Is it inappropriate to wear this shirt to church?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:07:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Is it inappropriate to wear this shirt to church?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is it inappropriate to wear this shirt to church?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Is it inappropriate to wear this shirt to church?  (Read 1305 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2014, 08:27:12 PM »

Wearing it now. Brief convo with one of my teammates today (who by the way is very much not a Christian):

Him: BRTD does your shirt say "Drug Church" on it? Where do you get a shirt like that?
Me: Yeah. Interpunk.com. It's just the band name.
Him: Oh just a band shirt. Interesting name I guess.
Me: Apparently it's a slang term for a pharmacy or something. I'm wearing it to church later today though.
Him: Wait, what? You're going to wear that to church, seriously?
Me: Yeah, why not?

Yet a couple months ago I was wearing it and one of the associate pastors noticed it and laughed and asked me what it meant, to which I explained. He actually thought it was cool and not horrified.  Funny.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 08:34:33 PM »

In your church?  I don't think "inappropriate" is a concept.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 08:34:51 PM »

I would probably never wear a T-shirt to church in the first place, unless it was a plain white one underneath the rest of my outfit.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 08:46:34 PM »

Oldies is right that you'd really never wear a t-shirt to a normal church, and Scott is correct that your church is very much not a 'normal church'.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 08:56:04 PM »

Oldies is right that you'd really never wear a t-shirt to a normal church

Huh? When I was at my parents' church plenty of people besides me did.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 09:14:14 PM »

Depends on the church, obviously. The Reformation was a while ago. There are now many churches. It's no longer revolutionary to suggest that different churches may be different.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 09:16:06 PM »

In your church?  I don't think "inappropriate" is a concept.

I don't know. My slacks and blazer would probably get a few stares Tongue
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 09:17:51 PM »

I've never been to a church service.  

But, I don't think you can wear jeans or sneakers, much less a t-shirt to church.  It's disrespectful.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 09:19:51 PM »

I don't think it is, but I haven't been to a church since I was 7 years old and don't plan on ever going to one again.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 09:22:35 PM »

Only if you make a poll about it before you go.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 09:27:22 PM »

But, I don't think you can wear jeans or sneakers, much less a t-shirt to church.  It's disrespectful.

Then...the pastors are being disrespectful?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 09:51:25 PM »

It's not really taking the religion thing seriously.  Look at Jews, you got your tefillin, your tallis, your tzitzit, your yarmulke.  Or Muslims, they have the red-dyed beard and that prayer smock thing.  Or think of a nice restaurant even, those require a suit jacket, forget basic semi-formal attire.  It's a show of respect to wear special clothing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 09:55:10 PM »

But, I don't think you can wear jeans or sneakers, much less a t-shirt to church.  It's disrespectful.

It's not really taking the religion thing seriously.  Look at Jews, you got your tefillin, your tallis, your tzitzit, your yarmulke.  Or Muslims, they have the red-dyed beard and that prayer smock thing.  Or think of a nice restaurant even, those require a suit jacket, forget basic semi-formal attire.  It's a show of respect to wear special clothing.

But my point is how you described is exactly what the pastors at my church wear. Hell I've even seen people in hoodies preaching before. And seeing as how you live in Brooklyn, that's no doubt just as common at the churches near you as well, even if you've never been to any.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 09:55:57 PM »

Reform Judaism largely dispenses with the goofy garments. I presume there is some sort of liberal Muslim analogue. And many nice restaurants no longer require the stuffy attire. People who live by all these uptight rules are so boring. Live your life how you want to live it.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 09:57:14 PM »

FTR, I usually wear a pair of jeans, a plain colored t-shirt (albeit occasionally a dress shirt), a blazer, and my eagle harness cowboy boots when I go to service.  I've never gotten any slack for it but I did hear some compliments for the boots.  Part of this, though, is because I don't own many fancy clothes and can't really afford to buy new ones.  But, I'd never wear a band shirt or anything like that.  I don't wear band shirts, period. Tongue
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 10:01:34 PM »

But, I don't think you can wear jeans or sneakers, much less a t-shirt to church.  It's disrespectful.

Reform Judaism largely dispenses with the goofy garments. I presume there is some sort of liberal Muslim analogue. And many nice restaurants no longer require the stuffy attire. People who live by all these uptight rules are so boring. Live your life how you want to live it.

I've only been to mosques in America and Bangladesh, but in my experience dressing up to go to the mosque does not happen except on holidays. If clothing is appropriate for prayer, then it is appropriate to wear to the mosque.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 10:02:51 PM »

I don't think there's anything more boring than dressing like a slob all the time.  Obviously, sometimes it's fun to be creative with how you dress and it's nice to wear comfy clothes sometimes.  But, how you dress is a message to the world, whether you want to be sending it or not.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 10:06:29 PM »

But seriously dude, you live in the borough that has a church where the evening service is in a bar (a literal bar, as in they still have a bartender serving drinks through the service). You seriously think people get all dressed up for that? And that includes the pastor.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 10:10:01 PM »

I don't think there's anything more boring than dressing like a slob all the time.  Obviously, sometimes it's fun to be creative with how you dress and it's nice to wear comfy clothes sometimes.  But, how you dress is a message to the world, whether you want to be sending it or not.

Out of curiosity, bedstuy, did you have a Conservative Jewish upbringing?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 10:18:49 PM »

But seriously dude, you live in the borough that has a church where the evening service is in a bar (a literal bar, as in they still have a bartender serving drinks through the service). You seriously think people get all dressed up for that? And that includes the pastor.

I'm upper middle class, gay and Jewish.  Hardly anyone in my social circle goes to church more than once or twice a year.  And, religion is something you're not supposed to talk about anyway. 

In terms of people I come in contact with, the only people who are obviously going to church are dressed like this:

Out of curiosity, bedstuy, did you have a Conservative Jewish upbringing?

No, not at all.  I'm a 3rd generation secular Jew, I've only worn a yarmulke at funerals. 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 10:22:55 PM »

F[inks] you, you slob. This is sort of thinking has a lot to do with why the country's gone down the gutter. It needs to be eradicated, it's cancerous. BRTD is being ridiculous as usual.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 02:10:53 AM »

What church do you go to?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 07:32:11 AM »

Yes, if only because attention-whoring at church is impolite.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 08:53:30 AM »

But my point is how you described is exactly what the pastors at my church wear. Hell I've even seen people in hoodies preaching before. And seeing as how you live in Brooklyn, that's no doubt just as common at the churches near you as well, even if you've never been to any.

Just because your pastors hate God doesn't mean that it's right to do so.

In any case, these days, it's acceptable to wear all manner of casual attire to church, sadly enough. Nevertheless, even by those standards, I believe a shirt with the writing "drug church" on it would still be in appropriate.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 08:54:05 AM »

How's it attention whoring? It's just the first shirt I pulled from the clean laundry basket today which is how I always pick my shirt to wear for the day. The only time I pay attention to the shirt I pick is if I'm going to an event and want a fitting band shirt for a show or my BRTD one for Ingress ops.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies