SENATE BILL: Fair Hiring Act of 2014 (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:57:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Fair Hiring Act of 2014 (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Fair Hiring Act of 2014 (Law'd)  (Read 3848 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2014, 12:12:51 AM »
« edited: July 26, 2014, 05:57:40 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: TNF
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 12:15:31 AM »

Talk to me TNF, what is this?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 11:08:48 AM »

This is a bill to give workers the opportunity to negotiate over hiring practices in collective bargaining agreements. These are still fairly common in some of the skilled trades, but they used to be employed even in industrial settings, which is something I would like to see brought back, and expanded. This bill does not require every employer to adopt a hiring hall, it only explicitly makes possible a hiring hall as something that can be negotiated for as part of a collective bargaining agreement.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 11:11:44 AM »

So the union would decide who gets hired by the company?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 11:57:38 AM »

The way I think a hiring hall works is the onus is on the union to find qualified people who can and will do the work required (as well as fit in well), and then the union sends them on to the manager or boss or hiring committee as the last stop. That's how I understand it anyway, so it's like a two-part process. TNF can correct me if I'm wrong. I've actually not seen that, but I have seen members of staff on hiring committees, and generally staff approval is sought before the final decision is made to hire the person. It works, in my experience, because staffers know what the job actually entails from a hands-on perspective.  
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 12:12:26 AM »

Wait, so are we giving workers the unilateral option to create this hiring hall environment, or is this implied to be part of a CBA?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 12:03:03 PM »

So the union would decide who gets hired by the company?

Assuming that the union negotiated for and won a hiring hall in the process of collective bargaining, yes.

Wait, so are we giving workers the unilateral option to create this hiring hall environment, or is this implied to be part of a CBA?

Implied to be a part of the CBA. Not every industry will have a hiring hall; this just ensures that all workers have the opportunity to bargain for one.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 02:41:35 AM »

I don't think this is such a bad idea, but I would amend it ^^ Would any Senator be so kind to sponsor this? Smiley

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 04:05:38 AM »

Sure, I'll offer it for you.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 11:41:56 AM »

Thank you Senator ^^ We'll have to wait until TNF comes back, right?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 02:37:14 PM »

The way Section 1 is worded is a bit confusing. To be clear, this would require all employers who have a collective bargaining agreement with a union for any reason, to automatically accept the establishment of a hiring hall, even if said agreement says nothing about that?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 03:37:17 PM »

The way Section 1 is worded is a bit confusing. To be clear, this would require all employers who have a collective bargaining agreement with a union for any reason, to automatically accept the establishment of a hiring hall, even if said agreement says nothing about that?

No, it would not. It would simply allow the union to make that part of the agreement.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 03:49:53 PM »

No, it would not. It would simply allow the union to make that part of the agreement.
That isn't the way it's worded though. Plus, why do you need a law to do that? Isn't it already legal for unions to try and negotiate an agreement that establishes a hiring hall?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 03:50:24 PM »

That does seem to be the way it is worded.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 03:51:59 PM »

Yeah, all of this is redundant. No one can discriminate against anyone anyway, we don't need new legislation to reaffirm that.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 01:43:14 AM »

Yeah, all of this is redundant. No one can discriminate against anyone anyway, we don't need new legislation to reaffirm that.

No, but a hiring hall essentially farms the hiring process out to the union.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2014, 11:52:34 AM »

What is the benefit of unions deciding who gets hired?
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2014, 06:47:11 PM »

That isn't the way it's worded though. Plus, why do you need a law to do that? Isn't it already legal for unions to try and negotiate an agreement that establishes a hiring hall?

It is legal for them to negotiate it, but that's not a guarantee that they'll get what they want from the negotiation. That's the point of the bill... I think. Hope I've helped. If not, ask TNF when he comes back ^^
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2014, 06:29:37 AM »

Windjammer, since amendment votes are only three days maximum now, if you feel it appropriate to proceed, you can open a vote on Amendment 61:74. It has been on the floor for 24 hours and in the absence of friendly designation by the bill sponsor it can just be considered as hostile and a vote proceeded with.

I recall TNF said today or tomorrow he would return.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2014, 08:39:36 AM »

[/quote]

Sponsor Feedback: Hostile
Status: A Vote is now open on the underlying legislation, SEnators please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »

The idea is that the union has a better idea of the vocation than management, and thus can efficiently assign the best worker to the position.

Naturally, management has a say in allowing this to happen, so it's a pretty fair deal. The CBA is a mutual agreement, after all.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 08:20:46 PM »

Abstain

I'm not sure I really mind the amendment, I'm not sure why the amendment is necessary, and I'm not sure I really know why TNF objected.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 09:49:22 PM »

The idea is that the union has a better idea of the vocation than management, and thus can efficiently assign the best worker to the position.

Naturally, management has a say in allowing this to happen, so it's a pretty fair deal. The CBA is a mutual agreement, after all.
The CBA may be a mutual agreement, but under the current text, the mere fact of having a CBA would require the establishment of a hiring hall (at the request of the union), even if the CBA said nothing about that.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »

Aye

President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 11:36:15 PM »

The CBA may be a mutual agreement, but under the current text, the mere fact of having a CBA would require the establishment of a hiring hall (at the request of the union), even if the CBA said nothing about that.

I'll propose an amendment after the vote.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies