Yes, I am alive - sort of
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:10:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Yes, I am alive - sort of
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Yes, I am alive - sort of  (Read 726 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2014, 08:13:41 PM »
« edited: June 29, 2014, 08:17:20 PM by Torie »

When one is in lock down studying for the Bar exam in NY about 10 hours a day, every day, while expected to service clients now and then, eat and sleep, and screw, and manage a ton of real estate, including managing from afar some substantial construction activity in Hudson, along with completing my delayed 1031 exchange and the sale of one leg of that transaction (thank heavens the sale of the house in Oregon that was part of the exchanged closed before the 180 day deadline), one I suppose could deem debatable as to whether or not one is alive, at least as to the issue as to whether that life is on Earth or in hell, but whatever.

You see, I mean, sure I have been a lawyer since rocks cooled, but does that mean that I know that a party admission by convention as to the Federal Rules of evidence is call "non-hearsay," even though it is hearsay (yes, I already knew that lucunae), but in the state of NY and its courts it is called hearsay but is admissible as an exception to the hearsay rule (as it should be, good for NY), and that a few states have the "agency" theory of felony murder, so that when a cop kills someone in the course of a felony, the perps are liable for that typically in most places, but not agency theory states because cops are not agents of the gang of perps the way an accomplice is if   the trigger man in their gang? F no, and the damn Bar Exam test delves into all of that. Sh*t sometimes you need to know four "languages" at once, the Model code rule, the majority common law rule, the NY rule, and the Federal courts rule. Just ducky baby. And then of course "they" (as in the the sadistic 60 year old committee of law professors who design the test with the aim of attempting to trick you any way they can so they can get a good "curve" of Bar Exam results), expect you to know all the time deadlines and means of alternative service where and when, and whether in is in state, or out of state, as to service of process in NY, as if your goal in life after passing the Bar was to become a full time process server. Boo! F them.

So I won't be around again until August - at all. You all are just are not as important to me as eating, sleeping, screwing, avoiding legal malpractice and massive financial waste - and yes, passing the NY Bar, and passing it the first time now, as in July, rather than later. Don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but that is the way it is. Heck I don't even know what has been happening politically, except with respect to some vague rumors that Iraq is falling apart, and Joe Biden's idea of partition back when may have been inspired genius, and that Thad Cochran got a sudden electric shock and miraculously arose from the dead refuting every law of gravity and nature that we thought had been so settled, that a judge could simply take judicial notice of it all.

And as a notice to the Cave, please have someone else attend to all my little reports stacking up. I just won't be dealing with them for about 35 days. And be kind. When in doubt, the Torie policy is "no action." Being a high school Vice Principal type running around with a paddle just isn't my thing.

The best to all of you btw. I hope you are all doing well. Pray for me. Thanks.

Steve
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 08:20:09 PM »

I had no idea you had moved to New York.  Congratulations and good luck!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 08:24:44 PM »

And here I am bitching to my friend about my online Algebra exam that I just took Tongue. Good luck Torie, I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 08:35:12 PM »

Well actually I am supposed to be moving in a van in the middle of July with some furniture and personal items, and a bunch of doors and windows manufactured in our plant in TJ, but now I am thinking about just jetting to Albany, and leaving all of that, as well as packing up here, to partner Dan, and Memo as to driving the van. The plan to have the three of us trek across the Fruited Plain, and showing Dan and Memo all my favorite places, and the farm in Winterset, appears to be fading away into the "inoperative" category.  But yes, I am moving to NY as a full time resident, and thanks for your note. Smiley

Who knows. I may launch my political career in Hudson, and run for the city council from a ward as a Pub that is 40% African American. The higher the peak to climb, the more I savor the trek. The journey is the thing more than actually getting there has become part of my personal perspective as to what give my life meaning. I can't wait to get started on this particular adventure! Tongue
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 08:35:35 PM »

Good luck!
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 09:02:37 PM »

I had assumed most of your described reasons for absence, but I overlooked the obvious need to pass the NY Bar. To borrow a quote from an obscure British TV show from the '60s, "Best of luck with your exams."
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 09:30:35 PM »

We all remember what happened last time Torie left for a while.

RIP BRTD Cry
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 10:20:26 PM »

Torie I thought you were moving to Silverlake last i heard...regardless congratulations and good luck! I have neither the patience nor the attention span to learn law but I applaud those who do.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 06:10:45 AM »

You were gone?  RIP.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 07:24:17 AM »

Nice to see you back Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 12:12:05 PM »

Good luck!

(shuddering at PTSD from bar review)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 06:37:53 PM »

Will say a prayer! Smiley Best of luck.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 10:20:44 PM »

Good luck!

(shuddering at PTSD from bar review)

Same. No 5 year waive in reciprocity eh?  And is it the ny exam that is three days?  I know there's an in person character review and you're quite the character so that should be fun for the particular appellate division examiner.

Good hunting.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies