Opinion of the United States Constitution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:43:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the United States Constitution
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Opinion of the United States Constitution
Freedom Constitution

Horrible Constitution

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Opinion of the United States Constitution  (Read 2683 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 04:14:18 AM »

HC, largely because I don't approve of written constitutions.

That's all fine-and-dandy in your fancy-pants unitary state, but your really can't have  federal system without way of distributing powers, at a minimum

It's not like it actually could work in unitary states either. Even the UK does have a few written constitutional documents.

I should perhaps amend my statement to disliking the idea of constitutions such as that of the United States (which are now comparatively common throughout the democratic world) is twofold - firstly they're fairly difficult to amend (in comparison to the British system, which allows for the legislature to change the 'constitution' via a simple legislative majority'. Secondly, they often form the basis for 'judicial review' of government legislation, which I'm also highly iffy about in general.

Simple majority amendments are rather dangerous and vulnerable to whims of the temporary majority. As for judicial review, once again it is another critical means to protect the minority from the majority. In my view, the UK has too few checks on the power and authority of the simple majority, having rendered Her Majesty completely powerless as well as the House of Lords. We tend to see those very checks and balances as one of the most desirable aspects of our governing document. Wink
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 05:03:41 AM »

That's all fine-and-dandy in your fancy-pants unitary state, but your really can't have  federal system without way of distributing powers, at a minimum

It's not like it actually could work in unitary states either. Even the UK does have a few written constitutional documents.

I should perhaps amend my statement to disliking the idea of constitutions such as that of the United States (which are now comparatively common throughout the democratic world) is twofold - firstly they're fairly difficult to amend (in comparison to the British system, which allows for the legislature to change the 'constitution' via a simple legislative majority'. Secondly, they often form the basis for 'judicial review' of government legislation, which I'm also highly iffy about in general.

Simple majority amendments are rather dangerous and vulnerable to whims of the temporary majority. As for judicial review, once again it is another critical means to protect the minority from the majority. In my view, the UK has too few checks on the power and authority of the simple majority, having rendered Her Majesty completely powerless as well as the House of Lords. We tend to see those very checks and balances as one of the most desirable aspects of our governing document. Wink

Well, I do endorse, strongly, the need for checks and balances; but I don't think that extensive judicial review and a single written constitutional document that is difficult to amend are the right way to go about this. No, I would rather see the powers of the executive and the upper house strengthened (in the latter case, the idea of the upper house serving as a balance to the lower informs my opinion that it should not be elected, as in the case of the executive), to balance out the power of the lower house. In that way, I think there would be more in the way of checks and balances; but, it would still be a more straight forward (and more easily negotiable) system than in the United States.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 05:09:24 AM »

I'm solidly in the "it's fine, was great, could be better but can only imagine the train wreck it would be if rewritten today" camp.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 07:12:00 AM »

Highly progressive (especially with regards to the Bill of Rights) for its time, but badly in need of massive revision or a replacement at this point.
What do you want to revise/replace?

Well for starters making the Senate far less grossly unrepresentative and/or reducing its powers, abolishing the Electoral College, possibly adopting a parliamentary system, and reducing the excessive powers given to states whose boundaries do not even remotely reflect actual realities.
What powers do you want to take away from the States?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 08:35:55 AM »

Considering that included slaves in the Census at all (3/5 of them is better than nothing), it was very progressive.  It may be considered racist by today's standards, but people were more racist back then anyway.  The founding fathers at least recognized women and minorities as people, even if they were inferior.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 09:00:18 AM »

Considering that included slaves in the Census at all (3/5 of them is better than nothing), it was very progressive.

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2014, 09:22:19 AM »

Considering that included slaves in the Census at all (3/5 of them is better than nothing), it was very progressive.  It may be considered racist by today's standards, but people were more racist back then anyway.  The founding fathers at least recognized women and minorities as people, even if they were inferior.
Do you know why slaves where included in the census? It's hardly progressive
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2014, 09:47:57 AM »

FC
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2014, 02:23:00 AM »

Considering that included slaves in the Census at all (3/5 of them is better than nothing), it was very progressive. 

You are going the wrong direction. The higher the number is not less racist/more progressive, therefore it is rather terrible to say 3/5 is better than nothing, because no it is not. Nothing would be preferrable for the slave, the progressive, the real Conservative (I have explained why before. Will do so again if requested) and any decent human being who sees all people as people, if not because slavely itself is immoral and shouldn't exist, then from the the purely practical side. Slaves by definition cannot vote, slave owners can, counting slaves for population purposes serves one purposes and one purpose only, to increase the hold of slave power on the House of Representatives and make it harder not easier to abolish.

Southerners were pushing for the higher number (100%) whilst Northerners wanted it even lower (0%), at the same time Southerners didn't want to count them for taxation purposes whilest the North did. I highly doubt that southerners werep ushing for the higher number because it was more "progressive than zero".
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2014, 02:30:10 AM »

Well, I do endorse, strongly, the need for checks and balances; but I don't think that extensive judicial review and a single written constitutional document that is difficult to amend are the right way to go about this. No, I would rather see the powers of the executive and the upper house strengthened (in the latter case, the idea of the upper house serving as a balance to the lower informs my opinion that it should not be elected, as in the case of the executive), to balance out the power of the lower house. In that way, I think there would be more in the way of checks and balances; but, it would still be a more straight forward (and more easily negotiable) system than in the United States.

How would you structure say the House of Lords? I would note that if you had the protections for the House of Lords, that our Constitution does for the Senate (a state cannot be dperived of equaly represenatation in said SEnate without its approval, basicalyl a unnanimous consent requirement), it would have been rather difficult for the House of Lords to have been so eroded in power over the years. Tongue

The way I look at out, democratizing our balancing institutions has helped to preserve their existance and state gov'ts should reflect the people of their states anyway, therefore it is not contradictory to the goal of the Senate to represent the states to have them elected statewide. If anything it brings them closer to the interests of their state and our system is not about balancing institutions that exist only for the sake of intsitutions, but competing interests like those of the states versus the national majority.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2014, 12:52:31 PM »

Highly progressive (especially with regards to the Bill of Rights) for its time, but badly in need of massive revision or a replacement at this point.

Well for starters making the Senate far less grossly unrepresentative and/or reducing its powers, abolishing the Electoral College, possibly adopting a parliamentary system, and reducing the excessive powers given to states whose boundaries do not even remotely reflect actual realities.

For example funding for education shuld be done on a metropolitan rather than on a state level. Same with things like transportation policy. Meanwhile certain programs such as Medicaid ought to be federalized (but administered on a local basis) to avoid massive inequalities in quality between the states.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2014, 02:49:18 PM »

For example funding for education shuld be done on a metropolitan rather than on a state level. Same with things like transportation policy. Meanwhile certain programs such as Medicaid ought to be federalized (but administered on a local basis) to avoid massive inequalities in quality between the states.
So you want to constitutionally ban States from funding education? You want to pass a constitutional amendment requiring that Medicaid be federalized? These seem like policy issues, not constitutional issues.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2014, 09:32:10 PM »

So you want to constitutionally ban States from funding education? You want to pass a constitutional amendment requiring that Medicaid be federalized? These seem like policy issues, not constitutional issues.

Those are just examples, my main opinion is that the current secondary and tertiary levels of government in the United States should be reorganized either by redrawing state boundaries or giving powers to new entities, which are difficult given the 10th Amendment.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2014, 07:06:34 AM »

Those are just examples, my main opinion is that the current secondary and tertiary levels of government in the United States should be reorganized either by redrawing state boundaries or giving powers to new entities, which are difficult given the 10th Amendment.
You keep dodging the question...if you want to get rid of the Tenth Amendment, what constitutional powers do the States currently have that you think they shouldn't have?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2014, 08:37:28 AM »

FC (particularly as I'm quite fond of the Bill of Rights and the 14th Amendment), but it needs to be amended insofar as the structure of government goes. I'd prefer we adopt a parliamentary system of government, although I'd be willing to keep the Senate as it is. I'd leave the amendments as they are (to avoid opening that Pandora's box), minus those that would be redundant. I'd also prefer we consolidate all voting rights amendments into a single amendment that protects the absolute right of everyone 18+ to vote.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2014, 06:54:30 PM »

No that was not fairly progressive even for the time (fairly progressive was abolishing slavery as the French did or serfdom as Denmark and Austria did), especially not as the whole 3/5 was included as a compromise between states with large slave population and states with low, and it served primary as a way to increase the voting power their owners. That's not progressive, that's a return to medieval norms.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2014, 06:58:34 PM »

In desperate need of an overhaul
Princess Nyan Cat
nyancat
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: 4.35

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2014, 11:15:46 PM »

Freedom Constitution (I feel like this place is becoming farther left every day)

Couldn't agree more!
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2014, 02:02:24 AM »

Freedom Constitution (I feel like this place is becoming farther left every day)

Couldn't agree more!

I thought you had left the forum on the account of such. Anyway it is good to see you posting again.
Marnetmar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -8.24

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2014, 08:53:32 AM »

FC (sane)
Princess Nyan Cat
nyancat
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: 4.35

« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »

Couldn't agree more!

I thought you had left the forum on the account of such. Anyway it is good to see you posting again.

I didn't know anyone had even noticed me! I don't have a lot of time to post in places like this. I just update my predictions from time to time.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2014, 10:23:38 PM »

Couldn't agree more!

Seriously, when I first joined I was so excited and impressed that this seemed a relatively well balanced and sensible forum that wasn't interested in hackery, revisionist history or any other favorite activity of those whose views are so radical they aren't capable of finding common ground.

As for the OP, a very easy and very sure FC.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2014, 05:05:36 AM »

Outdated.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2014, 07:18:56 PM »

FC (normal American)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2014, 11:51:15 PM »

Obviously a deeply flawed document, and a product of its time, the elite group who wrote it, etc. Still, it's useful to study, if only to gain more of an appreciation for the foundations of the American political and legal systems.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies