SENATE BILL: Atlasian Calendar Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:39:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Atlasian Calendar Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Atlasian Calendar Act (Law'd)  (Read 2467 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2014, 04:28:38 AM »
« edited: July 08, 2014, 01:14:01 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: bore
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 04:29:37 AM »

Speak to me bore!!!
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 04:41:07 AM »

Basically, GM simfan, by virtue of his office is the God of the game, and we, in theory, have to follow him. Anyway, he recently abolished the use of the gregorian calendar, replacing it with a baffling atlasian one. This bill would rectify that.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 04:43:42 AM »

Whati s this Eritrea stuff?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 05:17:53 AM »

Simfan basically abolished the state of Eritrea a while back in one line, sort of like the time he tried to change the official language of the northeast in a tldr bill about education or something. Now he's fleshed out that story in his first post on his thread, I wouldn't mind striking that section.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 05:21:57 AM »

I am sorry, but what?

The GM doesn't abolish countries. The GM reports that a country has dissolved or cease to exist.

Also, I am extremely worried about the precedent this sets. No one pays attention to the GM as it is and I gave Adam the respect he deserved when he was going on about aliens, I think it would be a mistake to further undermine the GM.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 05:29:08 AM »

I am sorry, but what?

The GM doesn't abolish countries. The GM reports that a country has dissolved or cease to exist.

Also, I am extremely worried about the precedent this sets. No one pays attention to the GM as it is and I gave Adam the respect he deserved when he was going on about aliens, I think it would be a mistake to further undermine the GM.

To be fair, the current GM himself set this precedent when he egged on a public rebellion against my timeline, and he and the President both know that I warned them then that he in effect destroyed the future ability of the GM to act against popular will (this was why/before I resigned and certainly before I had any idea he would take my place). With that being said, however, I will have to oppose this intervention on principle - even if the issue at-hand is rigoddamndiculous.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 05:37:30 AM »

I do not recall this fight over the timeline business but I would have said the same thing then that I do now.

If anything, the GM shouldn't have to decide the calendar, we should. And clear up this whole history of Atlasia versus US bs too. That way the area of potential dissent is removed from the GM having to deal with that third rail.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 05:38:25 AM »

So rather than an ignore the GM act, we should have an Atlasian calendar act and an Atlasian History Act.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 05:43:23 AM »

Offering an amendment:

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 05:45:02 AM »

I do not recall this fight over the timeline business but I would have said the same thing then that I do now.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=170784.msg4099627#msg4099627
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=189520.0
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=170784.msg4106621#msg4106621
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 05:45:36 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2014, 06:15:57 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Origination
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 05:47:20 AM »

Yea, March, I kinda barely remember anything from the period of mid March, just days after a funeral and all.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 06:13:47 AM »

That was quick Tongue

Yankee, could you change the T in atlasian to lower case please? I missed it.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 02:46:56 PM »

If you don't want to use the Atlasian calendar, that is fine by me. Smiley
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 03:35:25 PM »

I'm going to oppose this, undermining the GM is certainly not something we want to do, even if the position requires urgent reform as it's evident it's not working as it should. If anything, the changes to Ethiopia, Eritrea and the calendar are a thousand times more plausible than having an alien invasion (I understand Griffin's intentions in regards to that particular event, but I still think it went too far).
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 03:37:06 PM »

I'm going to oppose this, undermining the GM is certainly not something we want to do, even if the position requires urgent reform as it's evident it's not working as it should. If anything, the changes to Ethiopia, Eritrea and the calendar are a thousand times more plausible than having an alien invasion (I understand Griffin's intentions in regards to that particular event, but I still think it went too far).

Its not the position that needs reform, and trying to talk yourself into that being true is dangerous territory.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 03:45:33 PM »

Its not the position that needs reform, and trying to talk yourself into that being true is dangerous territory.

Really, Mr. President? Duke had a very hard time finding GM's, and the position hasn't been working for quite a few months. It's becoming increasingly evident that the position involves too much work for a single Atlasian now, which is why I was interested in SirNick's proposal for a game engine team.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 04:22:12 PM »

Really, Mr. President? Duke had a very hard time finding GM's, and the position hasn't been working for quite a few months. It's becoming increasingly evident that the position involves too much work for a single Atlasian now, which is why I was interested in SirNick's proposal for a game engine team.

We already have it set up as a team, and it hasn't worked out very well with the Cabinet. Most people would say Adam Griffin was the best gm in recent memory, but a select few atlasians worked very hard to make sure his second stint was as short as possible. Older players say Purple State was the best GM but I can't really comment since I wasn't around for it. Either way, like most positions, its about who you have. When you add positions somewhere you typically have to make up for it with lesser regional offices or less competition or other consequences.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 06:57:53 PM »

It's not a matter of me just disliking thee atlasian calendar, according to the GM we have to use it, and that's just not sensible.

OFFICE OF THE GAME MODERATOR
Declaration of an Atlasian Calendar

IN order to better keep track of time in the context of an Atlasian framework, in recognition of the fact that this remains a game and issues evolve in a manner that far outlast terms of office, the Office of the Game Moderator is announcing the creation of an Atlasian Calendar.

The Atlasian Calendar

The Atlasian Calendar shall be dated from the formation of the Republic of Atlasia, in the month of February 2004. A year is defined as the standard Gregorian month. Thus Feburary 2004 is Year 1, and we are presently in Year 124. Today is therefore Saturday 24, 124, or simply 24, 124. For terms for reference, the Atlasian year can be denoted by the suffix Annum Atlasiae, or A.A. Dates before 1, 1 (February 1, 2004), are to be referred to in Gregorian dates.

Usage

The Atlasian Calendar shall be held subordinate to the Gregorian calendar for the time being. Bills can use either the Atlasian calendar to accelerate simulation, and this will be looked upon advantageously and with favor. This does not affect the dating of prior legislation.

Mandates

All legislation and acts must henceforth include the Atlasian Calendar in their dating and clarify which calendar to which they refer.

THE GAME MODERATOR
24, 124 (May 24, 2014)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 07:21:31 PM »

Yeah I don't see where the GM has the constitutional authority to mandate to the senate the means of legislating.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 06:32:10 AM »

The amendment has adopted.

Is an "Atlasian Calendar" desirable then if not necessarily the Simfan model then maybe something else?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 08:25:06 AM »

The amendment has adopted.

Is an "Atlasian Calendar" desirable then if not necessarily the Simfan model then maybe something else?

I think that a specifically atlasian calendar would be intimidating for new players and would also create an incongruity given ten years of legislation uses the gregorian one. So, in my opinion, no.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 10:13:13 AM »

Yeah I don't see where the GM has the constitutional authority to mandate to the senate the means of legislating.

He doesn't, Simfan is just being Simfan.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2014, 11:32:13 AM »
« Edited: June 28, 2014, 11:33:56 AM by Simfan34 »

I thought you liked it. Anyway, I hereby annul my statement on the usage of the Atlasian calendar. The Gregorian will be henceforth assumed.

The main idea was to accelerate gameplay, that is, to cause results of legislation to happen at a speed fast enough to elicit result reactions. I'm fine if that's not desired.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies