SENATE BILL: Sanity in Foreign Policy Amendment (Veto Override Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:05:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Sanity in Foreign Policy Amendment (Veto Override Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Sanity in Foreign Policy Amendment (Veto Override Failed)  (Read 5473 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2014, 12:12:17 PM »

Aye
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2014, 12:26:31 PM »

I'd just like to remind everyone that the Actual End to Imperialism Act passed 9-0 with Fed support and with one Senator (Xahar) not voting. There are parts of it that are necessary and very sensible, and again I'd like to say that my strong preference is for a rewrite or an amended version of that bill that keeps the sensible precautions we need. Not a blanket repeal.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2014, 12:54:34 PM »

I'd just like to remind everyone that the Actual End to Imperialism Act passed 9-0 with Fed support and with one Senator (Xahar) not voting. There are parts of it that are necessary and very sensible, and again I'd like to say that my strong preference is for a rewrite or an amended version of that bill that keeps the sensible precautions we need. Not a blanket repeal.

Well, while the original vote conflicted me since it was unanimous, I believe the Senate failed to take enough time to consider the consecuences of this beyond eliminating some of the most dangerous and nonsensical parts, which is why I don't consider a good idea to keep such a bill. Perhaps the intention could be somewhat sensible, but not the finer points, specially not if we want to keep our options open without strangling our defense sector to death.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2014, 12:55:33 PM »

AYE
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2014, 02:08:49 PM »

Nay (anti-fascist/anti-imperialist)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2014, 02:11:06 PM »

Why I have a feeling you might redraft that if this passes? Tongue

---------------
Yankeeeeeeeeeeeeee?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2014, 05:42:05 PM »

Probably a best case scenario at this point, but we'll see! Tongue

There are some ways to redraft it that would make it work and should appease the majority on both sides.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2014, 06:18:14 AM »

AYE since a redraft is on the table.

You can call 24 hours on vote changes, Windjammer. Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2014, 06:19:18 AM »

---------------
Yankeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

Yes I just voted. Is there something else. 

I was hopinjg DemPGH would call for a redraft, as there were some portions I liked as well.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2014, 04:01:45 PM »

This has enough votes to pass.
Senators, you have 24 hours to change their vote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2014, 02:04:07 AM »

You can end this man. Smiley
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2014, 04:13:08 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The results of the vote:
Aye (6): Senator Shua, Senator Lumine, Senator Alfred, Senator DC, Senator Goldwater, Senator North Carolina Yankee
Nay (3): Senator Griffin, Senator Tyrion, Senator TNF
Abstain (1): Senator Bore

This bill passes.

I, Windjammer, President of the senate, certify these results are accurate.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2014, 04:13:43 AM »

This bill is now sent to the President.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2014, 09:42:36 AM »

The Senate has really turned into a fascist sh**thole as of late.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2014, 09:47:36 AM »

The Senate has really turned into a fascist sh**thole as of late.

Once again, stay classy, Senator!

I thank my fellow Federalists, Alfred and Shua for their invaluable support, and I'd like to thank Bore for abstaining instead of voting Nay as well. I feel this could be the start of more realistic efforts, and I hope a potential Presidential redraft does not undermine the purpose of this bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2014, 04:25:35 AM »

I eagerly await the promised redraft from the President. Smiley
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2014, 09:57:22 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2014, 10:01:18 AM by DemPGH, President »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

VETO

I would like to be clear at the outset that my veto of this particular statute neither informs nor impacts future decisions with regard to the issue of foreign policy.

After speaking with no fewer than five senators, to whom I have expressed my concerns, I have opted for a veto for four reasons:

1. I do not believe that I would be able to alter in any significant way, or in any way that would appease pro conflict elements in the Senate, the Actual End to Imperialism Act.

2. The Actual End to Imperialism Act passed 9-0 with strong bipartisan support. Certainly minds can change, but I do not see evidence that this is the case; in other words, I fail to see a reason for a change in this policy. Rather, I see chiefly one senator pushing pro war solutions, often simultaneously, as a way to confront nearly every international issue.

3. I feel strongly that I do not see how allowing the private funding of wars, or permitting the private intervention in the internal conflicts of foreign countries, would do anything other than increase sectarian and internecine violence. Our goal should be the opposite.

4. Finally, training paramilitary forces around the world is not what I consider to be a democratic objective; logically, neither would it decrease tribal and internal conflicts in which we have no stake. Again, our goal should be the opposite. The Actual end to Imperialism Act closes only bases whose “sole mission is training foreign military and paramilitary personnel.”

We have in place a wise policy, and to lift it would be overly reckless.

Yours,
DemPGH, President
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2014, 10:20:12 AM »

Wouldn't it have been prudent if at least some aspect of the discussion over whether or not to redraft had occured in public? Tongue

Granted I know not which five it was but certainly if it was the stark pro/anti members on either side, then of course it would be rather difficult to find consensus in a redraft. Surely the presence of six ayes, including a member of the Labor party as well as shua, who is hardly a pro-war inteventionist by any means, would indicate that desire for changes extends far beyond just one Senator, no?

Ironically I agree with three, but as for point four, isn't training "foreign military" in the absence of the private side, potentially in our interest? What about joint exercises with Britain, are they banned by this for instance? Or Canada even who would have an interest in defending common borders and body's of water from any number of threats? If it is efficent and cheaper to have a base solely devoted for such purposes, why should it be banned?

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2014, 10:23:14 AM »

Senators, you have until July 13, 2014, 09:57:22 am to request a veto override.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2014, 10:31:49 AM »

Wouldn't it have been prudent if at least some aspect of the discussion over whether or not to redraft had occured in public? Tongue

Granted I know not which five it was but certainly if it was the stark pro/anti members on either side, then of course it would be rather difficult to find consensus in a redraft. Surely the presence of six ayes, including a member of the Labor party as well as shua, who is hardly a pro-war inteventionist by any means, would indicate that desire for changes extends far beyond just one Senator, no?

Ironically I agree with three, but as for point four, isn't training "foreign military" in the absence of the private side, potentially in our interest? What about joint exercises with Britain, are they banned by this for instance? Or Canada even who would have an interest in defending common borders and body's of water from any number of threats? If it is efficent and cheaper to have a base solely devoted for such purposes, why should it be banned?

Actually, I found myself looking at An Actual End to Imperialism Act several times, and I really couldn't offer a rewrite that substantially changed it. That's what I mean.

Joint exercises with Great Britain would not be banned, and neither are coalitions. What's banned is to set up a base in a foreign country whose purpose is to train paramilitary forces (i.e., to overthrow strongmen, etc.).
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2014, 10:33:20 AM »

I would like to thank the President for his bold and decisive action here.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2014, 10:40:52 AM »

Is it possible to amend this and then attempt an override?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2014, 10:54:36 AM »

Is it possible to amend this and then attempt an override?
I'm sorry, but that's impossible. (I think)
If you want to amend it, you have to post a new bill in the legislative introduction thread.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2014, 11:54:51 AM »

I request a veto override.

Without trying to be disrespecful in any way, if the President wishes to portray me a warmonger (regardless of how diplomatic the language is) for my recent efforts then he may very well do so, it's his right, but I would have hoped at the very least a redraft instead of speaking with isolated Senators and concluding that nothing could be done when this passed with the support of a Labor Senator and another one abstaining. Much as the original vote was 9-0, we can easily see that most of the consecuences of the original Act were not adecuately considered by the Senate, and most of the focus came on watering down what was already a dangerous bill. Tying one's hands is not what I would call a wise policy.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2014, 12:07:22 PM »

Yankee, I have read the rules, and I find nothing for the debate time granted for a veto override.

Shall I start a vote right now?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies