Should the US drop Israel?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:28:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the US drop Israel?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Should the US drop Israel?  (Read 7822 times)
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »

One thing is being anti-Israel, another is to be like NJ Christian and post sh*t about "Rothschilds" controlling the world.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2014, 08:09:53 AM »

Us and Israel have too much to defend in these times to drop one another. They're our strongest ally and as far as I'm concerned they're really the only other country that matters in this world.

Name one thing that Israel has done for the United States.

I... agree with Snowstalker. What does Israel do for us to merit the support they receive? Obviously they deserve their country, I guess, but that's their problem.

I also sort of agree with Adam Griffin in that I almost feel that the two sides should be left to run rampant. Let the Israelis take over the West Bank and evict the Palestinians, or let the Arabs conquer Israel and let all the Israelis come to the United States.

The latter is probable enough that it should compel some anti-Zionists to reconsider their position. Not only that, but barring an establishment of a Jewish state it's likely that would have happened, as well.

Because seriously, what would you do with the Israelis if Israel was to cease to exist, short of, well, killing them?
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2014, 04:44:12 PM »

snip
Because seriously, what would you do with the Israelis if Israel was to cease to exist, short of, well, killing them?
That is exactly what most anti-Zionists want.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2014, 09:07:53 PM »

snip
That is exactly what most anti-Zionists want.

I don't think most hard-edged anti-zionists have any ambition to kill the Jews themselves.

I do think most of them would work to get their country to deny emigration to the Jews of Israel and watch as nature took its course in the new, likely Hamas-run Palestine.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »

Us and Israel have too much to defend in these times to drop one another. They're our strongest ally and as far as I'm concerned they're really the only other country that matters in this world.

I... agree with Snowstalker. What does Israel do for us to merit the support they receive? Obviously they deserve their country, I guess, but that's their problem.

I also sort of agree with Adam Griffin in that I almost feel that the two sides should be left to run rampant. Let the Israelis take over the West Bank and evict the Palestinians, or let the Arabs conquer Israel and let all the Israelis come to the United States.

The latter is probable enough that it should compel some anti-Zionists to reconsider their position. Not only that, but barring an establishment of a Jewish state it's likely that would have happened, as well.

While I've come to think that American financial aid to Israel is more trouble than it's worth, especially with the coming oil boom of Tamar and Leviathan (and don't think this is unrelated to the increased efforts to destroy Israel - lot of people want those oil fields), there's another factor.

Israel has the best tech sector in the world. The US' staunch support for Israel puts them in the position of being able to get first grab at new technologies, many with military application. They can also negotiate exclusives that keep that tech out of the hands of rivals.

A full financial and diplomatic cut-off for Israel would give Israel no choice but to open that tech to the highest bidder. So a friendly relationship between the two is definitely to the US' benefit. Nor is there any legitimate reason for the US to cut off diplomatic support for Israel.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2014, 10:26:09 PM »

Yes. We should drop recognition of Israel and cut off all relations, then recognize the State of Palestine.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Believer%27s%20Corner/Doctrines/israel.htm#12

Oh wow, a fundie who hates Jews more than he (presumably) hates Muslims.  Now I've seen everything.

I don't hate either group of people, I just disagree with their religions and think they both have too much influence in Western countries.

"I don't hate [x group], I just disagree with their lifestyle."

Yep.  Heard it all before.  I'm no Israel apologist by any means, but as Dixiecrat pointed out, there's a clear difference between disliking your government's relationship with another nation and disliking that particular nation for the culture or religion of its citizenry.  The least you should do is apologize and denounce the website you posted for the trash it is, but apparently you're one of its frequent visitors, so I don't expect you to do either.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2014, 10:06:11 AM »

NJ Christian, do you believe the current Israel is "counterfeit?"
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2014, 10:42:49 AM »

There was once a little boy who cried anti-semitism, when there was none, but some day some nasty brownshirts came by, and then nobody answered the little boy's cries.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2014, 07:52:06 PM »

I think it's fairly clear at this point that backing the Zionists in '48 was a catastrophically stupid thing to do, given the mess that decision has made of our foreign policy interests and of the entire Middle East. Unfortunately we can't change the past, but we can prevent ourselves from continuing to make the same mistakes. I think it's high time we did. The United States should end it's relationship with Israel and go on the offensive against the Israeli state as it would any other regime in the region that violates human dignity and tramples human rights under foot. We need nothing short of a comprehensive divestment and sanctions program directed at the Israelis, as we had aimed against the original apartheid state in the 1980s.

What say you? Do you think the United States should maintain it's relationship with Israel, or alter it in some way? Do you think we should support Palestinian liberation?

If you're going to frame this with that vitriolic nonsense, that frankly sounds like it was written by a Hezbollah splinter group, what's the point?  You hate Israel, but we can't really have a discussion unless we share some foundation of reality about the situation in the West Bank.

there is no fcking 'situation in the West Bank'.  it's a slaughterhouse with the two-legged dogs (the Jews' term, not mine) making their pathetic and doomed attempt at resistance.

hopefully I'll live 50 more years and I'll see the Muslim world rally and plow the State of Israel into the Mediterranean.
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2014, 08:24:14 PM »

I think it's fairly clear at this point that backing the Zionists in '48 was a catastrophically stupid thing to do, given the mess that decision has made of our foreign policy interests and of the entire Middle East. Unfortunately we can't change the past, but we can prevent ourselves from continuing to make the same mistakes. I think it's high time we did. The United States should end it's relationship with Israel and go on the offensive against the Israeli state as it would any other regime in the region that violates human dignity and tramples human rights under foot. We need nothing short of a comprehensive divestment and sanctions program directed at the Israelis, as we had aimed against the original apartheid state in the 1980s.

What say you? Do you think the United States should maintain it's relationship with Israel, or alter it in some way? Do you think we should support Palestinian liberation?

If you're going to frame this with that vitriolic nonsense, that frankly sounds like it was written by a Hezbollah splinter group, what's the point?  You hate Israel, but we can't really have a discussion unless we share some foundation of reality about the situation in the West Bank.

there is no fcking 'situation in the West Bank'.  it's a slaughterhouse with the two-legged dogs (the Jews' term, not mine) making their pathetic and doomed attempt at resistance.

hopefully I'll live 50 more years and I'll see the Muslim world rally and plow the State of Israel into the Mediterranean.

Israel has up to 300 nukes. Good luck with that.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2014, 08:49:31 PM »

Oy gevalt...
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2014, 09:05:42 PM »

Oy gevalt, indeed!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2014, 07:29:52 AM »

Hey look, yet another poster here so proud of their bigotry that they announce it to the world.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2014, 01:07:54 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2014, 01:11:06 PM by Starwatcher »

... and Apartheid South Africa was one of the only countries in Africa with regular election without electoral fraud. There was still some other (one major one specifict) elements in that state, which meant supporting it, at some point became unacceptable.

Drop the only democracy in the Middle East? Please.
Lebanon? Turkey? Azerbaijan?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2014, 10:52:43 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2014, 10:55:45 PM by politicus »

Drop the only democracy in the Middle East? Please.
Lebanon? Turkey? Azerbaijan?

Azerbaijan is hardly a democracy in any meaningful sense of that word and its not really the Middle East.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2014, 11:00:53 PM »

Regardless of how Israel came about, they are a friend and we stick by our friends. My girlfriend has been there and is of Jewish descent (believes Jesus is Messiah and all that) so this one is personal.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies