Only rich folks go to Congress (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:03:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Only rich folks go to Congress (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Only rich folks go to Congress  (Read 4254 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« on: June 28, 2014, 02:30:36 PM »
« edited: August 01, 2014, 04:14:40 AM by A.G. Snowstalker »

Elections are the source of this problem; if you want working class people in government, you have to fundamentally change how politicians are chosen. The Athenian democracy did not have elections to the extent that we do. Athenians distrusted election because it almost always hands power to the rich. The real solution is to forego elections in favor of random selection of officeholders.

I've though about demarchy and I'm iffy. But at the very least make elections as democratic as possible--no campaign spending allowed whatsoever and ensure that officeholders can be recalled by their constituents at any time, and in general bring in Nix's proposals.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 04:15:29 AM »

Elections are the source of this problem; if you want working class people in government, you have to fundamentally change how politicians are chosen. The Athenian democracy did not have elections to the extent that we do. Athenians distrusted election because it almost always hands power to the rich. The real solution is to forego elections in favor of random selection of officeholders.

I've though about autarky and I'm iffy. But at the very least make elections as democratic as possible--no campaign spending allowed whatsoever and ensure that officeholders can be recalled by their constituents at any time, and in general bring in Nix's proposals.

Surely you mean demarchy? Autarky is cutting off foreign trade.

LOL, I did. Just saw my original post again from it being quoted in Foucaulf's signature.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies