Why do paleoconservative conspiracy theorists always turn out to be fundies?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:41:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Why do paleoconservative conspiracy theorists always turn out to be fundies?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why do paleoconservative conspiracy theorists always turn out to be fundies?  (Read 838 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2014, 10:23:28 PM »
« edited: July 02, 2014, 10:26:47 PM by Emperor Scott »

Warning: Generalizations ahead.

As the thread title says, why do paleoconservative conspiracy theorists (almost) always turn out to have fundamentalistic religious beliefs?  I understand that conservative Christianity and traditionalism are basically tenets of paleoconservatism per definition, but it seems that the folks who are most adamant about skepticism (irrational skepticism, but skepticism nonetheless) tend to have an interpretation of the Bible that's more literal than that of arguably most conventional religious conservatives.

So, are paleoconsevative conservative theorists either strictly guided by a religious worldview that encourages the questioning and profoundly irrational concern of literally everything but the worldview itself, or is there another angle to it that I'm just not seeing?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 10:36:10 PM »

Can you give an example of a "paleoconservative" conspiracy theory?

Because I think there are plenty of "9/11 was an inside job" types who aren't very religious or might be atheist or agnostic. Same with vaccines. And a lot of the UN-related ones tend to attract libertarians who often don't fit the mold of Christian fundamentalist.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 10:40:20 PM »

It might have to do with some sort of mindset that mixing those two ideologies brings about (referring to evangelical Christianity as an ideology here for simplicity's sake).

Counter-point would be Pat Buchanan, though I'm not sure if he's in the conspirazone.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 10:44:15 PM »

Because I think there are plenty of "9/11 was an inside job" types who aren't very religious or might be atheist or agnostic. Same with vaccines. And a lot of the UN-related ones tend to attract libertarians who often don't fit the mold of Christian fundamentalist.

Take the stuff this guy is apparently so paranoid about, for example.

I've acknowledged that the OP sounds a little over-generalizing, but I'm not talking about the non-religious conspiracy theorists.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 10:58:26 PM »

I've acknowledged that the OP sounds a little over-generalizing, but I'm not talking about the non-religious conspiracy theorists.

religious conspiracy theorists are religious? Tongue
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »

Conspiracy theorists tend to see things in apocalyptic terms, which is also a feature of much of American religious fundamentalism, so it makes sense that there is a correlation.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 11:08:20 PM »

I don't think religious paleoconservative-types like NJ Christian and Chuck Baldwin (I assume this is the kind of person you're talking about) are that skeptical or questioning about everything, just organizations and institutions that their ideology causes them to distrust, like the UN, the Federal government, multinational corporations, etc.

Also, Agenda 21 and REAL ID are undeniably real.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 11:32:18 PM »

religious conspiracy theorists are religious? Tongue

I've been having serious communication problems with people lately... Tongue

But, yes, I'm specifically inferring about the relationship between religious fundamentalism and conspiracy theorists who claim to be religious paleoconservatives.

I don't think religious paleoconservative-types like NJ Christian and Chuck Baldwin (I assume this is the kind of person you're talking about) are that skeptical or questioning about everything, just organizations and institutions that their ideology causes them to distrust, like the UN, the Federal government, multinational corporations, etc.

So in other words, religion is generally the reason that these conspiracy theorists question those institutions rather than something which exists outside the purview of their political ideology?

I mean, I suppose that was obvious, but it also seems rather disingenuous that one would question just about everything involving some form of hierarchy with the exception of religious dogma.*  I don't come across many paleocons who've cooked up a bunch of inordinate theories about Christianity or their churches.

*inb4 HockeyDude
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 11:51:11 PM »

So in other words, religion is generally the reason that these conspiracy theorists question those institutions rather than something which exists outside the purview of their political ideology?

I mean, I suppose that was obvious, but it also seems rather disingenuous that one would question just about everything involving some form of hierarchy with the exception of religious dogma.*  I don't come across many paleocons who've cooked up a bunch of inordinate theories about Christianity or their churches.

I think we are talking mainly about an evangelical religious tradition that has been historically been somewhat suspect of religious hierarchy (as opposed to dogma, which is believed to come directly from God), and suspect of Catholicism especially.  All the old conspiracies that labeled the Catholic church as "anti-Christ" have been transferred to the UN and like organizations, the idea being of an organization that set itself up against God as a false idol, that is simultaneously a threat to American sovereignty and freedom.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 06:51:58 PM »

The two compliment each other very well. They have very similar worldviews. I would imagine that many paleconservative conspiracy theorists are paleoconservative conspiracy theorists because their Christian fundamentalism compels them into believing in the paleconservative ideals.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 06:41:21 PM »

The two compliment each other very well. They have very similar worldviews. I would imagine that many paleconservative conspiracy theorists are paleoconservative conspiracy theorists because their Christian fundamentalism compels them into believing in the paleconservative ideals.

I just think their literalism conflicts so much with objective knowledge that they have conspiracies to justify it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies