SCOTUS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:28:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SCOTUS  (Read 2551 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:04:59 AM »

Both opinions from Alito per SCOTUSblog.  Either very good or very bad on the hobby lobby case depending on your pov.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:16:25 AM »

Probably not good.

While I don't think employers should be the ones providing healthcare, I find it very troubling that they would allow a company to opt out of a law they have already found to be Constitutional because of some religious objection. I read somewhere that it will be the first time in US History that the Court has allowed something like that, although I don't know if that is true or not. It is certainly egregious, nevertheless. 
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:20:44 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/30/supreme-court-unions_n_5533211.html

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 09:23:41 AM »

This sucks, not as awful as it could have been, but it still sucks.

Yay freeloading!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 09:26:54 AM »

From initial reports, the Hobby Lobby decision wasn't quite as bad as liberals may have feared, as it limited the scope to closely-held corporations (and presumably, sole-proprietors as well).
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 09:37:14 AM »

This is the best ruling the Supreme Court could have made.  For one, it allows families to retain freedom of religion even in the workplace.  It also doesn't force/allow other companies to do the same as Hobby Lobby.  It's about time the conservatives win a Supreme Court ruling.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 09:40:06 AM »

This is the best ruling the Supreme Court could have made.  For one, it allows families to retain freedom of religion even in the workplace.  It also doesn't force/allow other companies to do the same as Hobby Lobby.  It's about time the conservatives win a Supreme Court ruling.

You shouldn't be able to force your religion on your employees.

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 09:41:18 AM »

Ugh, the Harris v. Quinn ruling is great news (smash the unions and everything) but Bushie, as always, is just... ugh. I mean, this has nothing to do with "freedom of religion". Where on earth are you getting this from? "It's about time the conservatives win a Supreme Court ruling." This is not how the Supreme Court works!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 09:54:01 AM »

This is the best ruling the Supreme Court could have made.  For one, it allows families to retain freedom of religion even in the workplace.  It also doesn't force/allow other companies to do the same as Hobby Lobby.  It's about time the conservatives win a Supreme Court ruling.

Companies should not be forced to abandon their religious beliefs in favor of "women's rights." This does not trounce on women's rights.  Rather, it protects the rights of the unborn.  Unborn babies are living human beings and should be given the EXACT same rights as those living outside the womb.  The good news for liberals and the country is that it doesn't make the Hobby Lobby ruling a broad law.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 09:56:26 AM »

Ugh, the Harris v. Quinn ruling is great news (smash the unions and everything) but Bushie, as always, is just... ugh. I mean, this has nothing to do with "freedom of religion". Where on earth are you getting this from? "It's about time the conservatives win a Supreme Court ruling." This is not how the Supreme Court works!

Evangelical Christians have been beat up in this country with almost every ruling going against them and playing into the hands of godless liberals.  This is a fair and correct ruling, but a victory for Evangelical Christians.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 09:57:23 AM »

Evangelical Christians have been beat up in this country with almost every ruling going against them and playing into the hands of godless liberals.  This is a fair and correct ruling, but a victory for Evangelical Christians.

SHUT UP
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 09:58:58 AM »

The government shouldn't be able to force employers to provide healthcare.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 10:02:14 AM »

Probably not good.

While I don't think employers should be the ones providing healthcare, I find it very troubling that they would allow a company to opt out of a law they have already found to be Constitutional because of some religious objection. I read somewhere that it will be the first time in US History that the Court has allowed something like that, although I don't know if that is true or not. It is certainly egregious, nevertheless. 

I can't remember how many dozens of contraceptives are approved under Obamacare. Hobby Lobby is only objecting to several methods. It's not a big deal. Religious exemptions for certain birth control medications should have been granted from the outset, without SCOTUS.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 10:03:20 AM »

Companies should not be forced to abandon their religious beliefs in favor of "women's rights." This does not trounce on women's rights.  Rather, it protects the rights of the unborn.  Unborn babies are living human beings and should be given the EXACT same rights as those living outside the womb.  The good news for liberals and the country is that it doesn't make the Hobby Lobby ruling a broad law.

Rights of the unborn? Birth control isn't abortion! There is no conception of a fetus when birth control is used correctly. In fact,  birth control helps prevent abortion.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 10:04:02 AM »

The government shouldn't be able to force employers to provide healthcare.

This is true, the government should provide it to everyone. Good point AD!
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »

Today, a panel of elders, clad in traditional black robes, decreed that religious law may be used to trump prevailing civil law.

Meanwhile, in the Middle East, an Islamic State under Sharia law was established.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 10:14:50 AM »

This is true, the government should provide it to everyone. Good point AD!

Single-payer would technically be more inline with the constitutional framework than command-corporatism. Explain the push for higher minimum wage.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 11:00:16 AM »
« Edited: June 30, 2014, 11:27:33 AM by coyolxauhqui »

This is the best ruling the Supreme Court could have made.  For one, it allows families to retain freedom of religion even in the workplace.  It also doesn't force/allow other companies to do the same as Hobby Lobby.  It's about time the conservatives win a Supreme Court ruling.

Companies should not be forced to abandon their religious beliefs in favor of "women's rights." This does not trounce on women's rights.  Rather, it protects the rights of the unborn.  Unborn babies are living human beings and should be given the EXACT same rights as those living outside the womb.  The good news for liberals and the country is that it doesn't make the Hobby Lobby ruling a broad law.

a company can't have beliefs.

edit: also lol at the scare quotes
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 11:00:53 AM »

Seems like a bizarrely narrow decision given the scope of the logic that it's premised on. I mean, employers can refuse to buy contraception in the case of a religious objection, but a similar religious objection to some other medical treatment holds no water?
Reminds me of Bush v Gore.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 11:04:42 AM »

Probably want to laminate those charters for all the S-Corp baptisms to follow.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 11:12:17 AM »

This case goes too far. Hobby Lobby is not a religiously-affiliated institution so it ought to not be included in the exception.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 11:17:24 AM »

The idea that companies can have religious beliefs is ludicrously offensive and an insult to the very idea of law.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 11:25:15 AM »

COMPANIES ARE NOT PEOPLE
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 11:29:45 AM »

Religious exemptions for certain birth control medications should have been granted from the outset, without SCOTUS.

Disagree. I look at it through the opposite side of the prism, unsurprisingly. The employees should be protected from the religion of the guy at the top, not the guy at the top given reign to push his religious beliefs on the employees.

I'm deeply skeptical of religious exemptions as well since I think they are a cop-out. In this instance, the health department trumps the religion of some guy in Oklahoma or Kentucky somewhere who owns a business and wants to discriminate.

Well, get ready more of these, folks! And hope against hope that one of these five will resign in the foreseeable future. Heh. Won't hold my breath.

Seems like a bizarrely narrow decision given the scope of the logic that it's premised on. I mean, employers can refuse to buy contraception in the case of a religious objection, but a similar religious objection to some other medical treatment holds no water?

Smacks of Kennedy honestly. Yeah, and also one kind of business versus another kind of business; this is an instance of religious expression by a company, but that is not. This company can do it, but that company cannot.

Pbbbbbbbbt. Bizzarre-o.
CJK
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 11:48:23 AM »

Extremely upset that they dismissed the case about gay conversion therapy. I am fed up with the courts pandering to homosexual ideology at all costs. First they stealth-legalized gay marriage, in one of most illogical, atrocious decisions in court history. Now they go on and legitimize depriving free speech rights to people counseling homosexuals.

And remember, this from a "conservative" court.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies