Douthat: Stopping Campus Rape
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:50:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Douthat: Stopping Campus Rape
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Douthat: Stopping Campus Rape  (Read 4776 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2014, 10:29:59 AM »

I didn't know angus was married to someone from China! Either way, I don't think the driving age gets to the crux of the problem.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2014, 10:53:34 AM »

From RAINN (US's largest anti-rape org)SadQuote
You must be logged in to read this quote.

No one hurricane or flood can be specifically, proximately pinpointed as 100 percent the result of global warming, but obviously their increased occurrence, in aggregate, can be attributed to a warmer climate and higher oceans.  It's the same here.

This is what we call "missing the forest for the trees".  Or, perhaps, a political decision to gain the support of those folks who have an allergic reaction to feminist language- a decision that perhaps makes some limited pragmatic sense, but seems strategically counterproductive to me.

Though rape numbers have been decreasing rather than increasing, unlike the occurence of hurricanes. As culture is apparently such an important explanatory factor, can this decrease be attributed to cultural changes over the last few decades?

Well, statistics on sexual assault are super tricky, because they are (and have been) so under-reported, for various reasons.  But assuming the trend line is at least correct, than it's more than fair to make that hypothesis.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2014, 11:47:24 AM »

I live in a quasi urban area and there is literally no bus that could get me to my job. At best I'd still have 4 miles to walk. I could do that, by upon arrival my appearance would hadrly professional if it was raining or it was a really hot day.

Yeah, it'd be a bitch for me as well.  I did it once just to see what it was like.  It's a 30 minute ride from my place to the central bus station, where I had to change to another bus for another 30 minute ride.  Taking into account the 15 minute wait at the station, that's an hour and a quarter compared to the 25-minute trip by car, and it might involve getting a little cold or wet depending upon the weather, whereas my car is in a garage at home and parks on the low level of a garage at work.

I'll leave off the driving stories now, since as simfan points out it's a little off topic.  The problem we're talking about is rape on campus.  There may or may not be validity in lowering the drinking age.  I'd lower it anyway for a whole bunch of other good reasons but I'd also raise the driving age (which of course gets us off topic again...)

I mentioned legalizing prostitution earlier.  No one commented.  Is that way off the mark?  I like Douthat's second point as well, but I'm not sure that the third one will solve any problems or is even workable.

How do you say his name?  "Do that!"  "D'oh, tot."  "Dutatt."  I kinda like "Do that!"
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2014, 12:16:51 PM »

No one hurricane or flood can be specifically, proximately pinpointed as 100 percent the result of global warming, but obviously their increased occurrence, in aggregate, can be attributed to a warmer climate and higher oceans.  It's the same here.

This is what we call "missing the forest for the trees".  Or, perhaps, a political decision to gain the support of those folks who have an allergic reaction to feminist language- a decision that perhaps makes some limited pragmatic sense, but seems strategically counterproductive to me.

Though rape numbers have been decreasing rather than increasing, unlike the occurence of hurricanes. As culture is apparently such an important explanatory factor, can this decrease be attributed to cultural changes over the last few decades?

Yes.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2014, 02:22:27 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2014, 02:35:51 PM by Lurker »

No one hurricane or flood can be specifically, proximately pinpointed as 100 percent the result of global warming, but obviously their increased occurrence, in aggregate, can be attributed to a warmer climate and higher oceans.  It's the same here.

This is what we call "missing the forest for the trees".  Or, perhaps, a political decision to gain the support of those folks who have an allergic reaction to feminist language- a decision that perhaps makes some limited pragmatic sense, but seems strategically counterproductive to me.

Well, statistics on sexual assault are super tricky, because they are (and have been) so under-reported, for various reasons.  But assuming the trend line is at least correct, than it's more than fair to make that hypothesis.

Yes, they're clearly underreported, which makes it very difficult to know the true numbers. Still, unless they are less reported now than in the past (and I can't think of a good reason why that might be the case), the decline in reports of rape still looks very significant.

(This page claims a more than 50% drop in "recent years"Sadhttps://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/frequency-of-sexual-assault)
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2014, 04:33:56 PM »

Actually, he's wrong on both counts. There hasn't been any recent upward trend in hurricane or cyclonic activity.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2014, 08:50:37 AM »

Oh, Atlas.

Just pointing out that a sexually liberal environment really doesn't have to be an issue. In fact, I suspect rape happens more in sexually repressed environments for a variety of reasons. Just look at India, a country where it's illegal to kiss in public.

And all this nonsense about curfews or single-sex dorms...say what? THere is none of that here. The idea that if you allow men to hang around women rape is inevitable is precisely part of the rape culture that needs to be tackled.

TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2014, 06:05:18 AM »

Remember the 2012 election cycle, when the running joke was the GOP should avoid talking about rape at all costs? Well, the same is true for the Atlas Forum. Nothing that has been posted here is productive or insightful or useful.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies