Would you support this bill?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:42:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Would you support this bill?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would you support the introduction and passage of the "No Problem But You Pay It Act"?
Yes
No
Not sure
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Would you support this bill?  (Read 3835 times)
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 26, 2014, 12:20:09 AM »

Good evening, fellow Atlasians.

I'm seeking to have this bill introduced to the Senate, but I also want to know your opinion about it.

Would Sen. Bore or any At-Large Senator or just any Senator introduce this bill to the Senate? Please Smiley

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's not like I've got anything against transgenders, but we are talking about government spending and taxpayer's money here, and I really believe this isn't the best way to go with it.

So, what do you think? ^^
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 12:23:58 AM »

No, I would not support it.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 12:41:17 AM »

absolutely not.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 12:42:05 AM »

Just as a reminder, this is Clause 4 of the Act:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So no, I would be unlikely to support it unless you found a better, alternative way for coverage of sex changes. TNF's bill had bipartisan support btw with the votes of Federalists and Laborites, so the chances of this passing or even being sponsored are slim.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 12:52:41 AM »

lolno
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 01:14:47 AM »

Not by itself, no, but since the current health care system is unsustainable, it would obviously need to be covered in another way.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 01:20:18 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2014, 12:38:51 PM by Barnes »

Absolutely not.  Sex changes are not just some "fad" or elective surgery - they are instead a vitally crucial process to preserve the mental and physical well-being of the person concerned.  It is the task of government to ensure that citizens lead their lives to the fullest of their potential and also respect the full development of their personalities and individuality.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 05:03:45 AM »

Obviously I don't and can't see myself supporting this bill, but I think, given civilian introduced legislation is rare enough that it should be encouraged, there is a shortage of items in the queue and I am JomCAR's regional senator I'll introduce the bill.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 08:13:13 AM »

Of course not
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 09:35:20 AM »

No (not a fascist bastard)
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 10:04:22 AM »

No.

In addition to what Barnes said, there aren't many of these surgeries and in fact, it's not something that someone is going to wake up one morning and just decide to do. There's a deeper psychological issue here that we should not brush aside.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 11:52:08 AM »

No.

In addition to what Barnes said, there aren't many of these surgeries and in fact, it's not something that someone is going to wake up one morning and just decide to do. There's a deeper psychological issue here that we should not brush aside.
This.

Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 12:29:07 PM »

Nope
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 06:39:15 PM »

This shows the complete lack of understanding of the impacts of gender-identity on a person's psyche and mental health.

Gender re-assignment is not a cosmetic procedure, it's a corrective one and should be covered.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 11:53:28 PM »

Not by itself, no, but since the current health care system is unsustainable, it would obviously need to be covered in another way.

Absolutely not.  Sex changes are not just some "fad" or elective surgery - they are instead a vitally crucial process to preserve the mental and physical well-being of the person concerned.  It is the task of government to ensure that citizens lead their lives to the fullest of their potential and also respect the full development of their personalities and individuality.

I'll take all the arguments given, but specially these two, they've been the best so far, I think.

No.

Mr. President-elect, I don't know if you saw the estimation of the cost of it: Senator TNF himself showed it when he was sponsoring the bill. And it was much more than expected. (Congratulations, BTW ^^)

I'll bring my feedback to your opinions when the bill is debated ^^

Oh TNF you~ xD
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 12:51:27 AM »

I would love to see the argument from the other side for why we shouldn't pay for these surgeries, is it only the cost that some of you are against?
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 01:17:05 AM »

I would love to see the argument from the other side for why we shouldn't pay for these surgeries, is it only the cost that some of you are against?

In my case, mostly yes. As much as I do consider mental health a key public issue, and I see sex change as an important and courageous decision, I don't think it justifies the costs that were published. And what Emperor Scott added is important too: the whole health care system is in trouble right now.

Personally, I'd like to see a more market-based solution, or things like charity developing more and being encouraged in Atlasia. This would make our individuals stronger, more compassionate and self-reliant Smiley
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 05:09:39 AM »

#thatmomentwhenconservativesfindoutatlasialookslikewhatamericawillin30

On a separate note, I'm not shocked to see not one conservative even try to touch this. This, JoMCaR, will tell you how scared conservatives in this game are to discuss their own positions.

You guys shouldn't leave him hanging, especially when 14 of you are hiding behind the poll!
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 08:35:39 AM »

In my case, mostly yes. As much as I do consider mental health a key public issue, and I see sex change as an important and courageous decision, I don't think it justifies the costs that were published. And what Emperor Scott added is important too: the whole health care system is in trouble right now.

Personally, I'd like to see a more market-based solution, or things like charity developing more and being encouraged in Atlasia. This would make our individuals stronger, more compassionate and self-reliant Smiley

I'm so sick of this empty suit argument by conservatives on nearly every, single issue... sick of it!

More "compassionate and self-reliant"... which carries on the nonsense that the right spins that people are on welfare or use public systems because they just don't "want it enough" or don't have the right "work-ethic". The answer to society's ills is NOT to hope the afflicted can rely on the good-will of the better off. There's a reason why social insurance exists, because it works.

Apologies that your thread copped it, but I needed to vent it.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 12:17:18 PM »

I'm so sick of this empty suit argument by conservatives on nearly every, single issue... sick of it!

More "compassionate and self-reliant"... which carries on the nonsense that the right spins that people are on welfare or use public systems because they just don't "want it enough" or don't have the right "work-ethic". The answer to society's ills is NOT to hope the afflicted can rely on the good-will of the better off. There's a reason why social insurance exists, because it works.

I agree with you completely, Polnut. The entire reason to provide social services to people is that they are services that the majority of the population would simply have no interest in providing on their own.  It is the duty of the government to defend the little people - people who do not have the loudest voice, or unlimited cash flows, but are simply trying to live happy, productive, and fulfilling lives.  These people are so insignificant to the vast apparatus of corporatist greed that they must have the government on their side
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 02:01:17 PM »

#thatmomentwhenconservativesfindoutatlasialookslikewhatamericawillin30

On a separate note, I'm not shocked to see not one conservative even try to touch this. This, JoMCaR, will tell you how scared conservatives in this game are to discuss their own positions.

You guys shouldn't leave him hanging, especially when 14 of you are hiding behind the poll!

Well, I AM shocked ^^'

Well... does social insurance work? I'm putting the text that can show the opposite in bold. It's not like I think that people on welfare aren't working enough, I've heard that argument, and I disagree with it. But government-provided social insurance has its limits. And here in Atlasia, it seems these limits have been reached and passed. How much can we afford as a society without the good-will of us individuals? That's the problem here. Are we to continue to put our future in the shoulders of our bureaucracy, or are we giving a hand too?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 02:06:52 PM »

No.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 04:24:26 PM »

Hell No.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 07:24:30 PM »

That's why it's called social insurance, it's something almost everyone contributes to through taxation and that everyone is entitled to draw-on should it be necessary. Like any other kind of insurance, there is a pool, but not everyone will receive what they put in.

And yes, on almost all metrics, it does work. The issue Scott is talking about does not mean it doesn't 'work' it just requires more effort - no major policy initiative gets it right immediately, reform, re-structure to make it work best. It's too important than to throw your hands in the air, make some platitudinal statements about 'individuals' and push the burden onto already over-stretched charities.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 07:50:58 PM »

I don't think I would; I'd be interested to see how much it is costing.

Even Iran allows sex changes on government expense.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies