06:00:46 PM »

topkek
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 06:05:26 PM »

Far better that they devote their energies to winnable races than go down this rabbit hole.

The odds were not impossible (especially if McDaniel pulled an Akin) and even if Childers had lost, a truly competitive race in Mississippi would have laid the foundations for future Democratic efforts. Indeed, it might force the GOP to devote additional resources to this state.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 06:14:09 PM »

The odds were not impossible (especially if McDaniel pulled an Akin) and even if Childers had lost, a truly competitive race in Mississippi would have laid the foundations for future Democratic efforts. Indeed, it might force the GOP to devote additional resources to this state.

Force the GOP to spend money, yes. Lay the foundation for future Democratic efforts? Apart from a couple other candidates (Jim Hood, Ronnie Musgrove) you're not likely to get as good a Dem or as bad an R as Childers-McDaniel.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 07:43:14 PM »

National heroes, and the saviors of Mississippi.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 08:00:04 PM »

FFs for crossing over to support the candidate they honestly believe would be a better senator rather than who they think would do the most damage to the Republican Party, which is what a lot of Dems who crossover do.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 08:27:07 PM »

Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 09:58:23 PM »

To All:

Thanks for listening.

Torie
Torie hasn't been around for days, plus no one cares what he says about moderating seeing as he refuses to do so.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 09:59:07 PM »

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 10:16:49 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2014, 10:19:50 PM by Miles »

Well, on Torie's note, maybe I should have said "black Democrats" or just "Democrats" instead.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 10:21:50 PM »

LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 11:16:33 PM »

Force the GOP to spend money, yes. Lay the foundation for future Democratic efforts? Apart from a couple other candidates (Jim Hood, Ronnie Musgrove) you're not likely to get as good a Dem or as bad an R as Childers-McDaniel.
With Mississippi so racially polarized though and the state beginning to trend towards Democrats, a McDaniel win this year would have set Hood, Moran, Presley, or maybe a Dem State Rep./Sen. up to knock McDaniel out in 2020 when the environment is more friendly. I agree it really wouldn't be worth it spending loads of DSCC money for Childers for the simple reason that Childers outside help would be counterbalanced by McDaniel's help from the NRSC. Neither national party would really be enthusiastic about helping McDaniel and Childers anyways and efforts at winning this would be futile.

I do have to give an HP to the black Cochran voters though. What they really did doesn't exactly represent party unity. Even if most, if not all, of those blacks Democrats were eligible to vote in the Republican primary (meaning they didn't vote in the Dem primary), there's still the problem that they didn't want to help Childers out at all in his Tea Party challenge from Bill Marcy, yet they were more than willing to help someone who was ideological further from them in his Tea Party challenge. I understand MS's non-partisan and you can vote in any primary you want, but most of those blacks who voted Cochran vote Democrat elsewhere and this race should have been no exception to that. Ohio has closed primaries, but if we did have open primaries, I would never vote on another ballot of a party I don't ideologically belong to.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 11:23:22 PM »

With Mississippi so racially polarized though and the state beginning to trend towards Democrats, a McDaniel win this year would have set Hood, Moran, Presley, or maybe a Dem State Rep./Sen. up to knock McDaniel out in 2020 when the environment is more friendly. I agree it really wouldn't be worth it spending loads of DSCC money for Childers for the simple reason that Childers outside help would be counterbalanced by McDaniel's help from the NRSC. Neither national party would really be enthusiastic about helping McDaniel and Childers anyways and efforts at winning this would be futile.

I do have to give an HP to the black Cochran voters though. What they really did doesn't exactly represent party unity. Even if most, if not all, of those blacks Democrats were eligible to vote in the Republican primary (meaning they didn't vote in the Dem primary), there's still the problem that they didn't want to help Childers out at all in his Tea Party challenge from Bill Marcy, yet they were more than willing to help someone who was ideological further from them in his Tea Party challenge. I understand MS's non-partisan and you can vote in any primary you want, but most of those blacks who voted Cochran vote Democrat elsewhere and this race should have been no exception to that. Ohio has closed primaries, but if we did have open primaries, I would never vote on another ballot of a party I don't ideologically belong to.

Childers was never in any danger from Bill Marcy.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 11:41:09 PM »

It didn't have to be just Childers for coming out to vote on June 3rd. That was the general primary election and blacks could have came out to show their support for Bennie Thompson plus there were competitive Democratic primaries in the other House races that night - one of which went to a runoff.

As an Ohioan, it just doesn't sit right that black Democrats should be able crossover and determine the Republican nominee, no matter if it's competitive or not. If Ohio had open primaries and Kasich got a strong primary challenge this year from say Mike DeWine or Steve LaTourette (not to say either one of them ever would have ran), I would still cast a Democratic ballot because that's my party affiliation and who I identify with closest. I wouldn't try to blatantly sabotage the other side.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 11:47:04 PM »

It didn't have to be just Childers for coming out to vote on June 3rd. That was the general primary election and blacks could have came out to show their support for Bennie Thompson plus there were competitive Democratic primaries in the other House races that night - one of which went to a runoff.

As an Ohioan, it just doesn't sit right that black Democrats should be able crossover and determine the Republican nominee, no matter if it's competitive or not. If Ohio had open primaries and Kasich got a strong primary challenge this year from say Mike DeWine or Steve LaTourette (not to say either one of them ever would have ran), I would still cast a Democratic ballot because that's my party affiliation and who I identify with closest. I wouldn't try to blatantly sabotage the other side.

The way your posts have been recently, you seem like you would sabotage the other side.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies