Would you watch a musical written by Lena Dunham?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:44:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you watch a musical written by Lena Dunham?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you watch a musical written by Lena Dunham?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Would you watch a musical written by Lena Dunham?  (Read 768 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2014, 11:25:11 AM »

F[inks] yes. She might be the only person who could write a musical and I'd want to see it unless Seth MacFarlane counts. I'm sure even a Tarantino musical would suck. A Dunham musical would also have way better music than most musicals.

Funnily enough I've actually thought myself what songs would be in a musical written by me if I ever did one...if I was a screenwriter I actually might've tried it. I decided that this, this and this would be necessities.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 11:46:30 AM »

Maybe.  I don't think being a television writer necessarily translates to writing musicals.  Although, I saw the Book of Mormon recently and that's a great show.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 12:04:29 PM »

Ugh. I refuse to watch that because of the morons who wrote it.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 12:33:12 PM »

Is there any indication that she can compose music, or write lyrics that scan and rhyme half-decently? I mean, I guess she would probably be okay at writing the book for a musical, but nothing more than that, and I probably still wouldn't want to see a musical with a book based on Lena Dunham's tastes and interests as a writer.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 12:42:09 PM »

Right after I vote that Red should not be banned, this.  Ugh.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 04:03:43 PM »

Yes
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 08:11:25 PM »

Is there any indication that she can compose music, or write lyrics that scan and rhyme half-decently? I mean, I guess she would probably be okay at writing the book for a musical, but nothing more than that, and I probably still wouldn't want to see a musical with a book based on Lena Dunham's tastes and interests as a writer.

I actually was thinking in terms of a jukebox musical, like I'd write. Like see my example songs above. That's probably along the lines of what you'd expect she'd use. Worth noting though that they mostly do not use rhyming lyrics.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 08:13:05 PM »

Right after I vote that Red should not be banned, this.  Ugh.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »

I actually was thinking in terms of a jukebox musical, like I'd write. Like see my example songs above. That's probably along the lines of what you'd expect she'd use. Worth noting though that they mostly do not use rhyming lyrics.

Then still no, because I don't like jukebox musicals very much in general, just as a matter of personal taste.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 08:20:57 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2014, 08:23:10 PM by the blue man group won't cure depression »

Then still no, because I don't like jukebox musicals very much in general, just as a matter of personal taste.

The only reason why I'd prefer them is because hypothetically someone could write one with music I like. It has yet to happen, but it theoretically could.

Actually there is one musical I liked and it had original music, Once. Although granted many episodes of Seth MacFarlane shows and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic are musicals too and I like those.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 08:25:49 PM »

Actually there is one musical I liked and it had original music, Once.

...Maybe there's hope for you yet.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »

I can't abide musicals generally, so probably not.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 08:37:46 PM »

Anyone familiar with my actual film and musical tastes instead of just general impressions (which is not many people on this forum, basically just Tweed, Boris and Alcon) would not find that very surprising.

I'll guess that even though Seth MacFarlane has proven himself capable of composing and writing musical numbers before, Nathan would still not watch a musical written by him.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 08:45:42 PM »

Anyone familiar with my actual film and musical tastes instead of just general impressions (which is not many people on this forum, basically just Tweed, Boris and Alcon) would not find that very surprising.

I'll guess that even though Seth MacFarlane has proven himself capable of composing and writing musical numbers before, Nathan would still not watch a musical written by him.

I'm more surprised that you like something Irish Smiley
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 09:03:24 PM »

I'm more surprised that you like something Irish Smiley

I actually once found a very cute girl (if you don't mind the multi-colored hair streaks) from Ireland on last.fm once and brought her up to oakvale as an example of the type of person that oakvale insists that NOBODY in Ireland is like. Basically her profile had lots of Christian hardcore and started out with things like "I am so filled and have been set free by the love of Jesus Christ!"...lots of Bible quotes...stuff about how she loves this band because SICK MOSH PARTS! In all fairness tough I've always been attacking Ireland for lacking a scene so kind of expected, felt kind of bad for her in that she probably doesn't get all that many shows unless she visits Britain a lot. Ah well, I made due in North Dakota for the longest time.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 10:17:32 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2014, 10:42:19 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

I actually find that MacFarlane has admirable taste in melodies, and think he combines poor taste in what his lyrics should say with reasonably good taste in how they should say it. If he wrote the songs for a musical over whose plot and themes somebody else had creative control I'd definitely at least consider it. I can't stand his body of work as a whole but I don't summarily reject everything in which he has been or could conceivably be involved the way you do with Trey Parker and Matt Stone. You are however correct in guessing that I'd avoid a musical over whose plot and themes MacFarlane did have creative control like the plague.

I really liked Once and I'm glad that you did too.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies