Have you ever had a crazy teacher/professor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:54:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Have you ever had a crazy teacher/professor?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Have you ever had a crazy teacher/professor?  (Read 2911 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 03:20:29 PM »

How do I convey the craziness of Peter Campbell...?

He didn't believe in deodorant and would shout at people over their guilt in the destruction of Aboriginal society. Yet he still managed to be one of the coolest profs I've ever had.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2014, 05:20:16 PM »

My college professor once said that young people should be barred from voting because they don't turnout out enough like 65+ people and they don't "pay attention". He also said that regular people know more about the Kardashians than their government, and while I think he's crazy on the barred comment, he may be right on the politically disengaged: 

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/07/poll-political-bystander-108605.html?hp=l9
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2014, 09:40:13 PM »

The one that still cheeses me off most was a teacher my senior year who taught some advanced history classes like History of Modern Russia. On a 30 point test about the privileged nature of Communist Party high-ranking apparatchiks (Read "The Russians" by Hedrik Smith), he dinged me for misspelling the word "privilege(d)"---ALL 7 TIMES I MISPELLED IT! Angry He likewise dinged me for a similar minor spelling error I made twice. A total of 9 points he took off out of 30, turning what even he admitted was as complete knowledge of the subject matter as anyone in the class, from an A+ to a C F$%king minus--over essentially two freaking SPELLING errors.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2022, 07:55:22 PM »

None that were really crazy, but a few odd ones:

A high school physics teacher who managed to lock himself into the supply closet more than once.  He also had a habit of going into the chem lab and mixing up his own aspirin whenever he got a headache, which was often.

A college English professor who was quite capable and interesting, but shortly afterward was indicted for embezzling a large amount of money from a business he was associated with.

A college instructor who was so bad that I wrote on the end-of-course survey: "As a teacher, Mr. ______ has negative value.  Most of the students knew less about electronics at the end of the semester than they did at the beginning."
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2022, 09:39:40 AM »
« Edited: March 03, 2022, 09:44:03 AM by Nutmeg »

My 8th grade history teacher, who had a PhD and previously had taught at the university level, would be in the middle of a sentence in a lecture, then pause and leave the room without a word. He would walk around the building and return, picking up with the very next word in the interrupted sentence. It was a wild rhetorical strategy.

My 4th grade math teacher completed suicide. Most of us students thought it was our fault somehow. I personally kept reflecting on how I couldn't for the life of me remember the difference between > and <, which I recall was a point of frustration for my teacher (I otherwise was the best student in the class). So that took some time to process and understand that others' mental health is not necessarily our fault.

My mentor in undergrad was in his 90s at the time and insisted that we meet every Friday for lunch of Welsh rarebit and Caesar salad (which he always pronounced "kay-sar") at the faculty club, for which I had to acquire a sport coat (that in hindsight was 2 sizes too large on me). He was such an inspiration in a Dead Poets' Society sort of way but only wanted to discuss big ideas and give me an A in the 3 classes I took with him rather than actually assign any sort of coursework. The benefits of a liberal arts focus, I suppose.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2022, 11:31:23 AM »

Interestingly enough, my psychology professor in college was full batsh**t crazy.  Eventually drummed out of the University, which ain't easy with a tenured professor.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies