Who will win the 2014 FIFA World Cup?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:02:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Who will win the 2014 FIFA World Cup?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who will win the 2014 FIFA World Cup?
Brazil

Colombia

France

Germany

Netherlands

Costa Rica

Argentina

Belgium

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Who will win the 2014 FIFA World Cup?  (Read 1733 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2014, 05:54:30 PM »

Now that we're down to the final eight teams.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 05:55:55 PM »

Hard to say, but at this point I'll say the Netherlands. Colombia has a good shot though.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 05:57:06 PM »

France or Brazil over Netherlands. France or Brazil winning.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 05:58:44 PM »

Germany or The Netherlands. Voted Germany.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 06:04:04 PM »

Colombia have been the only team that look consistently good.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 06:05:25 PM »

Colombia looks like it has the best shot to me (no pun intended). Germany's gotten a lot of hype, lots of it deserved, but it's getting to their heads.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 06:50:34 PM »

Deutschland, naturlich.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 07:01:37 PM »

Whoever wins the Colombia-Brazil quarterfinal will win the World Cup.
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 07:11:14 PM »

Colombia or Germany.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 07:15:11 PM »

LOL@the poll. Colombia is leading and Argentina the only country with no votes.

I think Holland. Not because they are particularly brilliant, but because I get a 'It's time' feel with them.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 08:34:47 PM »

Aside from Costa Rica, any match of the remaining 7 looks fairly even. Following that logic, that means the Netherlands is the best bet to win, followed by Argentina and Belgium. But since I'm an illogical person, I'll vote for Costa Rica to win. Also don't want to knock Colombia from the lead of this poll.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 08:35:42 PM »

Colombia and they absolutely deserve it.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 08:39:13 PM »

Voted for Colombia because they are who I want to win the World Cup (And I think they have a chance), I guess that the team that will win the world cup will be some horrible team like Brazil, Germany or the Netherlands.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 08:47:21 PM »

I guess Germany.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 08:51:41 PM »

According to 538, Brazil is a 39% favorite, followed by Argentina at 20%.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 08:54:04 PM »

haha, good one.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 08:59:59 PM »

haha, good one.

It's based on ESPN's Soccer Power Index, which, like everything related to ESPN, is terrible.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »

haha, good one.

It's based on ESPN's Soccer Power Index, which, like everything related to ESPN, is terrible.

That's only part of it. It also includes homefield advantage, how good the individual players are on the team, and how they've been doing in the World Cup so far. And 538's probabilities have been very good so far this Cup.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2014, 09:39:31 PM by Edu »

haha, good one.

That's only part of it. It also includes homefield advantage, how good the individual players are on the team, and how they've been doing in the World Cup so far. And 538's probabilities have been very good so far this Cup.

I don't really know what the ESPN Soccer Power Index is, but it sounds dumb.
The thing is that for instance I don't even know what Homefield advantage means. We haven't won a major international tournament that was hosted by Brazil in like...ever I think. Certainly we haven't won a World Cup or a Copa America in Brazil. Maybe he means advantage because we are playing in South America? Well, apart from 1930 (a very primitive World Cup) and 1978 (we were playing at Argentina under a dictatorship that obviously rigged a couple of matches), we haven't done that well in World Cups in South America. Brazil and Argentina for the most part don't even have the same climate.
And considering the long standing rivalry and animosity between Argentina and Brazil, the fact that the World Cup is being held in Brazil shouldn't be that much of an advantage if any.

"How good individual players are on the team?"? has this guy been watching what I watched? If it weren't for Messi we would be absolutely disastrous. Apart from a few shines by Lavezzi, Di Maria and Romero we have been pretty crappy, not really playing as a team but as a bunch of guys trying to outhit the ball (and doing it poorly by the way)

We beat Bosnia, Iran, Nigeria and Switzerland...LOL World Cup contenders they are not.

Maybe Silvers probabilities have been very good so far, but to consider Argentina the Second favorite, despite having Belgium and Netherlands as potential opponent (and of course a bunch of other teams on the other half to beat in the final) makes me believe that Snowstalker is right and maybe he's been paying too much attention to the ESPN Soccer ratings of whatever.

Of course this may also mean that I don't know anything about probability and statistics which is also posible Grin

Sorry if this is a somewhat incoherent posts, I'm a little bit drunk right now Tongue
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 10:10:28 PM »

haha, good one.

The thing is that for instance I don't even know what Homefield advantage means. We haven't won a major international tournament that was hosted by Brazil in like...ever I think. Certainly we haven't won a World Cup or a Copa America in Brazil. Maybe he means advantage because we are playing in South America? Well, apart from 1930 (a very primitive World Cup) and 1978 (we were playing at Argentina under a dictatorship that obviously rigged a couple of matches), we haven't done that well in World Cups in South America. Brazil and Argentina for the most part don't even have the same climate.
And considering the long standing rivalry and animosity between Argentina and Brazil, the fact that the World Cup is being held in Brazil shouldn't be that much of an advantage if any.

"How good individual players are on the team?"? has this guy been watching what I watched? If it weren't for Messi we would be absolutely disastrous. Apart from a few shines by Lavezzi, Di Maria and Romero we have been pretty crappy, not really playing as a team but as a bunch of guys trying to outhit the ball (and doing it poorly by the way)

We beat Bosnia, Iran, Nigeria and Switzerland...LOL World Cup contenders they are not.

Yeah, but you could say something pretty similar about every other team except the Dutch.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 10:23:18 PM »

haha, good one.

Yeah, but you could say something pretty similar about every other team except the Dutch.

Not really, Brazil isn't playing well, but they certainly destroyed Cameroon. Colombia Cruised trough their group and beat Uruguay decisively. Costa Rica beat Uruguay and Italy, two strong teams when everyone was expecting them to go out in the first round. France has been pretty great. Germany did destroy Portugal, had an entertaining match with Ghana and beat the US, then it had an entertaining match against Algeria. Belgium didn't have any great matches and it's similar to us in a number of ways, burt they have a good offense and a good defence, we have a crap defence and I would only consider us slightly favorites over them.

The fact is that with the team we have we should have cruised trough the group and the round of 16th, instead every damn match was a torture where we got bailed by Messi (even  in the Switzerland match the goal came from a great pass by him)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 05:09:15 AM »

Either Colombia or Holland.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 05:15:20 AM »

Either Colombia or Germany
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 06:10:54 AM »

Germany, for mine.

Still somewhat unconvinced about Columbia at the final punch.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 06:52:29 AM »

Germany, for mine.

Still somewhat unconvinced about Columbia at the final punch.

Understandable. But Colombia should be fine.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies