The Millennial Generation has produced nothing of note culturally. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:47:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Millennial Generation has produced nothing of note culturally. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Millennial Generation has produced nothing of note culturally.  (Read 2645 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« on: June 27, 2014, 08:06:37 PM »

1. Subjective opinions and tastes of a single individual can in no way measure the entire objective cultural value of an entire generation's creative output, to whatever extent such a thing can be objectively measured

2. To a large extent, cultural endeavors are largely if not entirely subjective and therefore their value only exists insofar as any normative consensus exists among society at large (which again, a single individual's thoughts have no direct relationship with)

3. You're disregarding entire genres with your broad generalizations; for example our generation has produced a lot of great hip hop (not like top forty stuff necessarily)

4. Trent Reznor's cultural output does not match the norms of the "marketing experts who create the economy" and he only became commercially successful in the mainstream because of the widespread fame he received on a largely underground scene. It is shortsighted to assume there aren't people out there in our generation who won't be following a similar path, or to assume that younger popstars who have been thrust into greatness by the recording industry are in any way representative of our generation as a whole

5. If there is any accuracy to your assessment I'd posit that it's only because the increasingly oligarchic nature of mainstream media prohibits easy access to artists who can't be trusted by their financiers to be conventionally commercially successful so those who don't sound like everyone else are forced into niche fandoms that can be brought together by the internet

tl;dr your argument parallels that whole "DAE le 90's? Ima 90's kid and everything today sucks" thing, plz reconsider your viewpoint
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 10:52:34 PM »

Of course our current time seems boring, we're living in it.

Slightly off-topic, but I genuinely get a kick out of the fact that in 50 years' time my grandchildren will be coming up to me and asking how it was like to live through the height of the "same sex marriage movement" just like how I asked my grandparents how it was like to live during the Civil Rights Era of the 1960s.  Just like my grandparents did me, I won't have anything especially insightful to say and my grandchildren will think that I'm either a bigot who has yet to change his ways or that I spent the better-part of my young adulthood under a rock.       

just come up with good stories so it sounds like you're on the right side of history
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 04:26:40 PM »

Another note, if we assume that the Strauss-Howe cyclical generations/turnings theory holds any water then we really shouldn't be surprised that our current popular cultural hasn't produced anything of real substance.

The analogous point in the previous cycle to where we are today would probably be the later 1930s, and I don't remember anything of especial cultural merit being produced during that time (at least not in the United States).  Popular culture then, like today, seemed rather kitsch and juvenile.  Of course, this would make sense, as then (much like today) artists and musicians were approached with a certain level of skepticism by the general public for not channelling the fullness of their efforts into propelling the society-wide institutional reorganization.

Just some more food for thought. 

Wizard of Oz
Snow White and the 7 Dwarves

The Hobbit
Brave New World
Grapes of Wrath
Of Mice and Men
As I Lay Dying

Batman and Superman comics
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length