President Thomas Dewey and Beyond
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:08:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  President Thomas Dewey and Beyond
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: President Thomas Dewey and Beyond  (Read 10399 times)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 10, 2004, 12:54:48 PM »

Its proably best for me to start my own thread i though rather than just post this as a reply to PBrunsel's Timline (Dont worry i'll delete my earlier positing Smiley )… What do you guys think of this?

1948-1956 : Thomas Dewey/ Earl Warren (Republican)

The US still enters the Korean war, as the “red terror” is at its height and while the economy booms (Dewey repealing many of the now outdated elements of the New Deal) the right of the party lead by the Arizona Senator Barry Goldwater is still suspicious of what Goldwater scathingly dubs a “Dime Store New Deal” referring to the retention of many legacies from the FDR administrations. The Korean war goes pretty much as it did before, Dewey initially overawed by Douglas McArthur soon is forced to adopt an attitude similar to that Truman did, the War ends at about the same time it did in reality. In 1952 the Democratic candidate is Illinois Governor Adlai Stevenson II, despite many Americans warming to the scholarly and spirited Stevenson, Dewey wins a solid victory over the Illinois Governor. Between 1952-1956 the right of the GOP still berates Dewey for his “liberalism” however Goldwater and his supporters are still firmly in a minority and with the Democrats retaking congress in 1952 Dewey is further constrained in what he can do. Like Ike Dewey initiates some movement towards civil rights for African Americans, but is largely obstructed by Dixicrats within congress, despite some support from northern democrats.  

1956-1960 : Earl Warren/ Henry Cabot Lodge (Republican)

Defeating the Democratic nominee Hubert Humphries in a close race the popular, personable Warren pursues a tough foreign policy while working to build upon the achievements of Dewey in the field of civil rights. However the post war boom is slowing down (largly thanks to the amount of spending by the federal government) … Warren who began his term as a popular former VP becomes caricatured as removed and aloof from ordinary Americans, Democrats hammer him on being weak on defence and a soft touch on communism, added to this the glamorous, Hawkish Massachusetts Senator Jack Kennedy wins the democratic nomination and soon Warrens poll numbers being to sink in head to head match ups… even Warren’s good performances in the first televised presidential debates cannot help him and he is defeated by the democratic ticket of John F Kennedy/ Al Gore…

1960-1963 : John F Kennedy/ Al Gore (Democratic)

In his brief two years and half in office Kennedy delivered on many of his promises… he introduces a rise in the largely worthless minimum wage, he pushed through a tax cut which helped the economy on its way to recovery and also pushed through legalisation which offered incentives to companies and contractors to invest in the poorer regions of the country and by doing this help to bring jobs to these regions. In foreign affairs Kennedy backed up his hawkish remarks during the election with tough stances against the Soviets at the Vienna conference, in Berlin and most importantly in the Cuban missile crisis of 1962. However despite all his achievements and a notable failure in the defeat of his Medicare bill Kennedy, who was looking like a virtual lock for re-election, was shot in late 1963 as his car drove through Dallas Texas.

1963-1972 : Al Gore/ Edmund Muskie (Democratic)

Vice President Al Gore was sworn into office within minutes of news of President Kennedy’s death reaching his home in Nashville Tennessee. Gore resisted calls by some on the left of the party to attempt to hammer through some radical proposals and instead continued very much in the vein of the moderately liberal but hawkish Kennedy. In foreign affairs, Gore offered limited support to the south Vietnamese government however refused to acquiesce to the demands of many in the pentagon to a slow escalation of forces in south east Asia. The economy continued to grow and while President Gore never inspired or excited the American public in the same way as had the late president Kennedy many respected the aging southerner moderate especially as he cautiously pressed through further civil rights legislation. The nomination of the radically libertarian Arizona Senator and defacto leader of the right of the GOP Barry Goldwater (to say he was a conservative is not absolutely right… but he was principled and I respect him for that) practically assured the moderate Gore of re-election, however he never took his re-election for granted working hard to assure himself and democrats across the country of re-election. In the end Gore enjoyed a massive landslide bigger than even FDR had managed in 1936… beating Goldwater in the electoral college by 506 votes to 34 (LA and GA would very probably have gone to a more cautious moderate democrat than LBJ). Gore first full term was largely a placid four years, on the domestic front he worked hard to keep spending down vetoing a succession of ambitious plans from the democratic congress, on civil right he continued to move at an increasingly fast pace, this alienated many southerners who began to turn to the republican party for the first time however Gore was careful to make sure that this flow of “Dixiecrats” to the GOP did not become a flood and was careful to strike a balance between the demands of some black leaders and the concerns (largely unfounded) of white southern democrats. In foreign affairs the cold war remained tense and chilly…in the Dominican Republic US forces crushed a Communist Government and around Cuba the trade embargo was strengthened in the post-colonial world also US aid flowed anti-communist regimes. In 1968 Gore faced a challenge from the left of the party in the form of Senator Eugene McCarthy however the challenge of the Minnesotan Senator largely fell flat after he captured a scant 19% in the New Hampshire primary and Gore ploughed on while at the same time republicans battled it out for their party’s nomination the GOP battle largely boiling down to two candidates Nelson Rockefeller and Richard Nixon. During the summer of 1968 Gore was very concerned about the Soviet moves against Czechoslovakia and the possible threat of a communist coup in France however in both cases he showed grit and determination, in the case of the Czech crisis he called a summit with the new Soviet leader Brezhnev in Geneva and a soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia was narrowly averted and the basis for further talks was created , in France the strikes and student riots eventually collapsed as the workers and the students continually disagree and eventually the students where left isolated and the few remaining rebels where toppled by the police and President De Gaulle’ authority was cemented once again… The boost that Gore had received from his talks with Brezhnev and the growth in the economy (which had slowed down some what from it peak in the mid 1960’s) made it very difficult for the GOP candidate Senator Richard Nixon to find fault his hopes of running as tough on the soviets had backfired with Gore’s diplomatic successes and his hopes of an opening on the economy also proved illusory however despite all of this Nixon ran a good campaign and put in three good performances in the presidential debates and managed to allow the Republican party a solid recovery from its Nadir in 1964… winning 46% of the vote to Gore’s 52% at the same time while the democratic majority in the house remained fairly solid the GOP made great gains in the senate which slashed the Democratic majority in the upper camber to just six seats. In Gore’s second term the economic slow down of the late 1960’s continued as the manufactures of West Germany and Japan began to incur on markets which America had once dominated and unemployment in the US began to rise as manufactures where forced to close. Despite the poor state of the economy Gore was still able to build on his success at Geneva in 1968 and in 1971 agreed to the SALT I treaty which reduced both US and Soviet arms and moved to bring the USSR into economic dependency on US exports. Despite the fact that Gore was still personally popular many American voters where now looking for a change and in 1972 the likely republican nominee Senator Robert Dole was receiving much positive press from some unlikely sources.  
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 12:55:08 PM »

1972-1976 : Robert Dole/ Spiro Agnew

Dole fought an initially underdog campaign against the long time Gore VP and liberal democrat Edmund Muskie, despite Muskie’s strength in New England and the Midwest, Dole was able to capitalise on low democratic turnout in the south to sweep the Deep South (Gore’s personal intervention largely saving Muskie in the upper south on Election Day), added to this in the critical states of Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York Dole racked up solid victories over Muskie even making inroads into his New England and Midwestern strongholds, taking Connecticut and New Hampshire as well as Illinois and Missouri. As Dole cemented a solid victory for the GOP, in the senate the Republicans finally won a majority over the Democrats. In foreign affairs Dole was very similar to Gore and continued what had become know as the policy of “Détente” with both the USSR and China (becoming the first US president to visit China, in a visit that had been planned for Muskie). However the declining economy still did not recover with steadily increasing unemployment and slowing down consumer spending that even Dole’s tax cuts could not remedy, however in 1973 the killer blow came with the Yom-Kippur war which was followed by OPEC raising global oil prices, unprepared the US suffered badly and in 1974 the Democrats took the Senate, with the oil embargo the US economy’s slow down became a full scale recession and the legislative gridlock even in the face of Dole’s modest proposals left the US in a state of decline, but despite this polls showed that voters still had an amazingly evenly split preference between the Party’s, largely thanks to the lack of effective national leadership within the Democratic Party. However many within the GOP on the right where disappointed with Dole and his tendency to try and accommodate democrats in the spirit of being bipartisan, and on polices as diverse as spending to abortion the GOP grassroots simmered with anger at the incumbent president, sensing the mood of the party and the nation as a whole the Californian governor and maverick conservative Ronal Reagan announced that he would challenge Dole for the GOP nomination. In a dramatic contest (which largely eclipsed the democrat’s acrimonious selection of Georgia Governor Jimmy Carter as their nominee) Dole beat off Reagan’s challenge by the slimmest of margins and partially thanks to the efforts of his conservative VP Spiro Agnew.

1976-1980 : Jimmy Carter/ Walter Mondale (Democratic)

In the 1976 presidential election Dole nearly pulled off duel triumphs first over Reagan and then over carter, however eventually voters concerns over the economy and other issues eclipsed their doubts over the pious former Georgian governor Jimmy Carter. And Jimmy Carter thanks largely to him sweeping the south was elected president over the incumbent President Dole.

From here on things are as they where… Carter’s Administration faces massive crisis and is unable to deal with them quickly or effectively… in 1980 Ronald Reagan finally wins the GOP nomination and despite a volatile presidential election he eventually soundly beats Carter and become President.

1980-1988 : Ronal Reagan/ George Bush (Republican)

As it was pretty much in reality.

1988-1992 : George Bush/ Dan Quayle (Republican)

Again pretty much as it was in reality.

1992-2000: Al Gore Jr/ Lloyd Bentsen (Democratic)

Pretty much as Clinton’s Presidency was, minus the sex scandals, and perhaps the “Gingrich Revolution”.

2000-20? : John McCain/ Bill Frist (Republican).

A slightly less divisive GOP administration (wow Republicans wont like me saying that but hell… it’ll be ok)…. ?                                

PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 04:18:49 PM »

Very nice. Not partisan or biased.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 04:28:23 PM »

Very nice. Not partisan or biased.

how is it biased?
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 04:29:04 PM »

It is not biased.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004, 04:29:19 PM »

he said it isn't.

PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2004, 04:30:00 PM »

Isn't that a great picture?
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2004, 04:30:33 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2004, 04:30:51 PM by Ben »

Ah... sorry i must be getting tetchy in my old age Smiley sorry ... but i was really trying to be as non-partisan as i could be and of a i suceeded great so thanks Smiley  
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2004, 04:30:35 PM »

yeah, teeheehee, poor Dewey.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2004, 04:32:02 PM »

Yes, poor Dewey.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2004, 04:32:04 PM »

I have say that Dewey and Warren would have been great presidents... IMHO... Warren especially...  
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2004, 04:32:39 PM »

Yes, they would have been.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2004, 04:33:23 PM »

Truman was good, I am not so fond of Warren, mainly because of the Warren Report on JFK's death.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2004, 04:37:31 PM »

I must confess that I was reading about Goldwater a little while back and by today’s standards he wasn’t radically rightwing, seems like more of a libertarian to me… decent guy imho… wouldnt have voted for him but painting him as a creepy radical was unfair the guy did care a great deal… I seem to remember that Kennedy and Goldwater where friends and has agreed that if Goldwater was nominated they would try and pursue as even handed and civil a campaign as possible… it probably an unpopular view for a democrat to hold but a lot of the partisan bitterness in this country can be traced back the elections of 1964 and 1968 imho…  
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2004, 04:39:54 PM »

I must confess that I was reading about Goldwater a little while back and by today’s standards he wasn’t radically rightwing, seems like more of a libertarian to me… decent guy imho… wouldnt have voted for him but painting him as a creepy radical was unfair the guy did care a great deal… I seem to remember that Kennedy and Goldwater where friends and has agreed that if Goldwater was nominated they would try and pursue as even handed and civil a campaign as possible… it probably an unpopular view for a democrat to hold but a lot of the partisan bitterness in this country can be traced back the elections of 1964 and 1968 imho…  

well LBJ was an asshole, in his attempts to get the nomination in 1960 he did a lot of smearing of his opponents in the democratic party.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2004, 04:41:44 PM »

Truman was good, I am not so fond of Warren, mainly because of the Warren Report on JFK's death.

Take a look at his record as California governor... they guy was amazing it was either 1944 or 1946 but both party's nominated him for Governor and had Ike not run in 1952 Warren would probably have got the GOP nomination... added to this he was one of the biggest single forces behind the advancement of civil rights in the USA the Supreme Courts ruling on Brown v Board of Education where of immense significance... but you have a point about the Warren report then again I subscribe to the "lone gunman theory" but I do have an open mind and the report was shoddy imho...    
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2004, 04:43:44 PM »

Take a look at his record as California governor... they guy was amazing it was either 1944 or 1946 but both party's nominated him for Governor and had Ike not run in 1952 Warren would probably have got the GOP nomination... added to this he was one of the biggest single forces behind the advancement of civil rights in the USA the Supreme Courts ruling on Brown v Board of Education where of immense significance... but you have a point about the Warren report then again I subscribe to the "lone gunman theory" but I do have an open mind and the report was shoddy imho...    

I know all about Brown v Board of Education Topeka, Kansas, learnt about it at school.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2004, 04:47:30 PM »

I know all about Brown v Board of Education Topeka, Kansas, learnt about it at school.

... sorry if I sounded condescending didn’t mean to ... but I have a great deal of time for Warren but as you said the Warren report was a load a  $%&^%(*"&£$ Smiley  
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies