Multi-Member Congressional Districts (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:48:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Multi-Member Congressional Districts (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Multi-Member Congressional Districts  (Read 35502 times)
Kevinstat

« on: September 26, 2014, 07:23:43 PM »
« edited: September 26, 2014, 07:34:08 PM by Kevinstat »

I thought once about doing (in the Political Geography & Demographics board) a Trond-style redistricting thread, from 1930 on like his Kingdom Cum thread (or maybe from 1910 on as there have been 435 House seats since then except for new members for Alaska and Hawaii when they first became states) called "Color me Green: Irish Green"* (perhaps with "Multi-Member Congressional Districts" in the subject heading) based on this exact premise, but never got around to it.  Kudos to you, Figs, for finally mentioning this idea on the forum!

*The Republic of Ireland uses Single Transferable Vote for lower (and principal) house, the Dáil Éireann, with multi-member districts of, you guessed it, 3 to 5 members.  A couple years ago, I started a big Excel table of all the possibilities of the numbers of 3-seaters, 4-seaters and 5-seaters which eventually covered (a) total state congressional allotments from 3-60, (b) any of the possible sizes of the Dáil going into both the last Constituency Commission with a reduced Dáil size (153-160 TDs), and (c) for the 166 TDs the Dáil Éireann has had since the first Constituency Commission and the 1981 election (until this most recent Constituency Commission, the boundaries drawn by which will first be used in the next general election, probably next year).  It has over 2800 rows.  Another sheet in that workbook went from 5-7 and 10-20 total members with the 5-7 member/district range that Northern Ireland uses for its multi-member districts in local government elections (the rules would have to be adjusted in this case for 8 or 9 members, as well as less than 5), plus the 40, 41 and 60 members elected to various councils under the new 11-council model.  I'm a geek, I know.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies