FC Chess Tournament 5 (Completed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:55:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  FC Chess Tournament 5 (Completed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: FC Chess Tournament 5 (Completed)  (Read 2989 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2014, 09:47:13 AM »

LMAO
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2014, 03:10:40 PM »

Unsurprisingly, gmantis has defeated me... Smiley
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2014, 03:22:09 PM »

Unsurprisingly, gmantis has defeated me... Smiley
Thanks for an interesting game. But "unsurprisingly" is perhaps is a bit too strong. You did find in the end a defense which prevented a direct mating attack (excluding the last move, of course) and would have forced me into a slower endgame. And I have some unpleasant memories from end-games that were supposed to be won, but didn't quite end up this way...
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2014, 03:29:54 PM »

Chess is a such wonderful game
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2014, 05:25:16 PM »

I wonder, Franzl, if you might have had a chance to have a strong endgame yourself on move 17.  Instead of 17. Qa5, where the threat on c7 is easy for Black to parry, maybe 17. Qb4 is better, as now if Black plays 17...Rc8 then 18. Rxc8+ Qc8 19. Bb2 and it looks to me like Black's isolated d-pawn is lost.  If Black doesn't go in for that line, then he is just passive and still has to defend the weak pawns on d4 and b7.  They both make for nice targets.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2014, 03:31:48 AM »

I wonder, Franzl, if you might have had a chance to have a strong endgame yourself on move 17.  Instead of 17. Qa5, where the threat on c7 is easy for Black to parry, maybe 17. Qb4 is better, as now if Black plays 17...Rc8 then 18. Rxc8+ Qc8 19. Bb2 and it looks to me like Black's isolated d-pawn is lost.  If Black doesn't go in for that line, then he is just passive and still has to defend the weak pawns on d4 and b7.  They both make for nice targets.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems to me that 19...Qc2 refutes this line, since it threatens both bishops with a similar attack as the one that happened in the game.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2014, 08:58:30 AM »

Good call, GMantis.  Looks like White has to better coordinate his pieces before building up on targets.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2014, 11:53:56 PM »

Sorry for the much-delayed start to SPC vs homely
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2014, 05:25:54 PM »

Congratulations, homecooking!
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2014, 06:56:08 AM »

I've resigned against Mr X. Well played to him Smiley

It just goes to show, always check to make sure you're not going to get forked Tongue
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2014, 06:59:55 AM »

The new table is

Gmantis 3
homelycooking 2
SPC 2
franzl 1
Mr X 1
bore 0

The new games are:
bore (W) vs gmantis (B)
franzl (W) vs SPC (B)
Mr X (W) vs homely (B)

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2014, 06:18:33 PM »

My game versus gmantis
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2014, 09:19:57 PM »

Franzl vs SPC
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2014, 07:22:54 AM »

Bumping this thread just because, but also to remind all you folks who can't take your eyes off a live-streamed chess event that the Carlsen-Anand rematch for the world championship begins in two weeks!  Expect a closer match this year.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2014, 07:28:06 AM »

I'm not able to work out how to link to it, but homely and X's game has started.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2014, 07:40:41 AM »

homely vs Mr X
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2014, 08:09:37 PM »

For those interested, the first game of the world chess championship match of 2014 took place today in Socihi, Russia--the awaited 12 game rematch between Magnus Carlsen and Vishy Anand.  This first game was a real fighting draw.  Anand rightly played sharply in the opening and middlegame.  But he lost the initiative and faltered close to the first time control when he failed to trade off the Rooks.  Carlsen was suddenly the player with the active position and the winning chances.  But then, Anand found a beautiful save.  The 47-move draw has the players tied, 1/2-1/2.  Game two tomorrow.

Analysis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tX7G4mJjpY&list=UUMBATpFb--uLNAODOVWvCTA

For those of you who just can't take your eyes off of live-streamed six hour chess games, the live feeds can be found here.  Games start at 3pm Russia time, 7am eastern standard time in the U.S.
http://www.sochi2014.fide.com/live-video

Expecting a close match.

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2014, 10:49:36 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2014, 10:51:22 AM by Senator bore »

I didn't get the chance to say this earlier but congratulations to gmantis for a great game against me Smiley

The new table is

Gmantis 4
homelycooking 3
franzl 2
SPC 2
Mr X 1
bore 0

The new and final games are:
homely (W) vs bore (B)
SPC (W) vs gmantis(B)
Mr X (W) vs franzl (B)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2014, 10:54:18 AM »

bore vs homely
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2014, 11:38:31 AM »

SPC vs gmantis
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2014, 01:31:41 PM »

I didn't get the chance to say this earlier but congratulations to gmantis for a great game against me Smiley
I should thank you for being a worthy opponent in arguably my best game in this tournament Smiley
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2014, 04:07:21 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2014, 04:12:30 PM by anvi »

Game 2 sees Carlsen drum up an attack against Anand's Berlin Defense. A few small inaccuracies by Anand allow Carlsen to ramp up the pressure, and in time trouble, Anand cracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYtIcVY7mLc

Anyway, Carlsen leads 1.5-.5 after two games, with the first player to score 6.5 winning.  Tomorrow is a rest day; next game on Tuesday morning.  Anand, at least, will have the White pieces.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2014, 04:27:07 PM »

Game 2 sees Carlsen drum up an attack against Anand's Berlin Defense. A few small inaccuracies by Anand allow Carlsen to ramp up the pressure, and in time trouble, Anand cracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYtIcVY7mLc

Anyway, Carlsen leads 1.5-.5 after two games, with the first player to score 6.5 winning.  Tomorrow is a rest day; next game on Tuesday morning.  Anand, at least, will have the White pieces.

I saw a board-level analysis earlier this afternoon. It was impressive how from moves 16 to 20 the position went from a rather normal looking opening to a huge attack on the black king.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2014, 06:15:52 PM »

I saw a board-level analysis earlier this afternoon. It was impressive how from moves 16 to 20 the position went from a rather normal looking opening to a huge attack on the black king.

Anand's position was perfectly solid.  When he played 19...Ng6, though, I started to worry.  It's not a losing move, but it enabled Carlsen to continue ramping up the pressure and creating weaknesses in Anand's position.  I thought Anand could just play 19...Rd7, and White's attack would have gone nowhere.  But, for as desperate as things got as the first time control approached, Anand could have continued to fight on with something like 34...Qd2, where he will drop the f4 pawn but maintain enough activity to keep fighting and maybe hold.

I think Anand is playing Carlsen too much, and sort of psyching himself out in the process.  He doesn't commit these little inaccuracies or big blunders against any other top players.  He just needs to play the position on the board instead of trying to figure out some hidden key to breaking his opponent down.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2014, 11:12:20 PM »

Anand's position was perfectly solid.  When he played 19...Ng6, though, I started to worry.  It's not a losing move, but it enabled Carlsen to continue ramping up the pressure and creating weaknesses in Anand's position.  I thought Anand could just play 19...Rd7, and White's attack would have gone nowhere.  But, for as desperate as things got as the first time control approached, Anand could have continued to fight on with something like 34...Qd2, where he will drop the f4 pawn but maintain enough activity to keep fighting and maybe hold.

I think Anand is playing Carlsen too much, and sort of psyching himself out in the process.  He doesn't commit these little inaccuracies or big blunders against any other top players.  He just needs to play the position on the board instead of trying to figure out some hidden key to breaking his opponent down.

The analysis I saw put quite a bit of the blame on 18...Be6. He thought the move was careless and didn't recognize how quickly the attack could develop, and thought that 18...Qf7 would have defused a lot of the attack.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies