A question for those who support the social welfare state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:34:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  A question for those who support the social welfare state
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A question for those who support the social welfare state  (Read 809 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2014, 04:55:49 PM »

Would you support a $2100/month guaranteed income for Americans below a certain income level if it meant doing away with all specific welfare programs? The people receiving the income would simply use private services with the money they are given.

Note that Social Security, medicare are immune from this abolition.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 05:05:39 PM »

This is an idea that I've heard a lot from certain elements on the left and on the right. Yes, I'd support this, and it's not as hard a question as you're making it sound.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 05:06:00 PM »

See, I really don't know what the hell you people are talking about when you refer to "welfare programs" as this amorphous group of services. What about the disability insurance component of Social Security? Why would Medicare be exempt but not Medicaid?

The amount of money the typical food stamp/TANF recipient gets is nowhere near $2,100 a month. You're giving them a huge "raise" as it were. But I suppose you think that's how they pay for their "Cadillacs" that Ronald Reagan warned you about.
Meursault
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 05:46:07 PM »

Why are programmes for the unemployable elderly exempt from your scheme?
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 05:48:21 PM »

They would get the 2100, but they still get medicare and SS, largely because they are the most vulnerable. By the way, some of you people get pissed off way too easily. I was not implying that people on welfare get "cadillacs". Jesus Christ don't be so sensitive!
Meursault
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 05:52:56 PM »

That's dumb. The problem with our welfare system is that it penalizes youth by discouraging saving. We support the old who already have more accumulated wealth and do nothing to help the young prepare for the future.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 06:06:19 PM »

What about people in nursing homes? $2,100 won't come close to covering their needs. Shall we throw those with advanced Alzheimer's on the street?
Meursault
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 07:04:11 PM »

Here is my counter-proposal:

All Americans aged eighteen or more qualify for a guaranteed minimum income of $2,000.00 per month.

This is reduced to $1,500.00 per month at age  30, $1,200.00 at 42, $1,000.00 at 54, and eliminated upon reaching the age of 66, at which age Social Security and Medicare kick in.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 09:36:05 PM »

$2100 per month is too high, and would require the adoption of regressive tax rates. For a single individual, poverty-line income is around $1000 per month. Depending on the implementation of Medicaid and SNAP, guaranteed minimum income should be set around %75 of poverty level, if it's going to work without bankrupting the nation.

The amount of the payment isn't really the sticking point. The tax system is the tax rate or phaseout is what makes the big difference.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 09:13:49 AM »

For a single individual, poverty-line income is around $1000 per month.

That's because the poverty line is really perversely defined.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 11:06:34 AM »

And how is one supposed to get by at $1000 a month? That doesn't even cover rent for most people.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 12:29:05 PM »

And how is one supposed to get by at $1000 a month? That doesn't even cover rent for most people.

GMI or NIT are comprehensive economic policies that effect everything from aggregate consumption to demand for labor. The goal is not to see how much you can give away. You're trying to raise income. A small minority of people acquire their income via transfer payments so you're obviously not going to scale comprehensive economic reform around the exceptionally poor. We've been doing that for a half-century. It's counter-productive.

The goal is to create a surplus of jobs at the bottom end of the pay scale so the US can import labor responsibly, export jobs responsibly, and raise wages. Adjustments can be made for people with limited access to the labor market, like single mothers, by giving additional income for qualifying children.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 12:40:55 PM »

Speak for yourself Ontario boy Wink

As for the question itself; I like minimum incomes, but there's a huge variation in cost of living across the USA. $2100/month might be plenty to live on in Texas (assuming healthcare is covered), and nowhere near enough in some of the major east coast cities.

Would the $2100 be adjusted for cost of living?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 07:00:35 PM »

I would generally favor keeping the current welfare bureaucracy largely intact for the very reason that it gives the government a certain level of control over the spending decisions of the programs' beneficiaries.

At least with the SNAP program we know what the beneficiaries are spending their money on, whereas with a guaranteed minimum income I'd be even more concerned about taxpayer money going to support illicit and unwholesome industries and activities.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 09:34:44 PM »

People at the poverty line don't get to live solo. Not a judgement value. Just a fact.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 09:35:28 PM »

Who cares?
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 10:09:39 PM »

As for the question itself; I like minimum incomes, but there's a huge variation in cost of living across the USA. $2100/month might be plenty to live on in Texas (assuming healthcare is covered), and nowhere near enough in some of the major east coast cities.

Depends on whether you like Coke or not.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 10:58:37 PM »

Within a state, there may be cheap and expensive places in which to live. New York City is infamously expensive, but rural western New York isn't.  California has some very costly places in which to live -- but the Central Valley isn't costly except for Sacramento.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 03:32:18 AM »

I support a guaranteed minimum income + a series of social insurances targeted at specific issues (unemployment, diseases, old age, etc.). So yes, that works for me.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 04:47:42 AM »

We are shamefully negligent in spreading the results of our productivity -- and the means of sharing participation in it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies