The Millennial Generation has produced nothing of note culturally. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:23:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The Millennial Generation has produced nothing of note culturally. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Millennial Generation has produced nothing of note culturally.  (Read 2636 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« on: June 29, 2014, 10:50:56 PM »

Of course our current time seems boring, we're living in it.

Slightly off-topic, but I genuinely get a kick out of the fact that in 50 years' time my grandchildren will be coming up to me and asking how it was like to live through the height of the "same sex marriage movement" just like how I asked my grandparents how it was like to live during the Civil Rights Era of the 1960s.  Just like my grandparents did me, I won't have anything especially insightful to say and my grandchildren will think that I'm either a bigot who has yet to change his ways or that I spent the better-part of my young adulthood under a rock.       
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 10:57:10 PM »

Of course our current time seems boring, we're living in it.

Slightly off-topic, but I genuinely get a kick out of the fact that in 50 years' time my grandchildren will be coming up to me and asking how it was like to live through the height of the "same sex marriage movement" just like how I asked my grandparents how it was like to live during the Civil Rights Era of the 1960s.  Just like my grandparents did me, I won't have anything especially insightful to say and my grandchildren will think that I'm either a bigot who has yet to change his ways or that I spent the better-part of my young adulthood under a rock.       

just come up with good stories so it sounds like you're on the right side of history

I wouldn't be surprised if their schoolbooks had pictures of Southern Baptists spraying gays with firehoses LOL
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 04:18:54 PM »

Another note, if we assume that the Strauss-Howe cyclical generations/turnings theory holds any water then we really shouldn't be surprised that our current popular cultural hasn't produced anything of real substance.

The analogous point in the previous cycle to where we are today would probably be the later 1930s, and I don't remember anything of especial cultural merit being produced during that time (at least not in the United States).  Popular culture then, like today, seemed rather kitsch and juvenile.  Of course, this would make sense, as then (much like today) artists and musicians were approached with a certain level of skepticism by the general public for not channelling the fullness of their efforts into propelling the society-wide institutional reorganization.

Just some more food for thought. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies