Which of these monarchies will still exist in 2050? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:45:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Which of these monarchies will still exist in 2050? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Andorra*

Bahrain

Belgium

Bhutan

Brunei

Cambodia

Denmark

Japan

Jordan

Kuwait

Lesotho

Liechtenstein

Luxembourg

Malaysia

Monaco

Morocco

Netherlands

Norway

Oman

Qatar

Saudi Arabia

Spain

Swaziland

Sweden

Thailand

Tonga

United Arab Emirates

United Kingdom / Commonwealth

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of these monarchies will still exist in 2050?  (Read 7895 times)
ingemann
YaBB God

« on: June 30, 2014, 08:59:41 AM »

I think it's likely that if the UK ever got rid of their monarchy, basically every other EU country would follow shortly after in the next 2-5 years.

Similarly, I think if Sweden of The Netherlands or some non-Spain country abolished the monarchy then almost every other country except the UK would follow.

Spain probably wouldn't cause too much of a tidal wave though, as it's own monarchy is too much of a historical anomaly.

This seems far fetched. Britain is not a role model for countries in continental Europe and the monarchy is a matter of national tradition, not something influenced by what other countries do,

I suppose the Scandinavian countries might nfluence each other somewhat, since we use each other as points of reference, but apart from that why for instance should Danes care if the monarchy is abolished in Belgium?

I honestly don't see Denmark being effected by Sweden or vice versa (at least no more than any other country abolishing the monarchy), I think or public debate and media have become too alien to each other for us to see such a effect. You can see it right now, where Sweden have strong anti-monarchism media, while in Denmark it doesn't fill anything in the general debate.

Abolishing the monarchy in Norway on the other hand could have some effects, while we may look down on the Norwegians (as lovable hillbillies), we are often inspired by them.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 11:23:27 AM »

where Sweden have strong anti-monarchism media, while in Denmark it doesn't fill anything in the general debate.

Wait... what?

This is news to me. Our media in general loves to suck up to the royal family, and I say that as a staunch royalist.  

Sorry that may be me who's wrong, your media just seem to not having their tongue as far up in your monarchy's colon as our have.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies