Which of the following languages would you rather learn?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 08:03:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which of the following languages would you rather learn?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Arabic

Chinese

French

German

Italian

Spanish

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Which of the following languages would you rather learn?  (Read 1437 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 12:08:47 AM »

Spanish.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 02:36:42 AM »

I speak German and Italian already, so probably Spanish.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 02:53:00 AM »

I speak conversational Spanish already, so German Smiley
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 08:46:29 AM »

Everyone in LA is taught French in elementary school, but I haven't picked it up since. I'd like to, however.

I wish; I went to a Catholic school in New Orleans for elementary and they just had Spanish. I probably would have liked French more.

Most elementary schools don't teach foreign languages at all, which is huge shame. Even beyond the benefits of actually knowing another language, it has been shown to improve cognitive development. Foreign language education should be mandatory starting in elementary school. It makes no sense to wait until high school (as most schools do) before offering foreign languages.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 08:57:34 AM »

I can more or less read and write Spanish, though I have difficulty understanding it spoken and can barely speak it. So other than honing my abilities on that I'd say French.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2014, 11:45:36 AM »

I wish; I went to a Catholic school in New Orleans for elementary and they just had Spanish. I probably would have liked French more.

EBR public schools all offered French starting in elementary grades, and this was the during the mid 80s.

Most elementary schools don't teach foreign languages at all, which is huge shame. Even beyond the benefits of actually knowing another language, it has been shown to improve cognitive development. Foreign language education should be mandatory starting in elementary school. It makes no sense to wait until high school (as most schools do) before offering foreign languages.

And this is odd, too. Isn't foreign language instruction begun at least in middle school (6th-9th grade)?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2014, 01:09:11 PM »

And this is odd, too. Isn't foreign language instruction begun at least in middle school (6th-9th grade)?

Well, I consider 9th-12th grade to be high school. But no, I don't think the vast majority of Americans have real access to foreign language classes prior to 9th grade. The best time to start learning other languages is during elementary school. Everything I've ever read strongly supports teaching other languages as early as possible.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2014, 06:08:30 PM »

In my semi-rural 1980's public school system (class size = 200), my middle school offered 12 weeks of Spanish in 7th grade.  In 8th grade, they offered 18 weeks of Spanish and 18 weeks of French.

In high school, they offered four years each of Spanish, French, and German.  However, the demand for German was so low that they taught German II, III, and IV simultaneously.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2014, 10:36:33 AM »

Everyone in LA is taught French in elementary school, but I haven't picked it up since. I'd like to, however.

French fluency should be a mandatory subject in Louisiana.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2014, 10:38:29 AM »

Arabic. I know some French and Spanish already, don't wanna learn other Indo-European langs. Abjads are easier than Logographies, and triconsonantal roots are cool.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2014, 12:21:17 AM »

Spanish is my mother tongue lol So... hard one ^^'
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies